Windows 10: gMail Question

Discus and support gMail Question in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi, I'm a complete noob using any version of windows, and I'm 67 years old. I just got Win10 with my Intel NUC PC. It was pre-installed, which... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by stub, Sep 15, 2017.

1. stub Win User

gMail Question

Hi,

I'm a complete noob using any version of windows, and I'm 67 years old. I just got Win10 with my Intel NUC PC. It was pre-installed, which probably doesn't help with my understanding, although it might not be the reason for my non-understanding. My path in OS's to this point has been Dos, OS/2, Linux openSUSE. I consider myself relatively competent with computers generally, but not very competent with stuff like Internet connectivity, although I generally have been able to make them work.

The first and only thing I've done to date is connect everything together and see that it's all working.

The next thing I did was download and install Chrome and make it my default browser. I then went straight to gmail.com and setup all my gMail accounts. Now here is where I get my first problem. I haven't touched the Mail part of Win10 at all.I have only maybe in the last year switched to using IMAP with my gMail accounts. I can see the advantages of not downloading any of this gMail stuff and doing it all online at gMail. So probably my first question.

1) Is downloading gMail eMail now obsolete, or is there any good reason to continue to download it? And to what? I have been familiar with downloading everything and replying, rather than logging in and out of numerous gMail accounts. Which sounds laborious.

So I thought I should re-create all these gMail accounts (about 15 of them) in WIN10. So I went to Mail>Add Account>Google> and it gave me the Google Login, but it insists I use Windows to manage my eMail.

2) So my second question. Is that correct? That I give up gMails management of my accounts for Windows to manage them?

3) I also have about 5 other email accounts related to domains I'm hosting. I presume these would be setup as Other Account, POP, IMAP.

4) And I suppose finally, are there any solutions which would operate in a way which would allow me to see all my email in my accounts without having to download everything. I don't really think I need a backup of the gMail accounts. To date. Like now, when upgrading to Win10. It's always been the other way around. I've always used Thunderbird as my email client, until now. I'm not championing it, if there is something better.

stu

:)

2. Arul_D Win User

Gmail contacts in in Win10

Hello,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

I would like to ask few questions regarding this issue for a better understanding. Please answer these questions:

• Is this issue specific to Gmail?

• Have you linked Gmail account to Outlook?
    If this issue specific to Gmail, I would suggest you to contact Gmail support for further assistance. Refer to the below link and check if it helps.

productforums.google.com/d/forum/gmail

Reply us back with more information. We will be glad to assist.

Arul_D, Sep 15, 2017
  3. Entegy Win User
    WP7: Deleting Gmail questions

Google has done a very odd implementation of ActiveSync. By default, when you delete email from your phone, it will be archived instead of deleted.

To change this, visit m.google.com/sync
    on your phone and sign into your Gmail account. Choose the WindowsPhone device and turn on the option "Enable "Delete email as Trash" for this device" and tap save.

Now on your phone, go to Settings>email + accounts and hold your finger down on your Gmail account until a menu appears. Choose "sync". When the sync is done, all future email you delete should be properly deleted.

Entegy, Sep 15, 2017
  4. clam1952 Win User

gMail Question

I use Thunderbird in Windows and Linux with Gmail and a couple of others, it works and I've used it for a very long time, can't see any reason to change what works.
    No need to let Microsoft take control.

clam1952, Sep 15, 2017
  5. Check out POP Peeper. It is simple (to my liking), yet powerful. I use it as my email client.

TairikuOkami, Sep 15, 2017
  6. Helmut Win User
    Hi,
    1) IMAP is the general way to go these days, I changed about 4 years ago.

2) Exactly the same in that respect. You can use Gmail to access other Email Accounts if you wish to do it that way, or use an Email client. The Windows 10 Mail App is built in. It's use is optional, think that is 3) is your message.

You can still access each Email Account with a Web Browser interface.

You can still use another Email Clients like Thunderbird or whatever.

Basically nothing has changed.

Helmut, Sep 15, 2017
  7. Plankton Win User
    Question: Doesn't an email client download the email?

Plankton, Sep 15, 2017
  8. stub Win User

gMail Question

So your suggestion would be to continue to use Thunderbird and continue to download all my gMail into Thunderbird? There isn't any better email client? I'm a complete noob with what is available in Win10,

9. stub Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look at it.

10. stub Win User
    Yep. I understand IMAP is better than POP3 *Smile

Thunderbird is the email client I'm used to, But I'm not wedded to it, if there is anything superior. What I need is something that reads and replies to all my emails (gMail and hosted eMail) with ease and transparency. Without having to login to each account manually. Unlike my current setup where I have to login to each gMail account to read the mail (which I understand is a transitional phase). As I understand it Thunderbird will do all this. My question is. Is there something else, better than Thunderbird, at doing this, that I should be considering? Not knowing ZIP about Windows.

11. stub Win User
    Sure. But is it stored on the hard disk when the app has closed? Maybe a naive answer/question?

12. simrick Win User
    Hi.
    If you have a lot of email addresses, an email client certainly makes things a lot easier. Yes, email clients download everything and store it locally. Thunderbird is a great email client. The in-built Mail in Windows 10 is a bare-bones, down-and-dirty email client only. I'd stick with Thunderbird. Anything else remotely as good is not free. (MailBird, Outlook, etc.)

simrick, Sep 16, 2017
  13. stub Win User

gMail Question

Thank you.

14. simrick Win User
    Quite welcome!

simrick, Sep 16, 2017
  15. stub Win User
    Wow! It took me almost a full day to download all my 15 gmail accounts into Thunderbird (for Windows 10). About 1/2 million messages or more. It wasn't helped by my WiFi connection apparently turning itself off on occasions. Not sure why that happened. But it did cause some large chunks of messages to download more than once. Sometimes the speed was awfully slow also. Needed close attention for most of the time. Still it's done now. Phew!

I haven't been very conscious about clearing out all the spam or the incorrect labeling for folders like Spam, Trash, Important, Starred. So still have quite a lot to do *Sad

Thema:

gMail Question

1. gMail Question - Similar Threads - gMail Question

2. How to post a question in the gmail community forum

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to post a question in the gmail community forum: I need to take my PC into Best Buy for repairs, so for a whlle I'll need to post questions about gmail at that forum,. This is the proverbial catch-22, Task ask A requires task B which requires Task A, which requires...Thanks for your help.Phillip aka SweetTasha...
  3. How to post a question in the gmail community forum

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to post a question in the gmail community forum: I need to take my PC into Best Buy for repairs, so for a whlle I'll need to post questions about gmail at that forum,. This is the proverbial catch-22, Task ask A requires task B which requires Task A, which requires...Thanks for your help.Phillip aka SweetTasha...
  4. How to post a question in the gmail community forum

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Question aout GMail popup message

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question aout GMail popup message: I am unable to find the answer from Google/Gmail about the meaning of a small message appearing each time I open Gmail inbox. Can anyone advise me?Message: mail.google.com wants to open email links.Option boxes: allow or block.My question: Links to what and should I opt to...
  6. Question aout GMail popup message

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question aout GMail popup message: I am unable to find the answer from Google/Gmail about the meaning of a small message appearing each time I open Gmail inbox. Can anyone advise me?Message: mail.google.com wants to open email links.Option boxes: allow or block.My question: Links to what and should I opt to...
  7. Question aout GMail popup message

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Gmail Question...

in Browsers and Email
    Gmail Question...: I don't know when this started and it is aggravating to a point. When hovering over any folder in the left column its respective label appears. Is there a way to defeat this behavior? I already have Hover Actions disabled in Settings >General 183092
  9. Gmail IP address question

in Browsers and Email
    Gmail IP address question: If a gmail email is sent out to a gmail or a normal (non free) email address. Can the receiver find out the sender gmail IP or the address/location that the sender sent out from? Thanks 182299
  10. Gmail IP address question

in Windows 10 Support
    Gmail IP address question: If a gmail email is sent out to a gmail or a normal (non free) email address. Can the receiver find out the sender gmail IP or the address/location that the sender sent out from? Thanks 182299