Windows 10: Got Win 10 Home instead of Pro

Discus and support Got Win 10 Home instead of Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Have a HP Spectre x2 laptop/tablet that came with Win 8 OEM installed, updated it to Win 8.1 Pro with one of my MSDN keys and all was Ok. Just recently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by truxtun35, Oct 9, 2015.

1. truxtun35 Win User

Got Win 10 Home instead of Pro

Have a HP Spectre x2 laptop/tablet that came with Win 8 OEM installed, updated it to Win 8.1 Pro with one of my MSDN keys and all was Ok. Just recently upgraded to Win 10 and expected to get Win 10 Pro but got Win 10 Home. Don't know if anyone has seen this before but would like to resolve the issue and end up with Win 10 Pro with out having to buy a Pro key. I know I can't enter the 8.1 Pro key in the change key feature of Win 10.

:)

truxtun35, Oct 9, 2015

2. Win 10 Pro auto installing instead of Win 10 Home

Download Windows 10 Single Language then use that to install Windows 10 Home:

Go to:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

Before you begin

Make sure you have:

• An internet connection (internet service provider fees may apply).
    • Sufficient data storage available on a computer, USB or external drive for the ISO downloads and scripts.
    • 16GB or Greater USB Flash Drive for use on low disk space systems.
    • Micro-USB Adapter for using media on Tablets.

Click in the Select edition list box and choose your edition, Windows 10 contains both installation files for Home and Professional allowing you to select either edition during setup. Choose that, click confirm and wait while the option is validated.
    Do not refresh the page. If you are running Windows 8.1 with Bing edition, please make sure you select Windows 10 SL.

Only select Windows 10 N if you live in Europe, please note it does not contain Windows Media Player.

Got Win 10 Home instead of Pro [​IMG]

Click in the list box then select your language then click confirm
    and wait while the option is validated. Do not refresh the page.

Click your desired architecture then click save.

Follow the instructions to use either the
    Microsoft .iso to USB/DVD tool
    , Rufus or the Disc Image burning utility in Windows 7 or later to prepare the .ISO file. You can also mount the .ISO file in Windows 8 or later then perform an upgrade.

Prepare Windows 10 ISO file

After you have downloaded the Windows 10 ISO, you need prepare it, this is especially important for Windows 7 users..

After obtaining the .iso file you can use the built in Disc Image burning tool or Microsoft .iso to
    USB/DVD tool
    to create a bootable DVD or USB (requires a blank DVD or USB flash stick of at least 4 GB).

After downloading the .ISO file, right click it and click Burn disc image

Insert a blank DVD

Click Burn

Windows 8/8.1 users can mount the .ISO file and start the upgrade automatically. Learn more
    here

Important:

If you are creating a bootable USB thumb drive, make sure the thumb drive is first formatted as FAT32.

Connect the thumb drive

Open Computer

Right click thumbdrive

Click Format

Make sure FAT32 is selected as the file system.

For UEFI based systems

If your computer is UEFI based, these are normally systems that come pre-loaded with Windows 8 or later, you will need to prepare the ISO file for such a configuration or you will receive an error message
    during setup. The thumbdrive needs to be formatted as FAT32 and use the GPT partitioning scheme. To do this, you need to use
    Rufus, a small tool you can download for free.

Rufus - credit: Pete Batard/Akeo

After you have installed Rufus:

• Launch it
    • Select ISO Image
    • Point to the Windows 10 ISO file
    • Check off Create a bootable disk using
    • Select GPT partitioning for EUFI firmware as the Partition scheme
    • Choose FAT32 NOT NTFS as the File system
    • Make sure your USB thumbdrive in the Device list box
    • Click Start
    • Close when complete

How to: Perform a clean install of Windows 10

Andre Da Costa, Oct 9, 2015
  3. RAC1972 Win User
    Win 10 Pro auto installing instead of Win 10 Home

Hello,

I have a laptop which has been upgraded to Windows 10 Home, freely from Windows 8 (over the top install) - and activated.

I have since purchased an SSD and would like to install a fresh version of Win 10.

BUT it automatically installs Win 10 PRO and not Home ? - so I am obviously unable to activate.

I get NO option to select Win 10 Home on install. I have downloaded the latest version, 1511 but still the same.

Stuck, Help !

RAC1972, Oct 9, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

How did you do the upgrade? Did you download an ISO file or one of the automatic upgrade tools?

NavyLCDR, Oct 9, 2015
  5. truxtun35 Win User
    No, I did the automated upgrade to Win 10.

truxtun35, Oct 9, 2015
  6. You might contact MS directly..

DustSailor, Oct 9, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Do you still have the revert to previous OS option available? I would revert back. Check to make sure you have Windows 8.1 Pro installed and activated. Then try saving the Windows 10 Pro ISO using Media Creation Tool and see if you can run that as an upgrade - it should not ask it for a product key. If it does, it won't be activated when it installs. But cross that bridge when we come to it.

Oh... and you can run showkey plus from the apps and software subforum here and see what is it says about the product keys you have. If you do an upgrade and not a clean install, it will tell you the product key you upgraded from and what version of Windows that product key is for.

NavyLCDR, Oct 9, 2015
  8. pparks1 Win User

Why not just use an MSDN key again?

pparks1, Oct 9, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Do you get unlimited keys to use or do you pay for only a certain number?

NavyLCDR, Oct 9, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello truxtun, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

If you do have a Windows 10 Pro key you can use from MSDN, then you could use it with the method in the tutorial below to quickly upgrade to Pro without losing anything.

Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

Brink, Oct 9, 2015
  11. pparks1 Win User
    If you buy MSDN you get a certain number of keys. But MSDN is very expensive. Most people running around with MSDN copies bought the keys off eBay.

pparks1, Oct 9, 2015
  12. truxtun35 Win User
    I have 5 MSDN keys for Win 8.1 Pro from my last MSDN subscription which is now expired and none for Win 10 Pro or any other edition of Win 10.

I will run the tools from this forum and see what I get. I did use some tools, not from here, to see what keys were in the BIOS and registry and they were not the same. This was after upgrading to Win 8.1 Pro from Win 8 OEM.

Original key was XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-2R243 from BIOS
    Registry key was XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-7QvP2

ShowKeyPlus reports both keys as invalid but the Original key is the same as the one ShowKeyPlus reported on the Win 10 laptop.

truxtun35, Oct 10, 2015
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

And what version of windows does showkey say those keys are for?

NavyLCDR, Oct 10, 2015
  14. showkey should give you all the info you need, and read all the keys you need, https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...7-showkey.html My laptop has an OEM 8.0 Core key but was running 8.1 Pro with my MSDN key. I got 10 Pro with the free upgrade.

alphanumeric, Oct 10, 2015
  15. I can get up to 5 each of 10 Home and 10 Pro. Thing is though, if your MSDN subscription runs out and you don't renew, you can't request any new keys. You get to keep what you have but you can't get any new ones. That's what happened to my TechNet subscription. It's frozen now. No Windows 10 keys can be had.

alphanumeric, Oct 10, 2015
Thema:

1. Got Win 10 Home instead of Pro - Similar Threads - Got Home instead

2. Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro: I have replaced my old laptop with a new one.My old PC had Win 10 Pro free update from Win 7 Pro.The new one has Win 10 Home. I was advised that all I needed to do was to change the product key using the one I had for Win 7 and it would update to the Pro version. This did...
  3. Upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro got Enterprise instead

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro got Enterprise instead: I went through the Microsoft store to upgrade my Windows 10 Home systems to Pro but I've had two of them upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise and are asking for activation. I never selected Enterprise wasn't an option how do I get the Windows 10 Pro key that I ordered installed?...
  4. Mistakenly installed Win 10 Home instead of Pro.

Mistakenly installed Win 10 Home instead of Pro.: I mistakenly installed Win 10 Home instead of Pro and now my windows won't activate. The activation troubleshoot directs me to the MS Store but there I don't have the option to install Pro and I don't have a key since it's a digital license attached to my account....
  5. inadvertant installation of Win 10 Pro instead of Home

inadvertant installation of Win 10 Pro instead of Home: While trying to reinstall Win 10 Home on this computer, I mistakenly chose Win 10 Pro. Now I am unable to go back and reinstall Home. Pro seems to be locked in and since this computer wasn't set up as a Pro box, I am not able to activate. I've changed the registry values...
  6. Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro from Home, got Enterprise that is not activated instead.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro from Home, got Enterprise that is not activated instead.: Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro from Home, got Enterprise that is not activated instead. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi/6d21d6d7-1500-4458-b69f-3ee07b1f66c0
  7. Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro from Home, got Enterprise that is not activated instead.

Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro from Home, got Enterprise that is not activated instead.: Hi, I recently bought the Windows 10 Pro upgrade from the Microsoft Store for my laptop with Windows 10 Home installed. After the payment is finished, I got a notification to restart my laptop. When it is booted on, I checked the Settings > Activation page and instead of...
  8. Used wrong product key for Win 10 install, got 10 Home instead of Pro

Used wrong product key for Win 10 install, got 10 Home instead of Pro: So, stupid user here. My old computer started with Win 7 Home Premium (retail); a few years down the road, I bought a Win 8 Pro retail upgrade. Last week I built a new computer, intending on transferring the license from my old computer to the new one. But stupidly when...
  9. Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro: I upgraded my Win 8.1 into a Win 10 Home but it is not working properly. Does anyone can help me out how to find a free (and sound!) Win Pro for a clean install? 20601
  10. Windows 10 Home instead of Pro

Windows 10 Home instead of Pro: Hi, I'm having an issue trying to install Windows 10 PRO. Right now I have a 7 home version pre-installed, and I'm trying to install Windows 10 PRO with my OEM key. When I download W10 form Microsoft website and create the bootable device, after starting the...