Windows 10: (GPT) SSD to SSD cloning & Confused about alignment etc..

Discus and support (GPT) SSD to SSD cloning & Confused about alignment etc.. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, so I've recieved a shipment of several SSD's for different uses, one of which was to upgrade 2 Laptops (and changing out my desktops 250GB to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sisrace, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Sisrace Win User

(GPT) SSD to SSD cloning & Confused about alignment etc..

Hi, so I've recieved a shipment of several SSD's for different uses, one of which was to upgrade 2 Laptops (and changing out my desktops 250GB to a 500GB SSD)

The first laptop was getting a 250GB SSD, I used a cloning kit that I've used before with success, (EZ GIG IV from Apricorn)
    This laptop is pretty old, and i suspect that it's BIOS only (not UEFI), and therefore i believe that the original HDD is running MBR, and this cloning worked perfectly and the computer started right up, but it felt very slow but i took it as a "cpu bottleneck" since it is running a dual core 1.3ghz pentium cpu..
    But now after researching a lot since my desktop cloning isn't working at all, I have seen that one should "align" the disk for better performance and durability.. What? Do I have to do this and how can i do this in a hassle free way?

And now for the most annoying problem! My desktop which i really can't have any hiccups in, and I litterarly have to be able to access 24/7 is having huge problems with cloning the entire 250GB SSD (including all the partitions that windows added..) to the newly installed 500GB SSD, when i used the EZ GIG IV thing, windows told me that the system needed repair and a (?startup.efi? thing was missing?) Both theese drives are GPT btw.
    Which program could i use to clone this? (reinstalling is not an option) I have made a bootable USB with CloneZilla on it, but I've read that it doesent work well with GPT-UEFI drives? This also worries me since the "old" 250GB SSD will later be Transferred to my laptop, and everything there is also GPT-UEFI.... This is frustrating too since my Laptop is what i use for my schoolwork and downtime there is not an option either, and the harddrive is looking more and more like its giving up on life...

If anything need claryfying then please let me know

:)

Sisrace, Mar 2, 2016

2. Reinstalling OEM Windows 10 to new SSD

I just want to install Windows & some software on the SSD an I will use my old hdd as the storage. so if i cloned all the data will come to the SSD. I want to store my music, movies etc. on the HDD & install Only the Windows on SSD.

Kasun Anuradha, Mar 2, 2016
  3. Ivy336289 Win User
    Window 10 Home OEM , HDD to SSD transfer(Move)

1. you can try to plug out the old HDD, then set boot priority to the SSD and boot from it.

2. try a different disk cloning software and clone HDD to SSD again. for disk cloning software, i prefer AOMEI Backupper. it offers both free version and paid version.

3. check your boot mode in bios and see the partition style of your hard drive. in general, if your boot mode is legacy bios, you can only boot from MBR disk. if your boot mode is uefi, you can only boot from GPT disk. if that's your problem, you can

convert GPT to MBR
    , and vice versa.

Ivy336289, Mar 2, 2016
  4. OldMike65 Win User

You could try using Macrium Reflect free version, to clone and also to make complete image backups. It can handle your UEFI just fine.
    I would 1st make a Complete Image Backup of your OS 1st, before doing anything else. Keep the image on a 2nd drive. Also if you do install Macrium, make the rescue USB/DVD disk. and keep that incase of any future problems with booting into your Windows.
    My Computer is also UEFI and I only have 4 partitions. Windows made them in my case, as I did a clean install.

Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

OldMike65, Mar 2, 2016
  5. otisdog Win User
    otisdog, Mar 2, 2016
  6. Sisrace Win User
    I checked into CMD (diskpart) to see if the disk was misaligned, after writing list partitions it said "Partition 1, Primary, 221GB, Offset: 11GB
    I downloaded the MiniTool Partition Wizard. (the only one i found that didnt make my brain crumble) and when i chose align all partitions it told me that everything was perfectly aligned! (this disk is using the MBR system too). So should i trust it? I dont know?

Edit: Ah! The EZ GIG IV software does 4K alignment automatically *Biggrin

Sisrace, Mar 2, 2016
  7. Sisrace Win User
    I backed up my stuff on my backup drive *Smile
    I am in the middle of running the Macrium Reflect software and cloning the disk. It seems to be working fine!
    I also ticked the option to copy litterarly all sectors, and not the intelligent version. Believe that this might be a bit more guaranteed to work? And the SSD's are basically identical, the only difference is the dubble size.

Edit: Well, The clone worked fine i think, but since i made a sector copy (because i wanted no problems) I now saw that this resulted in a exactly identical amount of usable space, and a 200+GB unallocated space, which i cannot merge into the "primary" storage partition.. So well. I'm running the clone again, and this time with the standard settings

2nd Edit: After running the clone with the standard settings, i still have a huge 255GB partition of unallocated space..

Sisrace, Mar 2, 2016
  8. WHS
    whs Win User

9. NavyLCDR New Member
    That's what a sector by sector clone would give you. You only had 250GB of sectors on the old SSD to copy. I would suggest you now use MiniTool Partition Wizard to add the 255GB of free space to the C: drive partition.

NavyLCDR, Mar 2, 2016
  10. Sisrace Win User
    I did this *Smile, I'm writing this from my computer running the SSD now and everything works perfectly! Thanks for the help! I will come back if my Laptop starts to refuse to work, but for now, this thread is solved *Biggrin

Sisrace, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. (GPT) SSD to SSD cloning & Confused about alignment etc.. - Similar Threads - GPT SSD SSD

2. How to clone ssd to a larger ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to clone ssd to a larger ssd: I am trying to clone my OS and everything on my current ssd to a new ssd, but the software I tried using minitool wizard partition kept trying to get me to upgrade to a pro version even though I had a trial of it....
  3. How to clone ssd to a larger ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to clone ssd to a larger ssd: I am trying to clone my OS and everything on my current ssd to a new ssd, but the software I tried using minitool wizard partition kept trying to get me to upgrade to a pro version even though I had a trial of it....
  4. SSD to SSD clone, cloned SSD has poor performance

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD to SSD clone, cloned SSD has poor performance: Hi all, Cloned the OEM drive in an HP Elitebook 850 G5 yesterday, to a Kingston A2000. I used Clonezilla, everything went off without a hitch. The reason for this was because I needed more space; 250GB to 500. Throw the new drive in, boot up, and the thing is quite slow....
  5. Clone SSD to bigger SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clone SSD to bigger SSD: Been trying to get my new 480 gig Sandisk to take a direct clone from my old Sandisk 128 gig SSD and all the programs I've tried keep assigning separate drive letters to each partition and then the bigger SSD wont even boot right. It boots to a blank 10 blue screen with two...
  6. Clone ssd

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone ssd: Hi all if I want to install a 500gb ssd can I clone my 120 ssd to it. Its not my c drive its the g drive I just need more room for games I will be giving the old ssd to my son to make a boot drive 67592
  7. SSD cloned ..?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD cloned ..?: Hi All I just cloned the new SSD from 128GB to 256GB And the main partition is not quite exactly the same I don't have the star screw driver to replace it yet .. so I don't know if it works or not Any advice Thanks [img] 21028
  8. My adventures with SSD alignment

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My adventures with SSD alignment: I have just purchased a crucial Ssd 500gb. I copied the old boot drive with a triple boot of XP, win 10 x86 and win 10 x64. While googling SSD I came across an article on alignment, so I used aomei partition tool to re-align the xp and 32 bit partitions but discovered the x64...
  9. SSD Clone to SSD

SSD Clone to SSD: Hey, I am cloning several computers for work with the exact same hardware. I have a working computer with a SSD and HDD. When I clone the SSD and start up the same computer with the SSD switched windows will not load and it gives me the standard missing required files to...
  10. Cloning to SSD

Cloning to SSD: First question here on 10 forum but used 7 forum lots. Anyway I am trying to clone the HDD? reduced partion to 450GB so as to be less than theSSD on my laptop. Trying to clone to a Samsung EVO 850 500GB. I have used the Samsung migration software and a version of EaseUS both...