Windows 10: Glitches in my Administrator Account - not in other accounts

Discus and support Glitches in my Administrator Account - not in other accounts in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Icons on my Desktop don't work correctly (my main Administrator Account) - but work in other accounts. How do I repair my main account? Thank you in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nisko, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Nisko Win User

Glitches in my Administrator Account - not in other accounts

Icons on my Desktop don't work correctly (my main Administrator Account) - but work in other accounts. How do I repair my main account? Thank you in advance.

:)

Nisko, Jul 23, 2017

2. After updates installed on 10/2, HP Laserjet Pro 400 doesn't work

My printer problem as been resolved. It was not any of the virus protection programs but a glitch within the Account Administrator file/program. Solution consisted of creating an elevated level Account Administrator, and my printer program loaded just
    fine.

CarolRolling, Jul 23, 2017
  3. Parental Control Screen Time locked BUG

-Im using my Microsoft account in both pc and only one that happen to glitch

-I dont use a local account

- The screen time was removed online.

- *Im an administrator(This account) in both of the pc

Piyawat Phuwawatthanasate, Jul 23, 2017
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Hi, again, Nisko. User icons and other data are stored on a per user basis in a hidden file call NTUSR.DAT. Sometimes they can get a little whacked out. Check this tutorial and see if it will clear it up for you.

Rebuild Icon Cache in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

f14tomcat, Jul 23, 2017
  5. Nisko Win User
    Before I try, I'd like to be more specific.

I cannot delete an empty icon from the Desktop. Right clicking makes the screen go black (the menu does not appear) for a couple of seconds, then my wallpaper reappears, then my Desktop icons appear.

I cannot change the name of the icon. Right clicking brings up the menu - then the same thing happens as above.

Nisko, Jul 23, 2017
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    Is it a system icon, or an app icon?

f14tomcat, Jul 23, 2017
  7. Nisko Win User
    The empty icon is labeled "Temp" and I placed it there. However, it appears that I never put anything in the app.

The other apps I tried were app icons and I got the dropdown menu. However, when I clicked on a selection, the screen went black again - as my previous post.

If I click on "This Computer" or, for instance, a folder icon, no dropdown menu and screen goes black.

If I open "Desktop", all the "icons" work. So far, it seems that the only problem is with the Desktop.

Nisko, Jul 23, 2017
  8. f14tomcat Win User

I would still try that cache reset tutorial. Does this happen even if you sign off and back on? Do a restart?

f14tomcat, Jul 23, 2017
  9. Nisko Win User
    Oh yes, I've done many restarts. I'll follow the tutorial next. Thanks.

Nisko, Jul 23, 2017
  10. Nisko Win User
    Is there a way to move EVERYTHING to a new account - and that might solve my Desktop issue?

Nisko, Jul 23, 2017
  11. f14tomcat Win User
    One step at a time. Have you tried the tutorial?

f14tomcat, Jul 23, 2017
  12. Nisko Win User
    I want to try the tutorial - but I have a question: I have MANY custom icons on my Desktop. Will they revert to the standard icons?

Nisko, Jul 23, 2017
  13. f14tomcat Win User

I don't know. The author of the tut may, @Brink .....

f14tomcat, Jul 23, 2017
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Nisko, *Smile

No worries. Rebuilding the icon cache will not affect your custom icons.

Brink, Jul 23, 2017
  15. Nisko Win User
    OK, rebuilt the icon cache but that didn't help. I also tried two other accounts and I have the same problem (I can't do anything with the drop down list. Right clicking on the icon will bring up the drop down list but, after a few seconds, the screen goes black for a couple of seconds - and then the icons and wallpaper appear again. I wonder if the wallpaper is corrupted.

Nisko, Jul 23, 2017
Thema:

1. Glitches in my Administrator Account - not in other accounts - Similar Threads - Glitches Administrator Account

2. How to reset or delete the password of the administrator account and other accounts?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reset or delete the password of the administrator account and other accounts?: How to reset or delete the password of the administrator account and other accounts? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reset-or-delete-the-password-of-the/ae75df6a-d69c-4976-838a-849b469d8fa4
  3. How to reset or delete the password of the administrator account and other accounts?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to reset or delete the password of the administrator account and other accounts?: How to reset or delete the password of the administrator account and other accounts? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reset-or-delete-the-password-of-the/ae75df6a-d69c-4976-838a-849b469d8fa4
  4. Accounts Are Glitched

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accounts Are Glitched: This is a new install of Windows 11 Home, upgraded to Pro.I'm having trouble with various accounts, particularly with Email accounts. Somehow I've created Email accounts in Settings, but they're not working in the native Windows 11 Mail client. They don't get email and when I...
  5. Accounts Are Glitched

Accounts Are Glitched: This is a new install of Windows 11 Home, upgraded to Pro.I'm having trouble with various accounts, particularly with Email accounts. Somehow I've created Email accounts in Settings, but they're not working in the native Windows 11 Mail client. They don't get email and when I...
  6. Administrator account

Administrator account: I have purchased Office365, but using a Microsoft account different from the account which I use to sign into Windows. Is it possible for me to change the administrator account to the one I used to purchase Office365?Kind regards,Padraig...
  7. Other account with no administrator account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Other account with no administrator account: Hello. Is there possibility how to fix the problem with other user on lock screen and no administrator account in computer? I lost administrator account when my university changed e-mails and they block one which has administrator privillege. Then I find out how to sign in...
  8. No administrator account and other problems after updates

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    No administrator account and other problems after updates: after update have I no administrator user account on computer just local and I can't add or change the user account because I get UAC box with message "access denied". The box contains NO as only response, with small message saying "to continue enter admin user name &...
  9. Other Accounts does not appear except Administrator Account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Other Accounts does not appear except Administrator Account: i Have 12 more accounts(administrator) except Main Administrator Account (which is logged in with microsoft account). When i try to switch between accounts there only appears the single account which is Main Administrator Account. There is no other account. Please help me...
  10. I can only use other accounts, not the administrator account because the administrator...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I can only use other accounts, not the administrator account because the administrator...: Is there anyway to reset the password without resetting my PC? If so I would be grateful! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-can-only-use-other-accounts-not-the/e6c6fac4-d923-4d95-b11a-54babf53de50