Windows 10: Go Back to the Previous Version of Windows in Windows 10

Discus and support Go Back to the Previous Version of Windows in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Hi! So I just got my copy of Windows 10 today and it turned out to be a complete disaster. I am currently waiting for my laptop to go back to previous... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by caperjack, Feb 9, 2015.

1. nemus Win User

Go Back to the Previous Version of Windows in Windows 10

Hi! So I just got my copy of Windows 10 today and it turned out to be a complete disaster. I am currently waiting for my laptop to go back to previous build and will then proceed to reset to factory settings, as I read at the top of this thread that this is only a temporary fix for a month until it rolls back.

I understand it will take a while, so I have got out my other two laptops in the meantime preparing to download lots of stuff that is best done with a firewall ready for the new factory reset.

I ended up in this mess as my AMD graphics software did not seem to like Windows 10 at all, the catalyst software was unable to function so I downloaded the AMD driver checker and it started to download the catalyst software. Half way through the install, the screen went blank and the cursor froze. I had to shut it down manually and since then, I have been unable to access Windows 10 at all.

Not impressed really and I will not be installing Windows 10 again, once this ordeal is over, then I will remove it completely, it's way too unstable.

Thanks alot Microsoft, all my apps, settings and programs have been uninstalled. Hopefully my files will still be intact, but I am not overly optimistic about that either, there is over 700 GB of files that could be at risk.

Does anyone have any idea how this could have been avoided?

nemus, Jul 29, 2015
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Nemus, and welcome to Ten Forums.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but it seemed to have been caused by an interrupted AMD driver installation. *Sad

Brink, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Similar issues with me. I'm on go back to previous build blue screen, with restarting still after 4-5 hours, should I try again or wait till tommorow morning?

This is 2 whole days I havent been able to use my laptop, I don't why I installed windows 10, I just clicked on like a dummy!!! Lol

Khalilah28, Jul 30, 2015
  4. ARC1020 Win User

Just a note. When going back from Windows 10 to Windows 8.1, the 'Upgrade to Windows 10' Windows Update banner and $Windows.~BT folder are still there where they were before. However, despite the $Windows.~BT folder still having the files in it from before upgrading to Windows 10, Windows 8.1 started downloading the whole lot again.

I left it too late, so just let it download the whole lot again, however if you don't want to go back to Windows 10 again, it maybe worth trying to uninstall the KB3035583 Update before it starts downloading and save wasting an extra 5GB of bandwidth.

Go Back to the Previous Version of Windows in Windows 10 [​IMG]

ARC1020, Jul 30, 2015
  5. I am in the process in going back to previous windows .it is taking soo much time.it already took 100 mins..how much it will take to get back ?

Sourav ghosh, Aug 4, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Sourav, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

That will vary from system to system, and if there's any issues that could slow it down. As long as you have hard drive activity, it's best to let it sit until finished.

Brink, Aug 4, 2015
  7. Trapper Win User
    Brink wrote.
    I installed W7 around 5 years ago and have run CCleaner and Disk Cleanup many times over the years. Will this mean I will not be able to revert back to W7 at all? *Sad

Trapper, Aug 5, 2015
  8. Gear29 Win User

Installed Windows 10 and then my display started flickering like a strobe light. Couldn't open anything, start menu was inaccessible, and couldn't click on anything. All I could do is Ctrl+Alt+Del. So I followed the directions on this thread and tried to go back to my previous Windows 7 build, but it's been 8 hours now and it's still saying restarting and the little circle of dots is still spinning around next to where it says restarting. And I can still move my cursor around. Did Windows kill my computer?

Gear29, Aug 5, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Only if you clean install W7. *Sad

Brink, Aug 5, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Gear, and welcome to Ten Forums.

If you still have hard drive activity, then it would be best to let it sit in hopes of it eventually finishing. Otherwise, you may need to clean install Windows 7.

Brink, Aug 5, 2015
  11. Trapper Win User
    Looks like I will not be installing Win 10 in the foreseeable future then. I may not be able to go forward or backwards. I have a W7 System Image but have this sinking feeling that overall I would be better to accept that old saying "If it ain't busted, don't fix it"!!

I have W7 running well with no problems, I have a spare 279GB HD installed that I could install W10 on but then would not be able to run Office 2010 with only one license. I would also have to install all my other programs and settings and I still do not know it will all work.

Trapper, Aug 5, 2015
  12. Gear29 Win User
    I really hope not. But I guess I got what I paid for :-/ It's what I get for thinking Windows could actually roll out an OS that wasn't junk. It's been 20 hours, what should I do? Should I just turn off the computer? How do I go about doing a clean install?

Gear29, Aug 5, 2015
  13. Stoudt Win User

Did the blue screen that said restarting ever finish? Mine has been going on for hours now.

Stoudt, Aug 6, 2015
  14. Stoudt Win User
    Did it ever finish restarting???

Stoudt, Aug 6, 2015
  15. Stoudt Win User
    Did the blue screen ever go away and did the computer ever restart?

Stoudt, Aug 6, 2015
Thema:

1. Go Back to the Previous Version of Windows in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Previous Version

2. Onedrive says there are no previous versions available from which to restore although I can...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive says there are no previous versions available from which to restore although I can...: My Onedrive is displaying a version of a file last updated in July of 2023 even though I updated the file as recently as Friday April 12th, 2024 I can see there was a version saved on the 12th in version history but Restore says there are no previous versions available.....
  3. Onedrive says there are no previous versions available from which to restore although I can...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive says there are no previous versions available from which to restore although I can...: My Onedrive is displaying a version of a file last updated in July of 2023 even though I updated the file as recently as Friday April 12th, 2024 I can see there was a version saved on the 12th in version history but Restore says there are no previous versions available.....
  4. Onedrive says there are no previous versions available from which to restore although I can...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Delete previous versions from Sharepoint Site

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete previous versions from Sharepoint Site: Hello,I found that every file in every sharepoint site in our tenant has multiple previous versions, up to 100 per file. Are there any way to delete all previous versions in bulk, except last three for whole site? Or just all previous versions?Thanks in advance...
  6. Delete previous versions from Sharepoint Site

Delete previous versions from Sharepoint Site: Hello,I found that every file in every sharepoint site in our tenant has multiple previous versions, up to 100 per file. Are there any way to delete all previous versions in bulk, except last three for whole site? Or just all previous versions?Thanks in advance...
  7. I am unable to access my encrypted files that were encrypted in a previous version of Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am unable to access my encrypted files that were encrypted in a previous version of Windows: Hello there,I am facing a serious issue that I caused by mistake. Previously, I was using Windows 10 and I had applied BitLocker on my personal drive and encrypted the files inside it from their properties. I had not used my laptop for a while, as I had a new system. However,...
  8. I am unable to access my encrypted files that were encrypted in a previous version of Windows

I am unable to access my encrypted files that were encrypted in a previous version of Windows: Hello there,I am facing a serious issue that I caused by mistake. Previously, I was using Windows 10 and I had applied BitLocker on my personal drive and encrypted the files inside it from their properties. I had not used my laptop for a while, as I had a new system. However,...
  9. App Installer Launch button does not work when reinstalling a previous version of a .Net...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    App Installer Launch button does not work when reinstalling a previous version of a .Net...: I have packaged a .Net Framework 4.6.1 application using the command line to create a MSIX package. The application installs properly. The situation is that if version 2 is installed and I clicked the version 1 MSIX packed, reinstall of version 1 is successful but the "App...
  10. App Installer Launch button does not work when reinstalling a previous version of a .Net...

App Installer Launch button does not work when reinstalling a previous version of a .Net...: I have packaged a .Net Framework 4.6.1 application using the command line to create a MSIX package. The application installs properly. The situation is that if version 2 is installed and I clicked the version 1 MSIX packed, reinstall of version 1 is successful but the "App...