Windows 10: Google getting USELESS and INCONSISTENT !!!

Discus and support Google getting USELESS and INCONSISTENT !!! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there Is it just me or is the google search now getting too unreliable and inaccurate to use. I did a search on "Converting VMWARE to HYPER-V"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Oct 12, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Google getting USELESS and INCONSISTENT !!!

Hi there

Is it just me or is the google search now getting too unreliable and inaccurate to use.

I did a search on "Converting VMWARE to HYPER-V" as I wanted to see if there were easy ways to convert VMware workstation VM's to HYPER-V Vm's without having to create and install the VM again - and I could use existing VM's.

So search leads me to a link. (scr shot 1)

Clicking on the link the article states categorically that it CAN NOT convert VMware workstations. (Scr shot 2).

So Google what's up - we haven't got time to waste being supplied with INACCURATE articles referred to by the link. The Ms article is fine but GOOGLE should not have referred me to the link as the article states that it can NOT do what I asked in the search query.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 12, 2014

2. unable to change settings with the extended attributes are inconsistant

I have never seen the problem myself but I suggest that this is an ideal question for Google, using the phrase:

"The extended attributes are inconsistent"

Frederik Long, Oct 12, 2014
  3. "Recent" in Win8 vs "Quick Access" in Win10

The "Recent" feature worked very in Win 8 and I use it all the time at home. My Win 10 at work is "so advanced" that this useful feature has been replaced by a useless one that is confusing, inconsistent (when accessing from Explorer vs other programs)
    and useless. Can I customize Win 10 to restore the "Recent" feature?

Wasi Khursheed - Battery-Biz, Oct 12, 2014
  4. Google getting USELESS and INCONSISTENT !!!

I had to do SEO as part of my Web Design course.
    I blame it for search engines being basically useless these days.

I regularly click on SRP links that take me to pages that don't contain the search terms I entered. *Mad

You used to be able to use quotes, "+", "-", etc. to filter the results, but they don't seem to work any more.

Of course the ridiculous number of pages on the Internet doesn't help.

lehnerus2000, Oct 12, 2014
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

The amount of money Google is earning should force them to re-write their algorithms -- even with the ridiculous number of pages on the Internet it should perhaps offer the first 20 most relevant links and then you can scroll more or obtain more pages if you need to.

I'm not sure how some of the modern mathematics works but there are decent algorithms these days for retrieving queries from very large databases. For instance (OK the number of pages is far less than on the Internet) but a complex query from say THE PATENT OFFICE will return decent answers in a short time. I know that any FREE TEXT search is probably HATED by developers as it's incredibly difficult to do well especially if there aren't any well defined "key fields". However there's no excuse for returning INACCURATE information. That just wastes everybody's time.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 12, 2014
  6. You have to pay for the "good" SEO algorithms.

lehnerus2000, Oct 12, 2014
  7. DavidE Win User
    When I'm not satisfied with search results (any search engine) one page I go to is Google Advanced Search:
    Google Advanced Search

Looking at the OP I don't understand the issue ...
    It seems to me the page shown in the screen print is correct/relevant, but not the desired answer ???
    Is that the issue ?

The OP states a search for "Converting VMWARE to HYPER-V".

Did your search include the quotes or not ?
    I get different results depending on this, and that's where advanced search is nice ...

DavidE, Oct 12, 2014
  8. CountMike New Member

Somehow I don't think Google should or could be held accountable for accuracy on sites that are not their own. After all Google does not search intelligently enough (we are too far for such an AI ) to check for accuracy of the content and different ideas expressed therein or indeed even raw data, there's just no capacity for something like that. Even stuff in places like Wikipedia and such is to be taken with large grain of salt. They (even encyclopedias) are known for wild inaccuracies let alone what's supposed to be just a list of places with words searched for.
    That being said, I think we are putting too much fate in Google and internet as a whole.

CountMike, Oct 12, 2014
  9. I get tired of the first half dozen or so links being to fake sites that just try to suck you into downloading something you don't want. Do a search for say Adobe Flash Player, or AVG Free, or a driver for your HP or Dell PC. It's no wonder there are so many PC's loaded with male ware etc. *Sad

alphanumeric, Oct 12, 2014
  10. CountMike New Member
    So true !!!

CountMike, Oct 12, 2014
  11. unifex Win User
    Very often a search for some brand name returns a multitude of stores, price comparison sites, even review sites, but the actual manufacturer. This is very annoying.

unifex, Oct 12, 2014
  12. CountMike New Member
    Yes it is but that makes them money *Biggrin

CountMike, Oct 12, 2014
  13. BunnyJ New Member

IMO, Google has always been a hit and miss search engine. In many cases I've had to perform multiple searches to find what I was looking for. Is it becoming worse?? Na.. in this bunnies opinion is just about the same as it's always been.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Oct 12, 2014
  14. CountMike New Member
    Did anybody try same search word on two computers with different IPs ? Results are different or at least in different order.

CountMike, Oct 12, 2014
  15. Mystere Win User
    While this has been going on for a very long time, and I agree to a certain extent...

In this case, the problem is not google. The link in question does in fact tell you how to convert VMWare VM's to Hyper-V. However, it cannot convert Workstation VM's (VMWare is a lot more than just VMWare workstation). Your search query did not include the word workstation, but even if it did it probably still would have found the link since the word workstation is in the page.. There's just no way a search algorithm could know what you mean here, and know that this link was not relevant.

No, you did not state Workstation in the query. But as I said, even if you had, there is no good way for an algorithm to be able to figure that out.

Mystere, Oct 12, 2014
Thema:

1. Google getting USELESS and INCONSISTENT !!! - Similar Threads - Google getting USELESS

2. Inconsistent BSODs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inconsistent BSODs: Hello. I've recently built my own PC about a month back, and it ran fine for a while 3ish weeks, but it has recently been giving BSODs for various reasons, with the most recent ones being related to system service exceptions. These crashes happen inconsistently, with some...
  3. Inconsistent BSODs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Inconsistent BSODs: Hello. I've recently built my own PC about a month back, and it ran fine for a while 3ish weeks, but it has recently been giving BSODs for various reasons, with the most recent ones being related to system service exceptions. These crashes happen inconsistently, with some...
  4. Edge: Inconsistent behaviour when using a Google search

in Browsers and Email
    Edge: Inconsistent behaviour when using a Google search: . I have Edge 91.0.864.41 in Win 10 Pro. In the Edge Settings, I have "Google" in the option: Search engine used in the address bar. For years, even with Chrome, I ignored the Google search box, and started my search by inserting my pointer in the URL bar. I did that even if...
  5. Font inconsistency

in Windows 10 Customization
    Font inconsistency: Hello,I have observed that sometimes the font of some features doesn't match the default one from Windows 10. For example, let's say that the default one is Segoe UI. The search bar will not display this, instead it will show my apps with Arial font. This issue sometimes gets...
  6. inconsistent crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    inconsistent crashing: I've been receiving BSODs with the error "IRQL_NOT_GREATER_OR_EQUAL", for a few time this last few weeks or so. I haven't been able to catch the actual specific error code yet, as before I can screenshot the screen my computer has already reset. BugCheek in Eventveiwer says...
  7. File explorer -- how to reset to default --Google queries are useless

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer -- how to reset to default --Google queries are useless: Hi folks Whats the magic setting to reset file explorer to its 100% default state (as it look as after you've done a clean windows install) -- I.e before any "tampering". If I do any google searches there's 77 zillion (or more) answers telling me how to customise settings...
  8. Getting Google on Firefox

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Getting Google on Firefox: I have my default search engine set for Google in Firefox. But Firefox will not allow google to come up. I get this error message: "Firefox prevented this page from automatically redirecting to another page". It does this twice after I click "allow" and then instead of...
  9. Useless Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Useless Taskbar: Problem: Can't use Cortana search, open notifications or open the start menu. Can't run Insider Hub either I've been searching google all day and tried several methods with no results. * I created a powershell.exe file on the desktop and ran as administrator to use the...
  10. Need help getting Cortana to be less useless.

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help getting Cortana to be less useless.: Well, all that I was able to make Cortana do is show me the weather... I say "Hey Cortana", nothing happens. I need to actually press the microphone button to make her start listening. I say "Open windows update", she says "Try that again after future updates" I say...