Windows 10: Got an email from Microsoft today (somewhat urgent)

Discus and support Got an email from Microsoft today (somewhat urgent) in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi guys! I got an email from "microsoft" today - emphasis on "microsoft" because I'm still deliberating if it is legit or not. First email a couple of... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by jaypels, Jan 15, 2017.

1. jaypels Win User

Got an email from Microsoft today (somewhat urgent)

Hi guys! I got an email from "microsoft" today - emphasis on "microsoft" because I'm still deliberating if it is legit or not. First email a couple of hours ago is that someone tried to access my account and the second on is that someone successfully accessed my acount.

I know my password is secure and I haven't logged in to my account using any other computer but maybe - just maybe someone did. I tried clicking the link and it send to a somewhat legit microsoft page. Can anyone shed light into this? I attached snips of the email

Got an email from Microsoft today (somewhat urgent) [​IMG]

:)

jaypels, Jan 15, 2017

2. I just got an email from a "Microsoft subsidiary" that my driver updates will stop tomorrow. I have to pay to get them to continue. Is this truly Microsoft doing thi?

Drivers once installed don't just stop working. Only get drivers when you think you need them and then only get them from a device's manufacturer like nVidia or the manufacturer of your computer. The major manufacturers like Dell and HP provide a "Support
    Assistant" that is installed on the computer when you buy it. They alert you when a new driver is available for your device. You can go for years sometimes without needing any new drivers.

If your computer is working fine, you don't need drivers.

Cbarnhorst, Jan 15, 2017
  3. lacrumb Win User
    I just got an email from a "Microsoft subsidiary" that my driver updates will stop tomorrow. I have to pay to get them to continue. Is this truly Microsoft doing thi?

Run Windows Defender and if you haven't loaded it, get MalwareBytes free version and run it.

If you do not know who the email is from always look at the senders email address. If it has a funny set of letters at the end it may be a scan from overseas.

Do not open them but move them to Junk and clean out Junk.

Even if they say there are from someplace that you know check the email address.

I get a bunch of emails that are phishing saying that my Verison email account is full and I look at the email address and it is not Verison so all I do is forward it to Verisons phishing site as an attachment.

lacrumb, Jan 15, 2017
  4. topgundcp Win User

It's a scam. MS never email anybody for such thing.

topgundcp, Jan 15, 2017
  5. TairikuOkami, Jan 15, 2017
  6. jaypels Win User
    Thanks for the tip guys. I changed my password just to be sure using the link you gave Tairiku. The funny thing is, the confirmation email sender when I changed my password is the same email that sent me the warning in the first place. I checked the recent activities and my account was not logged in from another place. Maybe it was just a false alarm.

jaypels, Jan 15, 2017
  7. Kari Win User
    I am sorry but I think you are wrong.

These emails can be and sometimes are scams, but in these cases the sender is not an email from a valid Microsoft sender and link does not take to valid Microsoft https site. I have received exactly the same message on various Live, MSN and outlook.com addresses a few times and they have always been valid.

Noticeable is that as OP's last screenshot shows, link in email took to authentic secured Microsoft site.

Microsoft really sends this message when there has been unusual or suspected activity. Last time I got this message when I wanted to share something personal from OneDrive (not shared publicly) with someone in another country who has nor has never had any Microsoft accounts or emails. For some reason he could not download the shared file although I had set sharing not to require a Microsoft account.

As I trust my life in hands of this person, I decided to let him sign in to OneDrive with my credentials and download the file. I first changed password of my outlook.com email to a temporary password and disabled two step authentication as he was waiting on phone, he then signed in to my OneDrive and downloaded the file, me all the time waiting on the phone, and when he was done and signed out I immediately changed my password again and re-enabled two step authentication.

Exactly the same email than in OP's first screenshot arrived not a full day later.

In OP's case I assume that even when checking the message header it reveals it really came from actual Microsoft domain.

8. topgundcp Win User

@Kari
    OK. Thanks for the correction.

topgundcp, Jan 15, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Always look at the full header if you have any doubts about authenticity. 'From' addresses can be spoofed, look at the originating domain to see if it truly came from who it said it did.

10. Kari Win User
    True. The problem today is that many scammers use the original message body from real, original messages. It can sometimes be really difficult to say if message is real or fake without checking all available information.

Full header also reveals the real URL in links in email. If link says it's for account management for your Microsoft email account and link really is https://account.microsoft.com (or https://account.live.com), it's a real thing.

An example of a recent email from Microsoft regarding app passwords of one of my Microsoft email accounts. The button to click shows not where the click takes me, but message header as it shows all information reveals that it in fact is a valid, real Microsoft secure site:

11. jaypels Win User
    A normal user would have a hard time guessing if the email is legit or not. Sometimes the email looks very legit.

jaypels, Jan 16, 2017
  12. Kari Win User
    That's what I said in my previous post. Scammers copying and using the original message body, layout, everything, it makes it hard to see if real or fake.

A bit long reply now but as I think this might benefit a user or two, I'll post it:

Using email from my inbox, exactly like the one in your original post as an example, before clicking any links simply bring the pointer on top of the link, not clicking it. Browsers using a status bar at bottom will now show the real URL, the address where you will be taken in statusbar bottom left:

Microsoft Edge does not have statusbar but the link URL should also be seen bottom left. Link text could be anything but the URL shown when you mouse over it is always the one where you would be taken if you click the link.

If for some reason the URL is not shown you can right click the link and copy it:

Now paste it in Notepad (some advice I've seen says paste it in browser addressbar but I do not recommend it because an accidental key press might open the link):

Now you can see if the link URL is real or fake. In the address you'll see protocol (red in screenshot above, usually either http or https, latter being secure), subdomain (blue), domain (green) and top level domain (TLD, yellow).

Subdomain can be whatever, every domain owner can set up any preferred subdomains. Most common subdomain is www. Subdomain www is usually not needed to enter a domain's website, you can browse to TenForums with either www.tenforums.com with subdomain.

It's enough to be sure link is real if domain and top level domain are real, in this case microsoft.com. Regardless which if any subdomain is shown, that can't be faked: no one else than Microsoft web admins can add subdomains to Microsoft domain.

Thema:

1. Got an email from Microsoft today (somewhat urgent) - Similar Threads - Got email Microsoft

2. Email from Microsoft

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Email from Microsoft: How can we verify if an email is coming from Microsoft? I have received an email that looks legitimate, however it does not sound like any email we have ever received from Microsoft regarding Licencing. It involves one of my clients and I need more information before anyone...
  3. just got a weird email from microsoft account team,help!

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    just got a weird email from microsoft account team,help!: hey. just got email that my account name not this account was changed.i did not change it!im trying to log in but dont get the code they send bc its sent to the new account name,i think. please help! thanks....
  4. Somewhat constant BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Somewhat constant BSOD: Hello, I've been having BSODs about daily since a couple of weeks ago. They appear mostly while gaming, however it happened once while listening to spotify and browsing the web. The string that appears the most is: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. Though, I encountered one with...
  5. emails from microsoft

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    emails from microsoft: I keep getting these emails from Microsoft account team about a closed account.. I did have this account and closed it.. Microsoft was supposed to close it on 1/5, which I assume they did.. Now I get this email hundreds or times every day.. How do i stop it.. This is the...
  6. I got an email from Microsoft but I don't know if this is fake or not.

I got an email from Microsoft but I don't know if this is fake or not.: [ATTACH] I got this on Gmail but I am suspicious about the email address and the e-mail title also looks unprofessional. This email also has translation in Spanish, French, and German. Is this a scam email?...
  7. Got the 20H2 update today. This was fast!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Got the 20H2 update today. This was fast!: As usual I searched for Windows updates to my computer today which I do every morning. The download AND initial install took under 10 seconds! After reboot the final installation took about 30 seconds. This is the fastest update to a new version ever! As present everything...
  8. The "REPLY"to an email received today was not sent from the computer.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The "REPLY"to an email received today was not sent from the computer.: My computer failed to send the Reply to an Outlook email received today. Running Outlook from Office 365 w/h Windows 10. After Sending the Reply, I checked the Outlook's SENT log to confirm that the Reply (attached to email received) was not in the log. Can the REPLY and...
  9. I got two suspicious emails today

I got two suspicious emails today: Hi there, I got two suspicious emails today. Both on the email address I use for my microsoft account. The first was one that only had "Your verification code is: XXXXXX.[IMG]" from *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. The second had a message that started with "...
  10. Got this error today Event 4401

in Windows 10 Support
    Got this error today Event 4401: 7.488: EFS service failed to provision a user for EDP. Error code: 0x80070005. What is this? Should I be worried? 77641