Windows 10: Got PC to clean install - now how do I move to new SSD

Discus and support Got PC to clean install - now how do I move to new SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Second PC with Win 7 Pro 32 bit was a struggle...but succeeded in Brinks clean install and activation of 10...but was a real struggle. Now...how can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by trinaz, Dec 20, 2015.

1. trinaz Win User

Got PC to clean install - now how do I move to new SSD

Second PC with Win 7 Pro 32 bit was a struggle...but succeeded in Brinks clean install and activation of 10...but was a real struggle.

Now...how can I transfer the new 10 install on an HDD to a new Sata SSD in the same box ? So far haven't figured out how to make the SSD with an installed image of the new 10 install from HDD to boot from the Sata at PC startup ?

What am I doing wrong...and how do I get the SSD image of my new 10 clean install to boot from the SSD ?

I think it has to do with partitions and active Windows partition but don't remember what/how to change the boot disk to the new SSD ?

snipping toolThanks....TiminAz

:)

trinaz, Dec 20, 2015

2. Can I do a clean install to a new SSD?

Check to make sure Windows 10 is activated.

Click Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation

Once you have determined it is activated, you can proceed to install the new SSD then reinstall Windows 10 on the new SSD.

You can also download the November Update ISO and perform a direct install:

How to download official
    Windows 10 ISO files

and

How to install
    and activate Windows 10 using your Windows 7 or Windows 8 product key

Andre Da Costa, Dec 20, 2015
  3. Can I do a clean install to a new SSD?

If your current win 10 OS is activated you can do a clean install from the ISO and simply skip the step where it asks for your key. The installation will check with the online activation servers, verify your credentials and complete the install.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Dec 20, 2015
  4. CmmTch Win User

The way I did it when I moved from an HDD to SSD, was perform a backup/image of the drive to an internal HDD I use specifically for backups. I then removed the drive I had taken a backup/image from, installed the SSD, booted from install media, chose repair computer, restore from backup and imaged the new SSD from the backup/image on my backup HDD.

That worked great, all my files, bookmarks, everything was restored onto the new SSD. I did have to boot from install media and do a startup repair to get it to boot from the SSD.

Important, remove all drives except the one with the backup/image, and the new SSD until you're booting from the SSD. You may have to run startup repair more than once to get bootmgr set correctly on the SSD.

P.S. When you install the new SSD put it on the first SATA port, usually 0.

CmmTch, Dec 20, 2015
  5. Steve C Win User
    Steve C, Dec 21, 2015
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
Thema:

1. Got PC to clean install - now how do I move to new SSD - Similar Threads - Got clean install

2. Clean Install Windows on New SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean Install Windows on New SSD: Hello I've currently got HDD running on my laptop with os and games,but I wanted to upgrade SSD and clean install windows 10 on it, without losing games which are over gigs of worth re-downloading on them on 1mbps connection will be frustrating,I want to remove OS partition...
  3. Clean Install Windows on New SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean Install Windows on New SSD: Hello I've currently got HDD running on my laptop with os and games,but I wanted to upgrade SSD and clean install windows 10 on it, without losing games which are over gigs of worth re-downloading on them on 1mbps connection will be frustrating,I want to remove OS partition...
  4. Clean install to new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install to new SSD: I just purchased a SSD to replace my HDD and I am trying to install windows 10 on the new SSD. I have the key, and the cloning didn’t work for me. I am just looking for a fresh new install on the new SSD so I can remove the old HDD. Any and all help is greatly appreciated....
  5. How to move from HDD to SSD with clean install?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to move from HDD to SSD with clean install?: I have a SSD on way that I will be using to run Windows and some apps. I will do a clean install of Windows on SSD. Will I need to format the old HDD? I want to retain my files that are not stored in C drive. submitted by /u/iamharshkumar97 [link] [comments]...
  6. MOVING SSD TO A NEW PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    MOVING SSD TO A NEW PC: I am getting an Intel bare bones NUC. I want to simply take my SSD out of my old PC and install it in the new one, and hopefully boot up. I do have my Windows 10 license activated and associated with my Microsoft account. Will I be able to make this change successfully, and...
  7. Clean install of a new SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean install of a new SSD: I recently installed a new ssd for my OS, some a game and some programs off a USB stick. Now I have a two system reserved (D:) and (E:) with nothing in them, I'm assuming there is some hidden files but I'.m curious if I can delete them to regain the little bit of space (I...
  8. Clean install of 10 on new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install of 10 on new SSD: I am about to get a new 240Gb SSD and have been advised to clean install Windows 10 on it. This SSD will replace a SATA HDD in my existing computer running Windows 8.1. I know that I qualify for the free upgrade; I have the "Get 10" icon on my task bar. My first question...
  9. Upgraded to Win10 in old HDD - Now want to do clean install in new SSD

Upgraded to Win10 in old HDD - Now want to do clean install in new SSD: Hi All, I successfully upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 (both Pro 64-bit) in PC's old HDD. Now I want do a clean install on a brand new SSD. I have a few questions before I buy the SSD. 1. First off, is it possible to do a clean install of Win 10 in the new SSD...
  10. Clean install on new SSD

Clean install on new SSD: Hello Everyone, I intend to buy a new SSD in the coming weeks, not sure if its a Samsung Evo 250, or 500 GB drive, To install windows 10, I plan to do a Fresh Clean install of windows 10 on the new SSD, I have seen so many ways on this Forum, on the best way to do a Clean...