Windows 10: GPT for OS move?

Discus and support GPT for OS move? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Problem: Can't use Refresh on my MBR boot drive because of UEFI/GPT restrictions. Alternative 1: It seems that none of the partition managers,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kupuna, May 17, 2016.

1. Kupuna Win User

GPT for OS move?

Problem: Can't use Refresh on my MBR boot drive because of UEFI/GPT restrictions. Alternative 1: It seems that none of the partition managers, commercial or Win-based will change the current C:\ MBR to GPT without wiping out the disk content. I have three partitions on the c: drive. If I clean the partitions (after backup) with Win 10 running, is enough of it in memory to allow a removal of the boot drive content and change the drive to GPT?? Alternative 2: would be to clean an available drive, apply a GPT boot table and use a utility to transfer the OS. Alternative 3: would be to clean a drive set it to GPT and do a clean install of v. 1511 (build 10586.318) that I have on hand. Then I'd have to manually install all the "lost" apps from the old drive.
    I'm sure I'm missing some logical procedure here. Anyone out there have ideas? I'd be very grateful!

:)

Kupuna, May 17, 2016

2. Add Windows 7 to a new windows 10 Laptop

I also got a new laptop with main win 10 installed. I want to install win 7 as a dual OS. When i try to do so, the problem occur is that my disk is GPT disk. So what sould i do? Can i install win 7 as a dual OS in GPT disk? Is there anyway to convert GPT
    disk to MBR disk without effected current OS?

Nguyễn Ngọc Oanh Vũ, May 17, 2016
  3. Cal54 Win User
    System Image Restore

Yes it can make a difference when using the GPT format on a drive it is made to use with UEFI and Boots in a different way not using MBR. But I have Installed on GPT before and just have to add the OS partition to the Master Boot record manually so it would
    boot.

When using a GPT formatted disk with a MBR system it is best used as storage and not for an OS.

I think the thing with MBR is if you make a boot record in the Master boot record that goes to a disk that does not have an OS or something that will not boot it will fail to boot.

Cal54, May 17, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

GPT for OS move?

Ztruker, May 23, 2016
  5. Cromax Win User
    Cromax, May 23, 2016
  6. Kyhi Win User
    What are the three partitions on the MBR drive ??

You can use my Bootable PE Rescue disk (link in sig below)

Use macruim reflect to backup the OS partition to external drive..

clean and convert current drive to GPT
    create a GPT partition layout > EFI, Reserve, OS, Recovery tools
    restore the backup to the new OS partition

use the option in macrium to repair boot files

or you can do it manually via a bcdboot command

7. Depends on the goal - are you determined to have GPT?

Option 1
    Set firmware to legacy (or cms)
    Disable Secure boot

This will let you run the system on the existing MBR drive
    Option 2
    Run Belarc to get your software audit (including keys)

Make sure your Win10 install media is on a Fat32 formatted USB with - or - on a DVD

Leave firmware as UEFI
    Disable Secure boot

Clean a spare drive (no partitions, not initialized MBR or GPT) - diskpart clean
    Install Win10 - it will initialize the drive GPT and create the correct partition schema.
    Install your favorite apps - but get the latest from the vendor site (too many bugs caused by old software)
    Read through this tutorial and ask any other questions:
    Windows 10 - Clean Install

Slartybart, May 23, 2016
  8. Kupuna Win User

GPT for OS move?

Kupuna, May 23, 2016
  9. Kyhi Win User
    GPT is only supported by UEFI...

10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Booting from a GPT disk is only supported by UEFI. Secondary drives partitioned with GPT do not require UEFI.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

GPT for OS move?

1. GPT for OS move? - Similar Threads - GPT move

2. [Solved][MBR 2 GPT] Move or create new system partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    [Solved][MBR 2 GPT] Move or create new system partition: EDIT : I was able to solve my issue using the command bcdboot C:\Windows /s C: which adds the necessary booting files to the C: drive in this case, my SSD. Therefore I was able to use the command mbr2gpt /convert to convert my C: drive from MBR to GPT.Hi,I want to enable...
  3. [Solved][MBR 2 GPT] Move or create new system partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    [Solved][MBR 2 GPT] Move or create new system partition: EDIT : I was able to solve my issue using the command bcdboot C:\Windows /s C: which adds the necessary booting files to the C: drive in this case, my SSD. Therefore I was able to use the command mbr2gpt /convert to convert my C: drive from MBR to GPT.Hi,I want to enable...
  4. [Solved][MBR 2 GPT] Move or create new system partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. [MBR 2 GPT] Move or create new system partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [MBR 2 GPT] Move or create new system partition: Hi,I want to enable secure boot on my SSD to install Windows 11, but I first have to convert it from MBR to GPT. The command mbr2gpt /convert doesn't work because my boot partition and my system partition aren't on the same drive - the system partition is on an old drive...
  6. [MBR 2 GPT] Move or create new system partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    [MBR 2 GPT] Move or create new system partition: Hi,I want to enable secure boot on my SSD to install Windows 11, but I first have to convert it from MBR to GPT. The command mbr2gpt /convert doesn't work because my boot partition and my system partition aren't on the same drive - the system partition is on an old drive...
  7. [MBR 2 GPT] Move or create new system partition

8. Stymied moving Win10 from MBR computer to GPT computer . . .

Stymied moving Win10 from MBR computer to GPT computer . . .: I have an issue in moving my win 10 system from one computer to another MBR on old, GPT on new. I have been unable to get an MBR Win10 image from a working computer to work on a GPT system. MBR2GPT throws error, rebuilding with BCDBOOT doesn't work. At this point, I've...
  9. Anyone have experience with moving GPT mirrored boot drives to a new motherboard?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Anyone have experience with moving GPT mirrored boot drives to a new motherboard?: Can't find this with Google. I have two 2TB SSDs mirrored with Windows that are my boot drives, and I need to move them to a new motherboard. Same CPU and everything else. Will this cause any problems, or is there a special way I need to do it? Edit: I'm running Windows 10...
  10. Move System Reserved Partition to Allow GPT Formatting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move System Reserved Partition to Allow GPT Formatting: I built my own computer with a 500GB SSD and 4TB HDD. Unfortunately I made the mistake of having both drives connected when installing Windows 10 for the first time, and now there's a System Reserved partition on my HDD. The problem with that is that it's only recognizing...