Windows 10: Got a dead external USB drive? Drive may still be good!

Discus and support Got a dead external USB drive? Drive may still be good! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Well, shoot. If we're going for one upsmanship (downsmanship?) the first PC that I owned was a 128k toaster Mac, purchased in October of 1984, plus an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Gramps, Oct 24, 2015.

1. bobkn Win User

Got a dead external USB drive? Drive may still be good!

Well, shoot. If we're going for one upsmanship (downsmanship?) the first PC that I owned was a 128k toaster Mac, purchased in October of 1984, plus an external single sided 3 1/2"400k floppy drive and an Imagewriter dot matrix printer (made by C. Itoh). I haven't yet forgiven Steve Jobs for going to market with such a worthless toy. (The 512k Fat Mac was actually usable.) I didn't go over to the Dark Side until 1995. All of my PCs have been homebuilt since 1997. It's amazing how little you need to know to slap a PC together and get it up and running with modern Windows (95, 98, NT, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10).

On the work-related side, things go back further. IBM 2741 terminals communicating with an IBM 360/370 at less than 150 baud to run APL. Hollerith cards read at an RBT for a CDC 6400 (later a Cyber 175). Switching to a 300 baud link from a VDT to a DEC 10 to submit jobs to the same Cyber 175. Dumb terminals connected to a VAX 8600. Sun Sparc 10 Model 30 Unix (Solaris) workstation. Brief use of a Cray Y MP to run some specialized Fortran code. Stone knives and bearskins. (Can you ID the Star Trek TOS episode?)

bobkn, Oct 26, 2015
  2. spapakons Win User

OK you beat me! This was because I got my first computer at Secondary school in 1991. My parents wouldn't buy me a computer earlier (1985) because I would play all day and not study! I remember in late '80s some of my friends had Spectrum ZX 128KB with a tape recorder. I was then gathering some Spectrum cassettes to play when I would buy my own computer. When time came, in Christmas 1991 I finally bought a PC! Fortunately the shop gave me a 360KB 5.25" floppy with some games to play and then I had some of my friends. Before my first computer I had a pod clone (the Atari game with the two vertical lines playing tennis and other games) which I connected to the TV, but that doesn't count. A friend of mine remembers having computers with punch cards at school...

Younger posters probably read these and think now I must be an old geek, well not that old! I'm not even 40 yet. *Smile

spapakons, Oct 26, 2015
  3. strollin Win User
    I consider you a youngster, I was 30 and long graduated college before I bought my first PC in 1984.

strollin, Oct 26, 2015
  4. bobkn Win User

No Trekkies here?

"The City on the Edge of Forever", written by Harlan Ellison.

bobkn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Got a dead external USB drive? Drive may still be good! - Similar Threads - Got dead external

2. USB external Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB external Drive: My wife's Windows 10 Pro PC suddenly died.Can I move her Ext drive to to my Windows 10 Pro PC, so we can read her files ?Both are identical DELL E6540's.I presently have my own Ext Drive all is working OK on my machine.Can I keep both of them plugged in ?We both are running...
  3. USB external Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB external Drive: My wife's Windows 10 Pro PC suddenly died.Can I move her Ext drive to to my Windows 10 Pro PC, so we can read her files ?Both are identical DELL E6540's.I presently have my own Ext Drive all is working OK on my machine.Can I keep both of them plugged in ?We both are running...
  4. USB external Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Are these usb flash drives any good?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Are these usb flash drives any good?: Hi! I'm searching for a good quality, high capacity and fast r/w usb stick. I found two of them which maybe come to count by me. Are they any good: 1. Kingston DT100G3/256GB 2. Kingston DTKN/128GB I would like to buy the 1. option. What you think about these two sticks? I...
  6. Is my USB drive dead?

Is my USB drive dead?: Hello! I'm wondering if my USB drive is officially dead, and if I can take it anywhere to get it repaired. It's not being detected anywhere. File Explorer, Device Manager, and even Disk Management....
  7. usb external drives

usb external drives: Hello --- my hp laptop has 2 usb2 ports and 1 usb3 port and 1 usb-c port It seems that if I try to use a powered the hub uses a ac adaptor usb 3 hub connected to the usb 3 or usb c port after a time, any external disks plugged in to the hub seems to stop working -- and...
  8. Transferring photos to a USB drive/external drive

Transferring photos to a USB drive/external drive: so i am trying to move 5 .jpg photos from the Documents folder in my C drive onto a external drive, so I click copy from the Documents folder, then attempt to paste in the external drive, and the photo fails to transfer. It shows the green transfer speed bar, then reaches...
  9. What are good external hard drives for a Laptop?

What are good external hard drives for a Laptop?: I need a very good external hard drive that has over 1 TB of space any suggestions? I will be putting Unity Keys on them. Also my Laptop device is a HP Pavilion 15.6" Laptop (Intel Core i5-8250U, 8GB, 1TB HD, Windows 10 High End, Ceramic White) 15-cs0010ca. I want one...
  10. USB External Drive

USB External Drive: I use win 10. I have a Seagate external Slim Mobile Drive. It works fine but generates a warning in The USB Drive Device listing. The warning is: "This device cannot start." Should I Worry?...