Windows 10: Going to reinstall, how do I find my activation number

Discus and support Going to reinstall, how do I find my activation number in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm going to take my laptop and make it our spare. Before I do that I want to wipe it and do a fresh install for several reasons. I know I'll need my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RobbyK, Sep 19, 2017.

1. RobbyK Win User

Going to reinstall, how do I find my activation number

I'm going to take my laptop and make it our spare. Before I do that I want to wipe it and do a fresh install for several reasons. I know I'll need my activation key in order to reactivate windows, but I upgraded this pc from W8.1 to W10 and have no idea what I've done with the key. So my question is how can I get the key?

What information have I forgotten to give you? *chuckle

:)

RobbyK, Sep 19, 2017
  2. HairyFool Win User

How do I find my security number

During the setup process it asks how you would like to receive the number, by email or mobile number. These options are defined in your Microsoft Account profile held on line.

Check that the email address is correct and that the email is not being placed in the spam/junk email folder if that is the method chosen.

HairyFool, Sep 19, 2017
  3. How do I find my security number

Hi

I have been asked to provide my security number but I do not have same

RoyMatthews_991, Sep 19, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Sep 19, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    If the computer came with Windows 8.1 from the factory, the product key will be stored in BIOS/UEFI firmware. If you try to install the same version of Windows 10 it will use that product key from BIOS/UEFI firmware and not even ask you to enter one. If there is not a product key in BIOS, then there will be a link on the page asking you for a product key that says, "I don't have a product key." Click that link, and as long as you are re-installing the same version of Windows on the same computer, it will retrieve the digital license for that computer from Microsoft Activation Servers when you connect to the internet and activate automatically.

NavyLCDR, Sep 19, 2017
  6. RobbyK Win User
    Thanks guys for the answer, I'm going to read the guide, but I remember now about it being stored in BIOS. I don't do much with computers these days so I have forgotten so much.

RobbyK, Sep 20, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Just to add to that, the 'same version' means that the edition must match what you had before, The digital licence is only valid for one edition, Home or Pro. If it you had Home before you must install Home again.

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Going to reinstall, how do I find my activation number - Similar Threads - Going reinstall find

2. I do not have access to my old phone number so how do I go about updating my phone number...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I do not have access to my old phone number so how do I go about updating my phone number...: how can I contact support. Is there a phone number or email address. I am locked out of my laptop because I do not remember my lock code password and the phone number that they want to send a code to too verify me I no longer have access to so I need to update my phone number...
  3. I do not have access to my old phone number so how do I go about updating my phone number...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I do not have access to my old phone number so how do I go about updating my phone number...: how can I contact support. Is there a phone number or email address. I am locked out of my laptop because I do not remember my lock code password and the phone number that they want to send a code to too verify me I no longer have access to so I need to update my phone number...
  4. I do not have access to my old phone number so how do I go about updating my phone number...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. how do i find my microsoft account number

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how do i find my microsoft account number: Where can I find my microsoft account number https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-find-my-microsoft-account-number/1338c4b7-b526-456d-b67e-ad94f9e535cf
  6. where do I find my pin number

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    where do I find my pin number: How do I find my pin number https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-do-i-find-my-pin-number/be6a3cb3-63e0-4a3e-8b94-66eab60554fa
  7. How do I find my serial number of windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I find my serial number of windows 10?: Hello, I have a windows 10 that is desktop. I typed in "wmic bios get serialnumber" in the cmds. It said "bios - Alias not found" What should I do? Thank you for helping!...
  8. how do i find the model number on my latitude E5420

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do i find the model number on my latitude E5420: E5430 Dell Laptop Latitude https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-find-the-model-number-on-my-latitude/472904d4-fd09-4d66-a77c-f147fb9e41c6
  9. i go to start then how do i find computer?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    i go to start then how do i find computer?: I go to start then how to I find computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-go-to-start-then-how-do-i-find-computer/f2f78a90-58b1-4b2c-9726-ccf00292105a
  10. How do I find the order number for my VPN license?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I find the order number for my VPN license?: I'm having some issues with my antivirus software. Support sent the following request: Could you send me an order number for your VPN license, please? I will check it onto our reference machine. I looked at ipconfig and the router user guide but don't know how to find...