Windows 10: Google Serving Win 10 Edge Browser Users the Old-Style Search Engine

Discus and support Google Serving Win 10 Edge Browser Users the Old-Style Search Engine in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Google Serving Windows 10 Edge Browser Users the Old-Style Search Engine Layout Changing the user agent does the trick, though [img] It’s... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Cluster Head, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Google Serving Win 10 Edge Browser Users the Old-Style Search Engine

Google Serving Windows 10 Edge Browser Users the Old-Style Search Engine Layout
    Changing the user agent does the trick, though

Google Serving Win 10 Edge Browser Users the Old-Style Search Engine [​IMG]

Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/googl...t-501794.shtml

:)

Cluster Head, Mar 15, 2016
  2. d0gknees Win User

bing **** pop up on laptop by itself when browser is open on another page

That's your problem. Change search engines to Google or Bing and you shouldn't see the popups anymore.

Why? DuckDuckGo is good search engine, no ads.

Look at the list you posted. Duckduck is serving the content. Their address is at the start which means the content is coming from their site.

d0gknees, Mar 15, 2016
  3. neilpzz Win User
    Keeping Google as Internet option stay

There is no browser called Google. Google search engine is the webpage you use to search for web content.

What browser do you use if not Edge or Internet Explorer.

neilpzz, Mar 15, 2016
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Google Serving Win 10 Edge Browser Users the Old-Style Search Engine

It's really not a big deal in the long run. Google got a bug up somewhere and they provide an older look to their site for Edge.

BunnyJ, Mar 15, 2016
  5. dmex Win User
    It's the non-touch version of Google search with a very degraded experience for devices with touch capabilities... The browser wars are alive and well, looks like Edge is the new Netscape *Huh

6. Mooly Win User
    I never knew there were two versions of how it displayed (99% of my browsing is with Bing anyway) but fwiw, I think the black menu bar is much nicer and more understandable and given a choice that is the one I would choose.

Mooly, Mar 15, 2016
  7. dmex Win User
    Previously, you could use the "noj" parameter and disable the touch version of Google and instead use the version with the 'black menu': Google

About 3 months ago Google removed that parameter and redirected everyone back to the touch version. You have to completely disable javascript in the browser options to get the non-touch version (black menu)... Hence the browser wars reference, Google has been restricting the WP8 browser with the non-touch version for the last two years and has now expanded that policy to WP10 and included Windows 10 (Edge).

WP10 and Edge have higher web standards compatibility than even Firefox and there is no reason to restrict the usability of Google search on touch based devices running WP8, WP10 and Windows 10 (Edge). The policy is almost identical to what Microsoft was doing to in the 90s by forcing Netscape users to have a limited and degraded browsing experience, except this time it's Google forcing the degraded experience on WP8, WP10 and Edge (desktop) users *Huh

8. Google Serving Win 10 Edge Browser Users the Old-Style Search Engine

Can Edge use a different user agent string (say IE11) just for the Google search page?
    I'm sure this will be remedied at some point. I don't think Edge is the new Netcape yet.

One broswer I admit I liked a bit, was the Metro IE 10 on Windows 8 (or the IE 11 version on Windows 8.1 - same thing basically). Too bad that couldn't be retained for Windows 10 (with the same rendering engine that Edge uses).

Jody Thornton, Mar 15, 2016
  9. Just tried this on WP10, when viewing the full site the black bar is not very easy to use

The mobile version is still ok, but it keeps prompting to install Google Android Apps *Sad

paulsalter, Mar 15, 2016
  10. Mooly Win User
    Thanks for the detailed explanation and a bit of history. I had no idea tbh. I do hope that Edge goes the distance because its a browser that I've really taken too. Its generally excellent.

Mooly, Mar 15, 2016
  11. Cliff S New Member
    Oh I like it!
    Search Engine toolbars are always good, and easier to find what you want*Biggrin
    Just like Bing's homepage(just not so classy)

Cliff S, Mar 15, 2016
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    I agree.. I prefer the old style over the new one that Google has.

BunnyJ, Mar 15, 2016
  13. Cliff S New Member

Yep, I don't really care for "Hidden & Hamburger"

Cliff S, Mar 15, 2016
  14. deadkenny Win User
    Been getting this on all my devices with Edge. It also affects G+. I lose the top right buttons, which is especially annoying as the notification button is gone so can't click to see updates on posts. Chrome - fine.

I do wonder if Google are trying to degrade it for touch given that Chrome is horrible for touch. I like Chrome but, but Edge is so much smoother on touch scroll. Chrome is a struggle to use with touch on a low performance device such as an Atom based tablet (yet oddly works better with mouse but I don't carry a mouse around with me usually).

deadkenny, Mar 15, 2016
  15. otreblA Win User
    Hello guys, I'm new here but I've often read the forums!

Looks like that the black bar is back from today, at least for me and only with Edge...Did anyone have the same problem? How did you solve it? :\

Ty *Biggrin

otreblA, Mar 15, 2016
Thema:

1. Google Serving Win 10 Edge Browser Users the Old-Style Search Engine - Similar Threads - Google Serving Edge

2. Use multiple Search Engines at the same time in Edge browser

in Windows 10 News
    Use multiple Search Engines at the same time in Edge browser: [IMG]In this post, we will show you how to make Edge show Bing, Google, DuckDuckGo, and Yahoo search results at the same time. Edge features a sidebar that enables users to access essential tools and features alongside their browser tabs quickly. One of these tools, known as...
  3. Edge browser engine stuck on Bing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Edge browser engine stuck on Bing: Hello,I have a computer with windows 11 OS. I have three search engines downloaded here Firefox, Chrome, and Edge. I have a seamless experience switching my search engine on the first two, which makes me think it's not a crazy virus problem, but Edge just won't. I already did...
  4. Edge browser engine stuck on Bing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Edge browser engine stuck on Bing: Hello,I have a computer with windows 11 OS. I have three search engines downloaded here Firefox, Chrome, and Edge. I have a seamless experience switching my search engine on the first two, which makes me think it's not a crazy virus problem, but Edge just won't. I already did...
  5. Windows 10 Search Engine default browser

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Search Engine default browser: I often use the Windows 10 Search Engine by hitting the Windowskey and typing in the Software or File name, to launch them. I've seen that websearch is also possible but it uses Microsoft Edge and Bing even though Firefox is my default browser. So I was wondering if it would...
  6. Google Chrome Search Engine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Google Chrome Search Engine: Today on Google Chrome I noticed the search engine had changed to Yahoo! and going into setting I was unable to change it back to Chrome/ uninstall Yahoo! I went to the list of programs on my pc and tried uninstalling Search Powered by Yahoo! but it didnt work either. Is...
  7. Windows 10 S Edge browser not letting me switch to google (search engine). Is it possible...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 S Edge browser not letting me switch to google (search engine). Is it possible...: Hi Reddit. I'm having trouble with my laptop ( Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 1-14-AST-05, Running Windows 10 S version 1909). I'm trying to change the Microsoft Edge browser's default search engine to Google, but where you would normally select it is greyed out and does nothing on the...
  8. Resetting My Search Engine to Google

in Windows 10 Customization
    Resetting My Search Engine to Google: How do I reset my opening page to what it was one month ago, keeping my updated files intact but with Google as search engine? Dora-Faye Hendricks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/resetting-my-search-engine-to-google/f0f11771-79a9-4aaa-9d3d-d7a2e969d19f
  9. Cannot download google search engine

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot download google search engine: Cannot download google search engine https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-download-google-search-engine/b9e9620a-7d80-4de1-bcb4-b72b45865b1d
  10. How Can I Change the Default Search Engine in Edge Browser?

in Browsers and Email
    How Can I Change the Default Search Engine in Edge Browser?: I don't like using Bing and I have Norton Security on my computer, so I would like to use the Norton Safe Search instead of Bing on the Windows 10 Edge Browser. Can you please tell me how to do this? Thanks. 76714