Windows 10: GPT Partition Style Problem for Clean Install of Windows 10

Discus and support GPT Partition Style Problem for Clean Install of Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Having upgrade Windows 8.1 to W10, I wish to now do a clean install, but cannot install over current installation due to it being a GPT Partition... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RogHil43, Aug 15, 2015.

1. RogHil43 Win User

GPT Partition Style Problem for Clean Install of Windows 10

Having upgrade Windows 8.1 to W10, I wish to now do a clean install, but cannot install over current installation due to
    it being a GPT Partition style boot. I have heard this can be deleted and replaced with MBR but then will I have to format the partition?

:)

RogHil43, Aug 15, 2015

2. can't install win 10 on both gpt and mbr partition

I have a hp laptop which came preinstalled with windows 8.1

so yesterday I was trying to install windows 10 pro 64 bit but an error occurred which said that windows can't be installed on gpt partition style.

therefore using AOMEI partition assistant I converted gpt to mbr partition style.

then again I tried to install windows 10 but this time it shows an error that windows can't be installed on mbr partition style with motherboard supporting EFI or UEFI. It can only be installed on gpt style.

so again I converted mbr to gpt partition and tried to install windows but still it showed the former error.

so now I ask that what should I do to install windows 10 ???

nilakshsing, Aug 15, 2015
  3. Carlos ST Win User
    DismHost.exe Windows 10

Hello, I tried to Clean Install Windows 10 from SD Card Boot. However, when I delete the partition it tells me:
    Windows cannot be installed to the disk. The Selected disk is of the GPT partition style. What should I do?

Carlos ST, Aug 15, 2015
  4. bobkn Win User

You'll want to keep GPT if you have a UEFI system, I think.

I did a clean install by booting from a USB flash drive. I used the Win 10 installer to delete all the partitions on my boot drive (SSD). It then proceeded to create and format new partitions (4 of them, one not visible in Disk Management).

In case you don't know: when asked for a key, press the small "skip" button. No key is needed. If you've installed and activated 10, it will activate for a clean install on the same hardware.

bobkn, Aug 15, 2015
  5. A Clean install is just that - your data and programs will not exist after the process.
    Make sure you have backups of any data you want to keep, and you have the discs and keys for any purchased software.

See: How to Clean Install Windows 10 (TenForums.com)
    Read through the instructions, especially the color boxes
    Ask questions about a step if you have any

Step 7 Blue Note box: If you have the free Windows 10 offer, then you will need to click/tap on Skip since you will not have a product key.

Step 11 is a branch to step 12 (no UEFI) OR step 13 (UEFI)

You do NOT have to create the partitions manually.
    Windows install will create the partitions if the drive is unallocated as shown in the tutorial.

Disconnect all other drives before the Clean install - then Windows can only write to that drive

Slartybart, Aug 15, 2015
  6. RogHil43 Win User
    I have cleaned installed many times over the years, but for the first time, I have come across a GPT partition to deal with which is where the Windows 10 upgrade is located.It selects a different partition, which is the old Windows 8.1 Recovery partition. That's fine, I don't want this any more, and don't have a problem installing on it, but I do have a partition I created which is for all my data, and hope that it this is left intact. I also have to remove the old Windows 10 installation of C: drive.

RogHil43, Aug 15, 2015
  7. Slartybart, Aug 15, 2015
  8. genet Win User

Here is info about UEFI Boot Mode (installing using the GPT partition style) and Legacy BIOS Boot Mode (installing using the MBR partition style). -> link

GPT Partition Style Problem for Clean Install of Windows 10 [​IMG]

genet, Aug 15, 2015
  9. Kyhi Win User
    Since your system is already setup for UEFI_GPT -
    the issue is your setup media is booting the PC in MBR_Bios mode..

You can disable legacy Boot option in Bios setting
    or you can rename BOOTMGR to BOOTMGR.old on your setup media
    either one of the above options will prevent your setup media from booting in Legacy (Bios-mbr mode)
    and force the pc to boot UEFI

10. Windows install will figure out the BIOS/UEFI, disk schema if you let it. If you burn the install media to a DVD, you don't have to think about any of those things, you just have to back up you personal data, find the keys and discs for 3rd party purchased software and install Win10 to an unallocated/unformatted drive.

The upgrade is even easier - just upgrade.

Slartybart, Aug 15, 2015
  11. topgundcp Win User
    Not really understand what you mean by this ?. The screenshots show the real partitioning scheme for real fresh install of Windows 10 for both MBR & UEFI.

topgundcp, Aug 15, 2015
  12. This was my clue *Wink

Slartybart, Aug 15, 2015
  13. topgundcp Win User

Gotcha. However, they are the same in the real environment. I guess he did in VM so he can take the screenshot.

topgundcp, Aug 15, 2015
  14. *Thumbs

The schema is the same - but I'm trying to figure out what the physical disk looks like now.
    I'm not sure why I want to know that, because I also know that Windows creates the proper schema on a blank drive. Just curious I guess.

I'm not certain there is an issue other than perhaps a misundertanding (post# 1)
    Win10 can be installed on a GPT drive with UEFI.
    Win10 can be installed on a MBR drive without UEFI.

If the firmware is UEFI, the disk needs to be GPT.
    If the firmware is BIOS, the disk needs to be MBR (maybe that's changed and BIOS can boot GPT drives)

There need not be any real consideration about converting GPT to MBR.

Slartybart, Aug 15, 2015
  15. genet Win User
    I am not the OP of this thread.

genet, Aug 15, 2015
Thema:

1. GPT Partition Style Problem for Clean Install of Windows 10 - Similar Threads - GPT Partition Style

2. Windows can not be installed to this disk The selected disk is of GPT partition style. Is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows can not be installed to this disk The selected disk is of GPT partition style. Is...: Hi members, I'm installing fresh windows 10 on my HP laptop, I have formated the previous windows disk for a clean installation, But now it's showing me that windows cannot be installed on this disk because the selected disk is of the GPT partition style.Is there any possible...
  3. Windows can not be installed to this disk The selected disk is of GPT partition style. Is...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows can not be installed to this disk The selected disk is of GPT partition style. Is...: Hi members, I'm installing fresh windows 10 on my HP laptop, I have formated the previous windows disk for a clean installation, But now it's showing me that windows cannot be installed on this disk because the selected disk is of the GPT partition style.Is there any possible...
  4. Windows can not be installed to this disk The selected disk is of GPT partition style. Is...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Clean installing Windows 10 on a PC SSD with GPT partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean installing Windows 10 on a PC SSD with GPT partition: Hi! I'm planning to do a clean install of Windows 10 on my malfunctioning PC it already came with Windows 10 and is now more than a year old. I've backed up all my personal files and researched about the process, but I remain confused. I have a few questions that I hope...
  6. "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style": [ATTACH] Hello everyone/anyone willing to help. I'll try to summarize everything as concisely as possible. (It'll be kinda all over the place sorry!) I have 3 storage drives. One 1TB SSD Samsung Evo 860, one Seagate 1TB HDD, and one 256GB M.2 SSD. The SSD I currently have...
  7. how to make the ISO image of the current Windows 10 installation (GPT partition style) ,as is.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how to make the ISO image of the current Windows 10 installation (GPT partition style) ,as is.: Hello to everyone. I'm looking for a tutorial or tool that help me to make the ISO bootable image of my current windows 10 installation (GPT style partition) ,as is,preserving all the settings,users,installed programs,everything. Can you someone hel me with that ? thanks....
  8. Installing Windows 10 on GPT partition

Installing Windows 10 on GPT partition: I've a Lenovo IdeaPad 110 Laptop which is currently running windows 10 on MBR partition. I want to do a clean install to change the partition type to GPT (My lap supports UEFI). How do i do that ?...
  9. windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of the GPT partition style

windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of the GPT partition style: I want to install win 10 to my ASUS Laptop but when i selected disk or partition, windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of the GPT partition style. How to install Win 10 in my Laptop, please and thank you ?...
  10. GPT Partition Style preventing Windows 10 Installation

GPT Partition Style preventing Windows 10 Installation: I just built a custom pc with a new mobo. The hdd is used and has 8.1 on it which is not legal on this mobo. I can't really afford to buy 8.1 again. Especially since 10 is free. I burnt 10 to a disk and when I try doing a clean install I get a problem with GPT message...