Windows 10: "Go back to Windows 8.1" option is still there after 33 days

Discus and support "Go back to Windows 8.1" option is still there after 33 days in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; 33 days ago I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1, and it went smoothly. Now 33 days later the option "Go back to Windows 8.1" is still there... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by welbeck09, Feb 14, 2016.

1. welbeck09 Win User

"Go back to Windows 8.1" option is still there after 33 days

33 days ago I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1, and it went smoothly.

Now 33 days later the option "Go back to Windows 8.1" is still there under Settings/Recovery and so is windows.old.

It causing me no issues but its odd that Windows has not removed this option and cleaned up my disc drive and released back that disc space.

Does anyone have any suggestions to what went wrong and to activate this cleanup.

:)

welbeck09, Feb 14, 2016

2. Switch back to Windows 8.1 from Windows 10?

Settings, UpdateSecurity, Recover.

Anonymous Insider, Feb 14, 2016
  3. Lumia " The Future is Here "

This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

I suggest you directly submit your complaints about hardware to Nokia and software to Microsoft.

Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

psychomania---01, Feb 14, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello and welcome to TenForums!

It sometimes takes up to 5 or more days for the automatic removal to take effect. Look again after about 36 days.

philc43, Feb 14, 2016
  5. Hello a second time! welbeck09 And a second Welcome to the Ten Forums!

I still see Windows 7 on the Backup & Restore label in the Control Panel since the initial upgrade install was from 7 here but I continued on later by the Threshold 2 upgrade over a fresh copy of 10. Yet 10 still remembers I had 7 on and still do but on second drive by itself.

"Go back to Windows 8.1" option is still there after 33 days [​IMG]

After this since last July until now I think I am well past the 30day mark! *Smile I suspect that will remain once the Threshold 3 and what comes after arrives as well. The option to roll back wouldn't be there for me since the original upgrade had already been replaced with a clean install of 10.

Night Hawk, Feb 14, 2016
  6. lx07 Win User
    That is a standard part of Windows 10 and nothing to do with having had Windows 7.

7. I wouldn't be in so much of a rush to say that quite yet as Welbeck09 is seeing 8.1 not 7 on his Backup and Restore labeling. Once I reboot into 7 again where I have an activate 10 Pro VM that never saw any upgrade I can grab a snipping of that.

Night Hawk, Feb 14, 2016
  8. philc43 Win User

My understanding is that welbeck09 is talking about the Settings -> Recovery option and not the Backup and Restore in the Control Panel.

My Recovery does not have any Go Back to Windows 8.1 since I upgraded months ago.

"Go back to Windows 8.1" option is still there after 33 days [​IMG]

philc43, Feb 14, 2016
  9. lx07 Win User
    If you want you can run disk cleanup manually, click on "Cleanup System Files" and tick the option to remove Previous Windows installations as described in option 1 here Windows.old Folder - Delete in Windows 10

10. welbeck09 Win User
    Many thanks philc43 for your quick and helpful response, I needed that reassurance.

Fingers crossed in a few days time Windows 10 cleans up the old 8.1 folders etc.

Regards

welbeck09, Feb 14, 2016
  11. You wouldn't have to worry about any reversal to 8.1 anyways unless you used that option within the allowed time period. The Windows.old folder as well as not having run the Disk Cleanup tool would be two essentials for going back. Otherwise as you would now as well a clean install of the previous version would be needed.

In fact the concern for many is not seeing 10 go on at all as they prefer to continue running one of the previous versions. Here I simply elected to make a different type of compromise by seeing 10 dual boot with 7 by way of buying a separate license for 10 rather then simply toss 7 away. That decision was made after a good close up look at 10 as compared to the 8, 8.1 line up which didn't go over well.

Night Hawk, Feb 14, 2016
  12. welbeck09 Win User
    Many thanks philc43, you were right. The computer has just removed the old 8.1 version a few minutes ago.

Regards

welbeck09, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. "Go back to Windows 8.1" option is still there after 33 days - Similar Threads - option still days

2. Going Back to Windows 10 to Windows 8

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Going Back to Windows 10 to Windows 8: Hi Sir,Firstly i buy system with Windows 7 OS and later I updated to Windows 8 and then to windows 10After installetion of Windows 10 my system gets hanged and I was unable to boot my system to windows 8 through USB.What was the reason for thatPlease respond.....
  3. Going Back to Windows 10 to Windows 8

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Going Back to Windows 10 to Windows 8: Hi Sir,Firstly i buy system with Windows 7 OS and later I updated to Windows 8 and then to windows 10After installetion of Windows 10 my system gets hanged and I was unable to boot my system to windows 8 through USB.What was the reason for thatPlease respond.....
  4. Going Back to Windows 10 to Windows 8

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. 33 1/3 cd roms

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    33 1/3 cd roms: I not sure if anyone out there has run across this. I recently ran across a Beatles Mono CD Box Set that has been put in storage. Issues I'm having is trying to figure out how to play them. It's a little more complicated then what you might be thinking. The CD roms in the box...
  6. Is there still the option to go back to Windows 7 or 8.1 after upgrading to Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there still the option to go back to Windows 7 or 8.1 after upgrading to Windows 10?: I want to install Windows 10 because a game that requires directx12 doesn't work for me on W8.1, but just in case I want to have the option to go back to w8.1, does that option still exist? I have found on Google only old articles. Thanks submitted by /u/Ok_Intention_4934...
  7. Can i go back to Windows 8.1/8/7 from Windows 10 After 30 days?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can i go back to Windows 8.1/8/7 from Windows 10 After 30 days?: I would like to go back to Windows 7 or 8.1 or 8 after 30 on my VM (Virtual Machine). cuz Windows 7, 8, 8.1 is better than Windows 10. Anyone can help me? Is it possible? I'd like to go back cuz it is Beautiful, Faster, and more nostalgic. [ATTACH]...
  8. Going back to windows 7 or 8

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Going back to windows 7 or 8: Hi, upgraded to windows 10, now my disc dosent work, is ok if i go back to Windows 7 or 8. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/going-back-to-windows-7-or-8/2d3dcfb7-1dce-4539-a460-e699c4f154c2
  9. How to go back to windows 7 or 8

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to go back to windows 7 or 8: My laptop has been giving me hell. My Recovery (D:), is totally full, and no matter how many times I try to make room it never seems to work. I also just got windows 10, and make the stupid mistake of resetting my pc, and now my laptop will not allow me to go back to...
  10. Reverting back to Windows 7 (or 8/8.1) after 30 Days

in Windows 10 Support
    Reverting back to Windows 7 (or 8/8.1) after 30 Days: I've read conflicting accounts as to whether it's possible or not to revert back to the original OS after 30 days. When I upgraded, I wasn't aware that there was any time limit on when you could do this - Microsoft kept that quiet if that is the case. I have my main OS,...