Windows 10: GPT configuration question

Discus and support GPT configuration question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Thanks.. I gave up on Acronis years ago when it didn't even recognise my first SATA drive - it's relative bloatware now. I gave up also on (paid)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by makridge, Jan 18, 2016.

1. cereberus Win User

GPT configuration question

I gave up also on (paid) Acronis a few years ago as it was buggy as hell with eufi pcs, but Macrium just worked every time. I did quite a bit of testing of free versions across a range of xdevices eg eufi laptop, a bios laptop, and a tablet with 32 bit eufi.

Macrium Reflect Free
    Easeus Todo Backup Free
    Veeam (recently)
    Clonezilla
    Paragon
    Aoemi
    Clonezilla

The only one that was 100% consistent, fast and reliable was Macrium.

It was the only one that worked on my tablet.

No contest in my mind. MRF is a Rolls Royce by comparison.

cereberus, Jan 20, 2016
  2. dalchina New Member

@cereberus: I moved from Easeus to Aomei some time back, no problems with my older BIOS/SATA laptop, but will shortly be getting a UEFI/SSD/HDD laptop.. just wondering if you recall what didn't work for you with Aomei? Can appreciate it's hard to recall the differences.. (I have a Pro license).

dalchina, Jan 20, 2016
  3. cereberus Win User
    It just failed to restore properly on my eufi laptop, but it was an older version, and completely refused to work ony tablet.

I found all packages worked on bios pcs a t had mixed experiences on eufi. To be fair initial implementation of eufi was a bit dodgy as well.

However all my tablet tests are only a year old, and MRF was the only one that worked, which is a big confidence booster to its overall reliability.

Basically, I would install Macrium as well and hedge your bets by backing up with it as well as AOEMI, then if one fails, you can use the other. I make occasional backups with Easeus for same reason.

cereberus, Jan 20, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

sorry about typing - using mobile

cereberus, Jan 20, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    Thanks, I'll have to do a little experimentation when I get the laptop with latest version; better forewarned..

dalchina, Jan 20, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    Suggest you create a usb recovery drive (control panel, recovery, create recovery drive, and click to copy system files).

Then it is a good time to experiment with AOEMI and MRF (Easeus is pretty good as well, thereafter much of a much) to your hearts content before you have installed lots of apps, got lots of critical data etc.

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs as a power user, but the one thing people often forget is to change bios settings so default is to boot from usb stick first.

Not a big deal for legacy bios pcs provided you know which keys to press, but for uefi pcs, things have changed. One slightly (imo) retrograde step is that with uefi, it is not always possible to get to bios simply by pressing F2 or something like that, requiring you to go via windows menus or startup up drive.

Even if you can use F2 or similar, it does not always work if fastboot is enabled, as you cannot press key fast enough at correct time.

This can get you in a catch 22 if windows or boot sectors gets corrupted, as you cannot boot to usb to change order to boot from usb.

There are ways around it eg remove hard drives completely, so pc boots to usb, and then yiu can get to bios to change boot order, and replace hard drive. Others involve removing cmos battery, changing bios jumper settings etc. to force jump to bios.

All this hassle can be avoided by changing boot order as soon as you get laptop.

cereberus, Jan 20, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    It will be one of my early tasks.. with Win 8 I had boot options set for Safe Mode and Normal.. which led to the interesting situation when I upgraded to '10 that I was initially presented with options to boot to Win 10 and to Win 8 Safe Mode...*chuckle

My first thought is usually to try to ensure I can get out of the mess I'm going to get myself into... and since the late 90's and my first laptop I can say I've never lost anything much, as regards data, and recovered from partition table corruption and other problems.

I've used disk imaging for a good number of years, and am aware of the issues with UEFI of using boot disks- just have to deal with it for the 1st time.

I am, however, looking forward to an OS booting off Samsung 951 MSata (really fast) to HyperX RAM.... and fast program loading. USB3 then should make imaging a whole lot faster. Add on a hi-res screen.. hmm. And I started with a 366MHz processor, 10Gb disk, 3 laptops ago... (and earlier with a 16 bit system with 64k bytes RAM where 8 cards - PCBs- each had 8kbytes of RAM on them).

dalchina, Jan 20, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

Yeah amazing how things have changed. I actually had an IBM XT from one of the very first batches shipped to UK, running MSDOS, as I was working for the government, and we got priority over business due to defence related work. Boy - we thought they were awesome. CPU was approx 5 MHZ (compare 2000 MHz now!).

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. GPT configuration question - Similar Threads - GPT configuration question

2. Unable to configure security questions in french version of Windows

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to configure security questions in french version of Windows: Hi, there is no way in my windows 10 to configure security questions, the option is just not there. Is that normal?I have another Windows 10 install and it's all fine there also in french....
  3. Unable to configure security questions in french version of Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to configure security questions in french version of Windows: Hi, there is no way in my windows 10 to configure security questions, the option is just not there. Is that normal?I have another Windows 10 install and it's all fine there also in french....
  4. Unable to configure security questions in french version of Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Question regarding System Configuration.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question regarding System Configuration.: I am unable to save changes in System Configuration to 'Normal Boot'. Everytime is click 'Ok', nothing happens and it is still checked on 'Selective startup'. What should I do??Please help guys.Regards, Labeeb....
  6. Question regarding System Configuration.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question regarding System Configuration.: I am unable to save changes in System Configuration to 'Normal Boot'. Everytime is click 'Ok', nothing happens and it is still checked on 'Selective startup'. What should I do??Please help guys.Regards, Labeeb....
  7. General questions about configuring laptop for the best performance.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    General questions about configuring laptop for the best performance.: Hi all, I had some questions regarding improvements in my computer, specifically for gaming, even though my laptop is not suited to do so all that much. However, until I can upgrade, which will be quite some time, I was looking to get the absolute best gaming experience I...
  8. Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3 questions on EFI and GPT

in Windows 10 Support
    Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3 questions on EFI and GPT: I installed Windows 10 (20H2) on a 2TB HDD (MBR) in a PC with a GA-P67A-UD4-B3 Motherboard. Works fine until I add a GPT HDD then the system will not boot. If I add GPT HDDs once Windows is running there is no problem. However that is hardly ideal. Is there any way round this...
  9. Question about VM performance and RAM configuration.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Question about VM performance and RAM configuration.: My laptop has a 4GB RAM module and a 2GB module, so only 4GB can work in dual channel mode. The system usually uses about 3GB, but when I'm running a VM, it uses around 5GB. Is it likely that this is why my VM is so sluggish? (I'm not sure whether this is a RAM question or a...
  10. Diskpart question-convert from GPT to MBR on a flash drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Diskpart question-convert from GPT to MBR on a flash drive: Hi, I have a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive that was created using Rufus so it has GPT partition table for UEFI setup. I want to put it back to MBR partition style using Diskpart. In diskpart if I select the disk and then use the clean command does the disk go back to...