Windows 10: Got a Windows 10 update that won't install - any ideas?

Discus and support Got a Windows 10 update that won't install - any ideas? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, My mum's Acer laptop suddenly has a Windows 10 update that won't install (gif screenshot attached hopefully) and we can't get rid of it either.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by rowantree, Dec 26, 2015.

1. rowantree Win User

Got a Windows 10 update that won't install - any ideas?

Hi,

My mum's Acer laptop suddenly has a Windows 10 update that won't install (gif screenshot attached hopefully) and we can't get rid of it either.

I found the Windows Update Troubleshooter and ran that as Administrator but it's made no difference.

She's been running Windows 10 for several months now with no issues until now. She doesn't use Defender, uses Norton but again all has been fine for months.

Any wise words on how to clear this out the way much appreciated.

Thank you,

:)

rowantree, Dec 26, 2015
  2. Mvhnexus Win User

Windows 10 updating but then failed. now stuck at 0%

at first it wasn't updating at all, keep failing. but i searched here and found Windows Update Diagnostic. i used it and it worked. but then half way installing it failed. now my computer won't let me use Windows Update Diagnostic again and won't install
    Windows 10.

EDIT: Now it won't let me in the Windows Update Screen. it freezes.

EDIT 2Got a Windows 10 update that won't install - any ideas? :eek:k i got the windows update to work again. Windows 10 was downloading and about to install but then it failed again. got two errors.

Got a Windows 10 update that won't install - any ideas? [​IMG]

Mvhnexus, Dec 26, 2015
  3. Resetting Windows 10 - Stuck at 1%

My Windows 10 is also stuck on 1% (for several days now) and the updates won't get past the "updates are available" stage. I have tried restarting and got a message: "Windows can't install updates" can't get any further with this problem. Can anybody assist
    please?

Casso

Bob and Marion LCassidy, Dec 26, 2015
  4. davidhk Win User

I could be out-dated on this subject.
    My understanding is that Notron is supposed to shut own Windows Defender. Reason being that Norton has its own defender. Having 2 defenders running in the same system will create conflicts, not to mention redundancy.
    What I don't understand is............ why Windows Update is still trying to download Windows Defender definition if WD has been turned off.
    Would you please check to see if Windows Defender is still running ?
    In the search box next to Start button, type windows defender > press Enter key.
    What shows up after that ?

davidhk, Dec 26, 2015
  5. rowantree Win User
    Hi,

Thanks for replying, I can't check that until I next get to my mum's at the end of the week but I can tell you that Windows Defender is NOT running, I checked that through today. I then presumed maybe it just updates the definitions file by default anyway. If you check for updates it decides it needs to update Defender, it downloads something, and then it doesn't install, then you get the screenshot I attached. My worry is that's blocking any other Windows updates (though her laptop seems otherwise the same as my two in term of updated) and I don't know how to clear the message out the way... any thoughts on what to try later in the week?

Thanks.

rowantree, Dec 26, 2015
  6. davidhk Win User
    I am not sure how to tackle this matter.
    Sorry.

davidhk, Dec 27, 2015
  7. AmirAcle Win User
    im having same issue...

AmirAcle, Dec 28, 2015
  8. Superfly Win User

Turning off WD is easy running Pro.
    Search "Edit Group Policy"

Got a Windows 10 update that won't install - any ideas? [​IMG]

Double-Click on it and set "enabled"

Superfly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Got a Windows 10 update that won't install - any ideas? - Similar Threads - Got update won't

2. anyone got any idea what to do

in Windows 10 Gaming
    anyone got any idea what to do: I have a joke:win32 threat on my pc if i run a scan it says no threats found but it still says threats need action i can't get rid of them no matter what i try any ideas anyone...
  3. anyone got any idea what to do

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    anyone got any idea what to do: I have a joke:win32 threat on my pc if i run a scan it says no threats found but it still says threats need action i can't get rid of them no matter what i try any ideas anyone...
  4. Exe file won't opn. Any ideas?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Exe file won't opn. Any ideas?: Have done a regedit. Have done a scannow and there's been no change. The following screenshot error occurs when trying to open an exe file. Any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exe-file-wont-opn-any-ideas/f8a0db3c-80d7-4093-bc47-93a4dad9c528
  5. Any ideas why this preview update is being installed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Any ideas why this preview update is being installed: Hi folks I'm running a W2k19 server as a VM -- I'm only enrolled in the insider option for W10 so I'm a bit confused as to why I'm getting a preview update for W2K19 server -- the server installed is a "Retail" version (got from Work) not a "Trial" system. I don't mind of...
  6. Any idea how to install Fonts in an Unlicensed Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any idea how to install Fonts in an Unlicensed Windows 10?: Hi, I am using an unlicensed Windows 10 and I am not interested in paying for it. Mainly because I use Ubuntu as my daily driver and only need this to run the Adobe Creativity Suite. I am currently stuck on an illustrator project and need a specific font to be installed to...
  7. Got any ideas why my laptop will not sleep?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Got any ideas why my laptop will not sleep?: I close the laptop lid, the screen blanks, but I can see from continued disk activity that the laptop has not entered Sleep state. In a few minutes, battery charge goes from 100% to 82%. What would cause this? Can it be corrected? Warm Regards, Mark....
  8. Windows 10 won't upgrade, any ideas?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 won't upgrade, any ideas?: My computer was an upgrade through the Windows 8 purchase from XP, to Windows 10 Preview and then to Windows 10 official update. It is Pro version. It seems to work correctly and has been updating as far as I can tell, except the last big update. It never shows the option to...
  9. Got any Idea what is going on?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Got any Idea what is going on?: Not wanting to copy and paste my help thread from other forums that I never got a reply from I will try to get help here. The problem I am experiencing is Default Application I get the How do you want to open this file? Problem: It opens without me doing...
  10. Can't create Windows 10 Installation Media. Any ideas?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't create Windows 10 Installation Media. Any ideas?: I'm in the process of building a new computer for my wife. I've purchased a new Windows 10 Home license and planned to use Microsoft's installation media creation tool to create an install flash drive. It seems like a no-brainer but the tool won't recognize any of my flash...