Windows 10: GP Disable PIN change for Smartcard

Discus and support GP Disable PIN change for Smartcard in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Under local group policy editor, is there a way to disable change smart card PIN at Ctl Alt Del? We don't want our users changing their PINs for their... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by PaulaJava, Apr 3, 2018.

1. PaulaJava Win User

GP Disable PIN change for Smartcard

Under local group policy editor, is there a way to disable change smart card PIN at Ctl Alt Del? We don't want our users changing their PINs for their smart cards on their computers. I hope this makes sense.

:)

PaulaJava, Apr 3, 2018
  2. ITSodius Win User

Smartcard service never stays in "Automatic" mode

Hello,

For some banking operation, we (my company) must use a USB smartcard reader. Despite our efforts, the smartcard service is always disabled at startup, which is pretty annoying considering the operator is not administrator on its computer.

Any idea about that?

ITSodius, Apr 3, 2018
  3. Scobbus Win User
    Windows 10 Smartcard removal

I know this is old but.

If you setup PIN login in windows 8 or 10 then this uses a 'virtual smartcard'

If you used this feature (at all) then you would have been prompted for the PIN to unlock the certificates private key associated with the VSC.

alternatively if you clicked the key icon on the login prompt, you could use password authentication.

In some cases though it would have presented you with the certificate particulars not provided a interface to change to password entry and would have been wanting the pin code to unlock the container.

Hope this helps others.

Cheers

Scobber

Scobbus, Apr 3, 2018
  4. PaulaJava Win User

I found this registry hack:

...follow these steps to enable or disable the function that lets users change the smart card PIN:

1. Start Registry Editor. To do this, press the Windows logo key+R, type regedit, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\
    3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Key.
    4. Type SmartCardCredentialProvider, and then press Enter.
    5. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    6. Perform one of the following actions, based on the kind of smart card on which you want to restrict functionality:
    · For VSCs, type AllowVirtualSmartCardPinChangeAndUnlock, and then click Modify.
    · For physical smart cards, type AllowSmartCardPinChangeAndUnblock, and then click Modify.
    7. Type 1 in the value data box, and then click OK.

Note If you set either the AllowVirtualSmartCardPinChangeAndUnlock or AllowSmartCardPinChangeAndUnblock value to 1, users can change the format of the PIN. If you set the value to 0, users cannot change the format of the PIN.

PaulaJava, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. GP Disable PIN change for Smartcard - Similar Threads - Disable PIN change

2. How to change Sign In Pin and disable Sign in Pin option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change Sign In Pin and disable Sign in Pin option: Dear Guys,I have a problem in Pin Window Hello, this option is currently unavailable, I saw people got option to remove and change Pin, Please help me to fix this in my PC.Regards and many thanks for your help....
  3. How to change Sign In Pin and disable Sign in Pin option

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change Sign In Pin and disable Sign in Pin option: Dear Guys,I have a problem in Pin Window Hello, this option is currently unavailable, I saw people got option to remove and change Pin, Please help me to fix this in my PC.Regards and many thanks for your help....
  4. How to change Sign In Pin and disable Sign in Pin option

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. SmartCard Service error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SmartCard Service error: I'm experiencing an issue with my SmartCard.I thought it was the reader. It is not. I repeat, it's NOT the reader.I checked the service and noticed that it's not running. I tried to start it and got an error:Windows could not start the Smart Card service on Local...
  6. RDP GP not working

RDP GP not working: My RDP connection will only allow users with Domain Admin membership to RDP even though I have Remote Desktop Users in the group policy with everyone I would like to connect. Unless I give them Domain Admin Rights, they won't be able to connect. Any ideas?...
  7. Changing Placeholder text in Windows 10 login SmartCard

Changing Placeholder text in Windows 10 login SmartCard: I'm looking to change the text in this box for all users and its when using a smart card. Users enter their smart card to log in and the screen changes with two boxes, one labeled PIN and the second box Username Hint. Pretty sure I'll need to get deep into RegEdit for this...
  8. Problems with folder encryption (Windows 10), what is a smartcard PIN?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problems with folder encryption (Windows 10), what is a smartcard PIN?: Hi, everybody, I want to encrypt a folder on my hard disk or protect it with a password. When I select the option in the folder properties and try to apply, a window opens asking me to enter a "Smartcard PIN" (see picture). But there is no input field in this window and...
  9. Smartcard login

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Smartcard login: Hi All I have started to use a Smartcard to login to my Windows 10 Education machine. Logging in works fine but the one annoying problem I have is that when I boot up the machine and am at the login screen it ALWAYS defaults to using a password login. This even happens...
  10. logon with smartcard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    logon with smartcard: Is it possible and if yes how to logon in windows 10 (home version 64-bits) with a smartcard? Open Source software? Microsoft build-in? I already installed the drivers for the smartcard reader and the middleware. I have a Belgian Eid card and I can connect to sites which...