Windows 10: Good news Samba shares TO Windows working again

Discus and support Good news Samba shares TO Windows working again in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there. After the latest set of Windows updates my SAMBA TO WINDOWS is working again -- note SAMBA TO WINDOWS --there never was any problem with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Nov 30, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Good news Samba shares TO Windows working again

Hi there.

After the latest set of Windows updates my SAMBA TO WINDOWS is working again -- note SAMBA TO WINDOWS --there never was any problem with WINDOWS TO SAMBA. I haven't changed / updated server for months now --stable and it doesn't change very often -- using CENTOS 7 which is a Red Hat supported Clone of RHEL used by commercial servers world wide - including by Microsoft in their thousands.

I need it this way round (SAMBA TO WINDOWS) as I run automated backups from my server to the Windows clients and therefore need to access Windows HDD's.

Media streaming / file sharing / Internet gateway etc FROM WINDOWS works fine -- Windows accesses SAMBA serve so I need connection both ways round.

Seems Networking on Windows changes more times than I think the expression is "people have had Hot Dinners".

Cheers
    jimbo.

:)

jimbo45, Nov 30, 2017

2. samba connections not restored after windows 10 creator update version 1703

When I first updated to Windows 10 last year, I experienced problems with not being able to reconnect my samba server shares. I discovered in advanced settings that a parameter had changed to allow windows to manage homegroup connections. I changed that
    back to use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers and all was good again.

This week on 2 computers the same has happened but the same fix no longer works. I've also made sure that I added regedit AllowinsecureGuest dword=1 and added windows credential for the shares.

We already have enabled plain passwords for samba.

I have restored to previous versions but it keeps on updating again.

ANy solution would be appreciated.

RonKirschner, Nov 30, 2017
  3. Windows 10 November Update - cannot see other network devices

The most persistent news I have on these issues is that my Linux Samba server still does not show in the Network Neighborhood on the Windows 10 machines.

My home network (Workgroup) consists of 2 desktops, 1 laptop and 1 Surface Pro 3 all on the latest Windows 10 1511 build. And 1 Linux machine that I upgraded this week to Fedora 23 and Samba 4.3.1.

The Linux machine also serves as the WINS server and a VPN server. Thus offering remote access to the Windows based shares.

After the upgrading of the Windows machines several weird and peculiar connectivity problems turned up. Machines not showing, not able to connect to shares, printers (wired to the Linux machine) not reachable. Long waits on restoring persistent shares mapping
    to drives.

I'd subsequently checked, reset and/or reconfigured all networking related settings like hostnames, workgroup name, protocol settings, etc.

End of the story is that everything is working as it should without any serious issues.

From the Linux machine I can access all the Windows based hosts and shares again. And all Windows 10 machines are shown to be part of the Windows Network.

Windows 10 machines now do show in each others Network Neighborhood. Persistent share to drive mappings work as a charm again. No gibberish output for nbtstat -r anymore. Also the Linux host, share and printers can be reached by name from all my machines
    again.

I did not disable any SMB version setting anywhere. I do even expect everything is communicating based on the latest SMB v3.11 level which is supported by the now installed Samba 4.3.1.

Perhaps here a huge benefit having a home made Linux based 'NAS' which gives maximum flexibility in upgrading and configuring. Could be much different from NAS devices with much older Samba releases embedded.

As said. The only persisting minor issue is the Linux Samba server not being visible in the Windows 10 Network Neighborhood.

HenkWittingen, Nov 30, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

I am sure there was a permissions bug somewhere. I actually got share working from android to windows on C drive but it took a lot of messing around. Having said that I still cannot access certain system folders but can access the main user folders rather than just public folders now. This update has not changed anything from my perspective though.

cereberus, Nov 30, 2017
Thema:

1. Good news Samba shares TO Windows working again - Similar Threads - news Samba shares

2. Good news and bad news

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Good news and bad news: Ok, so let's get the bad news out of the way. I should think you all are experiencing this too. Windows 11 is so bad. I downloaded it August '21 and it is slow and ugly. Ok, now for the good news, I am downgrading to Windows 8.1 and edge is all of a sudden downloading the...
  3. Good news and bad news

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Good news and bad news: Ok, so let's get the bad news out of the way. I should think you all are experiencing this too. Windows 11 is so bad. I downloaded it August '21 and it is slow and ugly. Ok, now for the good news, I am downgrading to Windows 8.1 and edge is all of a sudden downloading the...
  4. Good news guys!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Good news guys!: Microsoft finally released the 21h1 update in public. I hope you enjoy it : I'm currently downloading the update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/good-news-guys/c9fb8f32-7db3-48b9-abf3-5e3fde397659
  5. Connecting to a Samba Share

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connecting to a Samba Share: I am trying to connect to a samba share. There are two users on the machine. user1 was able to access the share drive and map the share on the machine. user2 was able to access the folders. the next day user1 could not access the drives that were mapped nor could they...
  6. Cannot access Samba share

Cannot access Samba share: Hi, I have a few Windows 10 computers and some linux computers on my network. I use Samba to enable sharing between the Windows and Linux computers. On one of the Windows computer I have a Storage Spaces drive set up as a Samba share. I can access some of the folders on this...
  7. Samba share doesn't work

Samba share doesn't work: Hi, I have Vbox with Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS installed on it. My host is Win 10 (Version 10.0.10240 Build 10240). I've tried to get my samba share working for the whole day. I asked in #Windows, #ubuntu, #samba, #php, everywhere. I've googled and googled and googled.......
  8. Unable to See Samba Share

Unable to See Samba Share: Hi everyone, I'll try to keep it short. I have a headless ubuntu server that has a samba server. It's connected to the network with a cable (not wifi) and has a static IP. My desktop (also wired with static IP) is unable to see the samba share at all: not when I go to the...
  9. Samba shares TO Windows 10 now working OK (finally !!!!!)

Samba shares TO Windows 10 now working OK (finally !!!!!): Hi there after trying all of the zillion suggestions on the Forum about getting an INBOUND connection from SAMBA (NAS Server) to access W10 shares (the OTHER way around from W10 TO the NAS wasn't a problem) it's finally working. What I did was: 1) delete the W10 clean...
  10. Creating a samba share in windows 10

Creating a samba share in windows 10: I've been using unauthenticated samba share on my computer for well over a decade using windows 7, vista, and XP (and maybe even further back) to network with various devices in another room via an ethernet cable. I believe Microsoft removed unauthenticated samba shares from...