Windows 10: Good connection but no internet

Discus and support Good connection but no internet in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I can connect, log in, but "no internet". Same for any network, any physical location. Using cable through USB adapter - same. Have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by hymanwallace, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Good connection but no internet

I can connect, log in, but "no internet".

Same for any network, any physical location.

Using cable through USB adapter - same.

Have re-installed wireless driver.

Can get wireless internet connection through a Linux VM using VirtualBox Bridged Adapter.

Windows 10 on ASUS UX 501 v1607

:)

hymanwallace, Dec 17, 2016

2. Lumia 930: good WiFi connection but no internet connection on Windows 10 Mobile 10.0.10586.218

Hi, yesterday (11 Aug 2016) my Lumia 930 started this problem again. I have a new bright box 2 router. The problem is defiantly with the windows 10 as it doesn't happen on my wife's windows 8.1 phone. This happens every time i go out of WIFI range. The connection
    is restored as soon as i reboot the phone. This happens with every WIFI network i am logged in with. If its any help, when it had the fault, when i go to reboot the phone it takes an age to shut down. Lets hope this can be sorted out soon, as its pretty annoying.
    I had thought the last major w10 update had cured the problem, but sadly not.

SimonPointer, Dec 17, 2016
  3. OlavOK Win User
    Lumia 930: good WiFi connection but no internet connection on Windows 10 Mobile 10.0.10586.218

My Lumia 930 with Windows 10 mobile is sometimes unable to connect to the internet until I reboot the device.

So imagine this:

Your Windows 10 mobile phone will connect to WiFi networks and 9 out of 10 times all is good. You can use your WiFi connection for internet related content but then you grab your phone out of your pocket and when you woke it up from his sleep you will
    notice that you cannot get any information from the internet. Nothing... No mail, no websites, no app content that is served through the internet. Why? Because your phone tells you that your selected/connected WiFi network has no internet connection and you
    forbid your phone to switch to cellular data network when connected to WiFi. Strange you think. Your Surface has no problem what-so-ever getting content from the internet and is connected to the same WiFi network at the same time….

So you switch your WiFi off and on to see if that will change things. Unfortunately your phone is still convinced that your WiFi network has no internet connection.

Next you go to another geographical place with an different WiFi network you have access too. Guess what, this WiFi network also has no internet connection.

Finally you shut down your phone and turn it back on and all your problems are gone. Until by a random act of Windows magic your phone informs you again that the WiFi network(s) has no internet connection until you turn your phone off and on again.

Back to the factory settings you think! And after configuring your device all seems good. Until…. Your phone informs you again that your WiFi network has no internet connection while you are browsing the internet on the same WiFi network with your
    Surface tablet…. The agony!

So a bit more technical information.

Looking at the details of my WiFi networks on my phone when my issue arises, I see that the IP address of my phone is not an address I would expect. It’s 169.254.57.20 for all the networks I connect to. There are no phone updates available and the
    only thing that seems to work is turning my phone off and on again.

Does anyone know how to eliminate this annoying behavior of my phone?

OlavOK, Dec 17, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Good connection but no internet

If you can get a connection through only the VM, that would be the issue.

bro67, Dec 17, 2016
  5. I don't follow. Please explain more.

The issue exists without the VM running.

hymanwallace, Dec 17, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Read what you posted. If the Virtual Machine is on the the computer with the problem, you have answered your own question.

bro67, Dec 18, 2016
  7. Cute!
    Any adults in the room?

hymanwallace, Dec 18, 2016
  8. Winuser Win User

I think bro67 is suggesting that the problem is with your VM. I myself don't see how that would be your problem. To me it sounds like a setting but I don't know enough about networking to suggest what to check.

Winuser, Dec 18, 2016
  9. My apology to bro67. I regret the tone of my reply.

hymanwallace, Dec 19, 2016
  10. sml156 Win User
    Very cryptic answers today I really don't understand how you answered your own question either.

Lets start with trying to get Windows to fix it's self

Open Cortana (Search) and type or paste Code: find and fix networking[/quote] Click on the first result and follow the prompts, hopefully that will fix it and if it does not post back I know some other ways to help.

sml156, Dec 19, 2016
  11. 99taws6 Win User
    When I was using a VM and bridged my connection I lost internet on my desktop. Once I removed the bridge and used just my regular connection all was solved. This was using hyper-v

99taws6, Dec 19, 2016
  12. The problem was that my DNS had become hardcoded to a 10. address. I set it to auto and now everything works. This could have been an outcome of a failed VPN shutdown that I was not aware of.

hymanwallace, Dec 19, 2016
  13. sml156 Win User

Glad to hear that you resolved it.

If you got the time you could help other people that find this thread by telling them how you found out the subnet was set wrong.

sml156, Dec 20, 2016
  14. Sure.
    Open Network and Sharing Center. In the middle of the screen is a list - "View Your Active Networks".
    In my case there was only one - my wireless connection.
    - Click on the name of the connection and up pops the 'Status' dialog.
    - Click on "Properties" in the lower part of the screen and
    - in the resulting dialog, locate the "Internet Protocol Version 4" property.
    - Click on this once to highlight it and then
    - click on "Properties".

You now have two panels. On the top is a panel with three fields. On the bottom is a panel with two fields.

In the usual case you will want both these panels blank and buttons on for "Obtain IP Address Automatically" and "Obtain DNS Server address automatically."

There are situations where you might want to specify IP address and/or DNS address but if you don't know why you might then you don't want to.

In my case I strongly suspect that my VPN software had pushed its DNS to my wireless connection config. In the usual case it would revert that setting but something must have happened to interrupt its process. Not sure about that but will take a look next time I want to use the VPN.

In retrospect I see that in omitting the VPN in my problem description, I missed an important clue.

hymanwallace, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Good connection but no internet - Similar Threads - connection internet

2. No internet connection through ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No internet connection through ethernet: Please can you help me fix my ethernet not working. My WIFI works fine. My ethernet connection says 'Unidentified network' and 'No internet access'. I was having trouble with it and yesterday I managed to get it to work somehow but today it won't work like usual. The new...
  3. No internet connection through ethernet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No internet connection through ethernet: Please can you help me fix my ethernet not working. My WIFI works fine. My ethernet connection says 'Unidentified network' and 'No internet access'. I was having trouble with it and yesterday I managed to get it to work somehow but today it won't work like usual. The new...
  4. Laptop don’t have Wi-Fi button to connect to internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop don’t have Wi-Fi button to connect to internet: The Wi-Fi button is missing on my computer. I am not able to connect to the Internet at all. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-dont-have-wi-fi-button-to-connect-to/e1d38c98-1833-43c8-aba8-0fdeb83cb133
  5. Laptop don’t have Wi-Fi button to connect to internet

Laptop don’t have Wi-Fi button to connect to internet: The Wi-Fi button is missing on my computer. I am not able to connect to the Internet at all. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-dont-have-wi-fi-button-to-connect-to/e1d38c98-1833-43c8-aba8-0fdeb83cb133
  6. After a netsh winsock reset I am not able to connect to the internet what should I do

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After a netsh winsock reset I am not able to connect to the internet what should I do: Pls help I cannot connect to my network and it says no internet connected This happened after a netsh winsock reset What should I do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-a-netsh-winsock-reset-i-am-not-able-to/a7ae72e4-6d53-4182-9968-b6a912fb38bb
  7. After a netsh winsock reset I am not able to connect to the internet what should I do

After a netsh winsock reset I am not able to connect to the internet what should I do: Pls help I cannot connect to my network and it says no internet connected This happened after a netsh winsock reset What should I do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-a-netsh-winsock-reset-i-am-not-able-to/a7ae72e4-6d53-4182-9968-b6a912fb38bb
  8. My network adapter won't connect wirelessly to internet, but works when wired in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My network adapter won't connect wirelessly to internet, but works when wired in: My network adapter won't connect wirelessly to internet, but works when wired in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-network-adapter-wont-connect-wirelessly-to/7e9481b8-aeeb-4b93-bfef-2838e20cd0bf
  9. My network adapter won't connect wirelessly to internet, but works when wired in

My network adapter won't connect wirelessly to internet, but works when wired in: My network adapter won't connect wirelessly to internet, but works when wired in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-network-adapter-wont-connect-wirelessly-to/7e9481b8-aeeb-4b93-bfef-2838e20cd0bf
  10. after clean boot, i cant connect to internet the wifi, sound, battery etc is gone from...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    after clean boot, i cant connect to internet the wifi, sound, battery etc is gone from...: Yesterday i want to play some game, but the game keep say connection lost, so i search how to fix it, but it fails, someone in community says to clean boot, stupidly i try it but it didn't work, my account was signed out and need the password. i add administrator account with...