Windows 10: GPT Reserved Partition showing as Local Disk

Discus and support GPT Reserved Partition showing as Local Disk in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi I have a two laptops with Windows 10 x64. Recently I noticed new partition with next available letter. Size is 128mb and it can't be accessed. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Kruk, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Kruk Win User

GPT Reserved Partition showing as Local Disk

Hi

I have a two laptops with Windows 10 x64. Recently I noticed new partition with next available letter. Size is 128mb and it can't be accessed. I checked in Disk Management but this partition is not listed there as per the below screen:

GPT Reserved Partition showing as Local Disk [​IMG]

I used MiniTool Partition Wizard and managed to see details about this partition.

I tried Diskpart to remove Drive Letter but no luck:

This happened at the same time on my two HP laptops but not sure what could cause it. Maybe some Windows update? I do not remember installing any new apps. I would like to remove this disk from the list of available disks.

Can anyone suggest/advise how I can remove this from the list?

Thanks

:)

Kruk, Mar 4, 2016

2. Solving the free space problem on "microsoft system reserved partition " to Win10 upgrading

Yes, thanks

another tool , like MiniTool Partition Wizard, EaseUs, GParted, Paragon, and many other (free or not).

All know what to do with "system reserved partition" for MBR type disks.

This is commonplace.

But things are more complex for GPT type disks.

Most people are not aware of that.

For GPT disks (associated with UEFI firmware wrongly called "BIOS" ) there is also a "system reserved partition"

called ESP (EFI System Partition).

Strangely , Intel GPT specifications dates from late 1990s , and UEFI/GPT from 2010, but softwares don't manage very well GPT disks ; maybe because slow UEFI's adoption.

AndréROJAS, Mar 4, 2016
  3. Jaqenh'ar Win User
    Failure of feature update 1607 (Anniversary Update) ....it was showing we couldn't update the system reserved partition ...please help to solve this

If it’s a GPT disk, it doesn't have a system reserved partition but efi partition. On MBR disk, Windows 10 requires a 500MB system reserved partition, while 100MB in Windows 7, so you can try to extend system reserved partition.

<removed link>

Jaqenh'ar, Mar 4, 2016
  4. Word Man Win User

You never selected the volume so you can't remove the drive letter assignment - that's what the command response tells you. do a "list vol" to show list of volumes and confirm its volume number then do "select vol ___" (insert volume number) to put focus on that volume and then "remove" should work.

This appears to be your MSR partition (apparently created in Win8/Win8.1 install before upgrading to Win10). Should not have a drive letter at all.

Do you know that you are booting OK in UEFI mode ? It certainly looks like you have a GPT disk, although it's a bit mis-mashed due to upgrade process.

Word Man, Mar 5, 2016
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
  6. Word Man Win User
    Word Man, Mar 5, 2016
  7. Word Man Win User
    BTW, welcome to TenForums, Kruk.

Furthermore, Disk Management will NOT show the MSR partition, whether it has a letter assigned or not. whs's link reminded me to point that out to you.*Smile

Word Man, Mar 5, 2016
  8. Kruk Win User

Hi

Thanks for the comments. I have seen this link before but as you mentioned this can't be applied to my case as there is nothing about the letter assigned to the partition.

About the Diskpart - I tried the "list vol" but the 128mb partition was not on the result list. I will provided the print screen tomorrow.

As far as I know the booting is working fine. Is there any way to check the UEFI mode you mentioned?

Kruk, Mar 5, 2016
  9. Word Man Win User
    If boot appears fine, that's good. I was more looking to confirm you were booting UEFI. In fact, I should have just asked you to do this, from command prompt or run box: "msinfo32" and report the entry displayed on the "BIOS Mode" line - should say "UEFI".

Second thought - it should display that partition, however, in diskpart if you do "list par". here's how mine looks:

(Note partition 3, 16 MB MSR is size created during my Win10 clean install)

Word Man, Mar 5, 2016
  10. Kruk Win User
    OK. I will check it in the morning.

11. cereberus Win User
    Easiest thing to do is delete the msr partition as not really needed.

You can recreate it using diskpart commands.

Also, you could backup the 20 GB recovery partition as it is no longer needed really.

cereberus, Mar 5, 2016
  12. I have a 128 MB partition but it is labelled 'Other'. However, i also had two partitions that had drive letters assigned to them - one 601 MB at the very front of the drive and a 452 MB one at the very end of the drive! With the help of 'Word Man' and others, i decided to format both of them and now they are seen as 'unallocated' - i'm not going to worry about a GB of space on a 500 GB drive!

AthanasianCreed, Mar 5, 2016
  13. topgundcp Win User

Looking at the disk management and I am assuming you want to remove the drive letter D:
    Counting from left to right, D: drive is partition 8 (MSR partition is not shown in disk management)
    From Admin Command:
    • diskpart
    • select disk 0
    • select partition 8
    • remove
    • exit

topgundcp, Mar 5, 2016
  14. Kruk Win User
    @Cerberus - is it safe to delete this partition? I don't want to have any booting issues.
    @topgundcp - I want to remove drive letter I.

Please see below comparison of list part and list vol

As you can see 128mb MSR partition is not listed on the vol list but is on the part list.

15. cereberus Win User
    Yeah it is quite safe to delete it. It is there for future use and you can recreate it anytime with diskpart commands.

Actually, what would be really good to do is to backup the whole drive using Macrium Reflect Free, clean installing Windows 10, then restoring C drive (and other data drives) only from backup image. Then you would have a nicely setup hdd.

cereberus, Mar 5, 2016
Thema:

1. GPT Reserved Partition showing as Local Disk - Similar Threads - GPT Reserved Partition

2. Disk Partitions not showing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Partitions not showing: Hello,I'm using HP Zbook firefly 14. Total capacity of SSD is 958 GB. Earlier there was no partition in the disk Windows C ~ 958 GB. Later 3 partitions were done.Windows C ~ 252 GBLocal Disk D ~ 300 GBLocal Disk E ~ 400 GBAfter restarting the laptop on next day, only C drive...
  3. GPT needed but disk has OEM partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    GPT needed but disk has OEM partition: Trying to upgrade Windows 10 Home from 32-bit to 64-bit. After booting from the USB flash drive which, following instructions on the MIcrosoft site had the installation media put on it by the Media Creation tool it asks where do you want to install Windows. This shows...
  4. Two Local Disk Partition

Two Local Disk Partition: I was recently shifted from hdd to ssd. After that I lost access from all of my previously installed apps and software. But there is another local disk in my new ssd where I can do my daily work. I want to transfer all of my previous local disk apps and software with their...
  5. GPT disks

GPT disks: Converted 2 drives to GPT (using diskpart utility from the "repair Windows"section of installation dvd) after deleting and removing all partitions and volumes. Windows showed the 4TB drive as being the full size so it had been converted. After windows installed both drives...
  6. Move System Reserved Partition to Allow GPT Formatting

Move System Reserved Partition to Allow GPT Formatting: I built my own computer with a 500GB SSD and 4TB HDD. Unfortunately I made the mistake of having both drives connected when installing Windows 10 for the first time, and now there's a System Reserved partition on my HDD. The problem with that is that it's only recognizing...
  7. PLEASE HELP WITH GPT DISK PARTITION ERROR

PLEASE HELP WITH GPT DISK PARTITION ERROR: Now I'm at the point of getting frustrated. I did a clean install on my laptop Asus S56CM, at the moment hard drive is wiped clean no OS. I boot from USB disk to install windows and I got to the disk type is of Gpt style for two days now I don't know what to do. My bios...
  8. Showing System Reserved Partition in File Explorer?

Showing System Reserved Partition in File Explorer?: Hi For some reason Windows 10 is showing the System Reserved partition from Windows 8 in the File Explorer window. It never did this before. See Drive D:\ [img] [img] [img] Can anyone tell me how to make it invisible. Mike 2067
  9. Delete Protected Recovery Partition (GPT Disk)

Delete Protected Recovery Partition (GPT Disk): Last night I wiped out my ASUS T100 tablet to clean install TH2. But there is a 7GB Recovery partition from Windows 8.1 that I can't get rid off using Diskpart. Can someone please assist me? [img] 29808
  10. DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk: How to: DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk [img] Information Some time ago in another thread I promised a fellow Ten Forums member, esteemed geek and a good friend of mine Tony K to make him a custom DISKPART script when needed: My system at present is...