Windows 10: Got a New Laptop, Needing Expert Advice.

Discus and support Got a New Laptop, Needing Expert Advice. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there, guys! I just recently bought a bew laptop, an Acer Aspire E15-553-1768, and, while I'm enjoying it so much, I'm having some lil'... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by FerchogtX, Nov 17, 2016.

1. FerchogtX Win User

Got a New Laptop, Needing Expert Advice.

Hi there, guys!

I just recently bought a bew laptop, an Acer Aspire E15-553-1768, and, while I'm enjoying it so much, I'm having some lil' annoyances that I'm sure you can help me to solve.

The first, I'm experiencing some sort of "poor colors" representation on my laptop screen (whole specs in my system specs section)... kinda, looking washed out, or like if they don't blend or as if you look at a BMP file with indexed colors (or low color count)... Is this an issue with the VGA or the monitor? I've tried configuring via the AMD Control Center... but I not able to find a configuration for that... probably I need to calibrate the monitor? It's a laptop monitor... I have the latest drivers from AMD so I can work with Photoshop without issues...

The second, how much V-RAM does my GPU can allocate? GPU-Z tells me this GPU has 512 MB (Really?... I thought this thing had 1 GB or so...) Dxdiag reports that this can take as much as 8 GB max, while AIDA64 reports 3 exact VGA cards (Or instances), of 512 MB... giving the amount of 1.5 GB total... And System Properties only reports it's taking 512 MB of my 16 GB available. I have this weird feeling that all my monitor software is either wrong, or the GPU only uses 512 MB or V-RAM... does anyone that knows this arquitecture can confirm?

Third, This CPU is able to handle AMD-V instruction set, but VMware says this is not enabled in the bios (UEFI), funny enough, I can install linux mint KDE x64 and Windows 7 x64 without any problem, just I can't manually select either the AMD-V or AMD-Vx (?) from the dropdown list in CPU features... Is there any way to enable this? I've looked for the solution for no avail, you are my only hope (unless I don't really need to enable anything)... Supposedly, my last resource is to update my UEFI bios... no clue on that, I always try to avoid messing with bios unless it's no other solution and it really affects me. I used Securable to see if I had any problem, but says this CPU is AMD-V cappable, as it is... nothing about BIOS disabled or such... I've heard AMD-V is always enabled by default and no one can disable that via BIOS or UEFI... is that true? If so, why VMware cannot detect it properly?

My whole system specs are fullfilled, let me know if you need more info, so I can gather it from any program at my hand. Oh... if this helps too, the battery of this laptop cannot be removed (seems is internal)

Thanks in advance for your help, guys *Wink

:)

FerchogtX, Nov 17, 2016
  2. palani6 Win User

Friends i need tech expert advice!!

The real reason i want to change os/software asha is poor in its performance

palani6, Nov 17, 2016
  3. Friends i need tech expert advice!!

Hi palani6,

Unfortunately, it's not possible to install or change the software of the Nokia Asha 311 to Windows Phone firmware. Operating system are designed depending on the hardware capability of a certain device. Also, changing or installing a different software
    on a Nokia product will void its warranty.

We may not know exactly the main reason why you would like to change your Asha 311's current software, but just feel free to post your concerns about it here in the forum and the community will be happy to assist you. :catvery-happy:

carlogimenez, Nov 17, 2016
  4. Winuser Win User

To get VMware to run there is a setting in the Bios that needs to be turned on. I forget what it's called. I had to do that on my 2 HP desktops.

Winuser, Nov 17, 2016
  5. FerchogtX Win User
    Sadly, this BIOs has no option to enable or disable this feature... then, some sites say that, at least, in the case of AMD CPU's, AMD-V is always enabled no matter what... I'm puzzled on this one XD...

FerchogtX, Nov 17, 2016
  6. FerchogtX Win User
    Just tested my graphics problems... on external monitors either VGA or HDMI, this problems doesn't occur...
    Any ideas?

Reading some threads in google... seems it's the flex or the display that got the problem... what do you think?

FerchogtX, Nov 18, 2016
  7. Captain Win User
    HI!
    If you have tested via VGA and HDMI then it could possibly be either the Screen/monitor problem; but
    still it could be graphics card too. It's tough but seeing as you have noted no problem with using VGA and HDMI.
    Then it's the hardware of the screen it's self. You ruled out the other things I'd think are creating this problem.

Captain, Nov 18, 2016
  8. FerchogtX Win User

Well... tried using Refresh PC option... display is the same... just 16bit-like colors...
    I had to try it... was my last chance, no updates made this, no drivers... seems the display simply is damaged or something is not working from it. So yeah, @Captain, seems it's the display... so, time to use my warranty... tough luck *Sad

I really hope this brand is good for monitors... AIDA64 reports this as a monitor manufacturer for this laptop in particular...
    AUO - Display Product

I been told that some monitors just can't handle a big amount of colors because they are cheap... is that true? Is there such monitors? It could be weird though... ths monitor has almost the same specs as my old laptop's display (Except for the Pixel density, that is 101 for this display, 112 for my old aspire 4535... I resist to believe 11 points make a difference though)... and this thing is WXGA, just like the old display....

I'm puzzled again...

FerchogtX, Nov 18, 2016
  9. Captain Win User
    And your sure you did not bump a some setting?
    As for cheaper ones not showing that wonderful crisp picture;
    it's true and not true. Let me explain it all depends on the brand and the model.
    I will say name brand is king here but not necessarily needed. There are good
    off branded ones that work with out incident.

Captain, Nov 18, 2016
  10. FerchogtX Win User
    Any clue about those AUO things? Seems they are replacing Samsung in some stuff... I'm looking for some reviews... seems they are not bad quality (I was afraid of that)... but I'm not 100% sure either...

About some setiings... nothing touched right now, since it's now refreshed, and since the UEFI bios look a lot limited, I didn't mess with that / didn't bother to. *Sad

FerchogtX, Nov 18, 2016
  11. Captain Win User
    As for as I know man, they up there in quality, I mean they are not the best, but they
    are not trash that's for sure. I have some folks that use them with no problems; could
    also be you just got a tainted one? I still feel that if you done what you have indicated to
    try and fix the problem I'd be betting that it's more of a hardware problem and not a setting.
    I'm still leaning towards graphics card problem but yet it works fine in all other manners of such (HDMI and VGA)
    Just be patient.. a better nerd then I will see this post he/she may know something I don't.

Captain, Nov 18, 2016
  12. FerchogtX Win User
    I guess I just got a bad display after all... I mean, It's impossible for me to believe that this laptop, that just has been released this year, with the latest Bristol Ridge APU (A12 9700P) with so "high end, not so high end" specs has to get a crappy monitor...

I'm so killing Acer if that is true!!!... But, you are right, let's wait for the rest to see this thread and say something in the matter... I guess is just as simple as replacing my display with another working one.

Thanks for the goku image though *Biggrin

FerchogtX, Nov 20, 2016
  13. Captain Win User

I also own an acer(Used for dirty work) It's worked fine
    so far. No display problems or anything. Acer is not a crappy brand either.
    Don't worry be patient, there are folks on here who know more then I do.
    As for me like I said I'm going to keep doing what I can to help ya.
    As for giving you the avatar goku image... *Jealous*

Captain, Nov 20, 2016
  14. FerchogtX Win User
    Well people, I'm just letting you know that I sent the PC to customer service, under warranty, they upgraded the UEFI Bios and now banding issues are gone... if people has this same problem as me with this exact model, your solution is to upgrade to latest BIOS version from this page:
    Product support
    It's funny, they specifically uploaded this BIOS revision because of my problem.

If anyone else with display banding problems in this exact model, wants to try, you can always upgrade your BIOS, or let your customer service do it for you.

Hope this helps *Wink

FerchogtX, Dec 6, 2016
  15. Captain Win User
    Thanks for the update! Everyone here does what they can to help you and I'm glad you took care of the problem quickly well your system was still under warranty. Many folks are not as lucky as you. I swear some of these systems have a clock, and just as your warranty is up; they start acting up or not working correctly.

Captain, Dec 13, 2016
Thema:

1. Got a New Laptop, Needing Expert Advice. - Similar Threads - Got Laptop Needing

2. Need expert advice to fix this issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need expert advice to fix this issue: I cannot use the computer properly for 5 minutes. The problem occurred shortly after turning on the computer. Sometimes it hangs completely even if it runs for a while. Please someone write about its solution....
  3. Need expert advice to fix this issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need expert advice to fix this issue: I cannot use the computer properly for 5 minutes. The problem occurred shortly after turning on the computer. Sometimes it hangs completely even if it runs for a while. Please someone write about its solution....
  4. In need of expert advice

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    In need of expert advice: So I have a Lenovo Ideapad 3.. laptop has been great until today. I loaded up my laptop like usual, logged in, immediately got a "something went wrong, we need to reatart" blue screen, then after a few seconds the screen went black and nothing's working. Literally nothing, no...
  5. New to disk imaging/cloning - need advices

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New to disk imaging/cloning - need advices: A generic question so I don't think I need to provide any specific info. My computers are Windows 10 64-bit. Having trouble recently with some of my computers, and usually people/diagnosis software point out the culprit is the failing hard drives. Whether they're right or...
  6. New to disk imaging/cloning - need advices

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New to disk imaging/cloning - need advices: A generic question so I don't think I need to provide any specific info. My computers are Windows 10 64-bit. Having trouble recently with some of my computers, and usually people/diagnosis software point out the culprit is the failing hard drives. Whether they're right or...
  7. New Laptop Buying Advice

in Windows 10 Support
    New Laptop Buying Advice: Wondering if anyone could offer some advice please. I am looking at buying a new laptop as my current HP is on it's last legs. With the Black Friday deals, now seems to be a good time. I have found two deals that seem to me to be fairly good but am not sure which is the best...
  8. Need some advice on a New SSD Installation...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need some advice on a New SSD Installation...: I just installed a new SSD (Samsung 970 EVO+ NVMe M.2 1TB). The install went well, but I left some files behind on the old drive (An OCZ Trion 120gb SSD). Anyway, I though there would be a problem if I plugged the old drive back in and booted up into windows without hitting...
  9. Going to W10, need advice on laptop.

in Windows 10 Support
    Going to W10, need advice on laptop.: Going to W 10, need advice on laptop. Currently I have an MSI 17" laptop with 256GB ssd w?W7 Pro 32 bit. And it has been the best PC Ive owned in 30 yr.Still get several hr on orig batt. My computing is done "ABOVE the CODE & HDWE." HVerave been an info mgr, analyzer for 50...
  10. New memory advice needed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New memory advice needed: Since I'm going to install a new SSD in my lappy, I want to increase the memory also. I want to install 16GB, it has two slots. One has 8GB in it now. I looked on Crucial and there are four choices for 16GB kits. Which would be the best choice ?...