Windows 10: GPT vs MBR

Discus and support GPT vs MBR in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; ok, talking to myself....later Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by OldMike65, Sep 17, 2015.

1. OldMike65 Win User

GPT vs MBR

ok, talking to myself....later

OldMike65, Sep 23, 2015
  2. topgundcp Win User

To allow you to quickly boot up into the recovery environment for rapair/diagnostic by:
    • Win+R->Power->Restart with the SHIFT Key held down
    • From Admin command prompt, run: shutdown /r /o /t 0
    It is your PC, you do what you want with it but Windows created it for a reason so I just keep mine the way Windows set up for and who knows what else you'll break by doing that. Saving a GB or 2 should not be a reason to delete those because during a Windows session, a lot of GB's might be created for tmp files, cache etc...

You should have a little patience waiting for an answer, lots of us don't type as fast as you do. And you've already broken the recovery environment so not everything is working

topgundcp, Sep 23, 2015
  3. OldMike65 Win User
    Those are pretty good reasons, IF that is a users only way to TRY an recover. But if a user does image backups, and keeps them. The image backup is MUCH better to restoring the users system back to original, without having to reinstall the whole OS. Plus from past experience with some of windows features, I don't trust a few of them anyhow. Like having TWO restore partitions on the C-drive does not make sense. If windows installed correctly, should have made only 1 restore partition, OR added to or deleted the older recovery partition, thus, not making two. Just my thoughts.
    On another note, IF I messed up my C-drive partitions, wouldn't windows NOT boot up????

OldMike65, Sep 23, 2015
  4. OldMike65 Win User

GPT vs MBR

Ok topgundcp, I will admit that the recovery partition is not working, cause I deleted it. But, I don't see what I broke to be able to run windows 10. Windows 10 does not need a recovery partition in order to run.....its an added feature. *Smile

OldMike65, Sep 23, 2015
  5. OldMike65 Win User
    Ok just for giggles sake, IF I would put ONE of those recovery partitions back......AND I CAN.......which one, 1st recovery partition that was almost a gig, OR the last one listed, that was 450megs???? *Smile

OldMike65, Sep 23, 2015
  6. Word Man Win User
    OldMike - check this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micros...rved_Partition

This is not intended as a high school or college paper reference, I know they're not allowed to cite Wikipedia. BUT, you never know, you may get something out of it - especially if you follow the Reference links at the bottom of the article.

I've tried to explain this before but I don't appear to have the cred to carry the message.

If your system works the way you like it to and you've got a robust imaging system, I think you're OK to keep on going as is for time being until you figure out for yourself why it needs to be different.

HOWEVER, by "robust imaging system", particularly with the word "robust", I mean you've taken the leap and actually done full disk image restores, know for a fact that they work, and that your full (and/or differential-incremental) disk image schedule and organization is redundant.

P.S. - if you have Macrium Reflect (free or paid, no matter), make a full disk image, then browse the image in Macrium (mount any of those partitions as a drive) and use File Explorer to look at all the files on each partition. You and google can figure out what you're looking at most likely - I know it worked for me - and you'll be able to sort out what you think is fluff and what is not.

Word Man, Sep 23, 2015
  7. OldMike65 Win User
    1st, thanks for the interest and reply. Now lets get into this. I make Complete image backups, have had to restore my OS MANY times in the past, using my image backups. They WORK better than anything Microsoft has. (In my opinion) So yes I know my image backups work. Acronis is what I use. Also tried Macrium Reflect, made an image backup using Reflect, took about 5 mins just to boot the dvd, then once I finally got their, took about 15 mins for a complete image of my C-drive. Acronis, which I have used for years, going back to 2006 anyhow, boots quicker on my dvd, does a complete image in less than 7 mins, restores in about 6 mins. It just works VERY well for me.

OldMike65, Sep 23, 2015
  8. Word Man Win User

GPT vs MBR

That's a plus for you. I was in Acronis some years back but felt they went the bloat route and got tired of the major upgrades. But there's alot to be said for sticking with what you feel is most reliable for YOU.

Myself, after Acronis, turned to Terabyte Software's Image for Windows/DOS/Linux and then, in past year, Macrium Reflect. I now use both (remember, REDUNDANT) and have, among many others I've tried (that aren't god-awful expensive), found those two to be extremely reliable - and hear the same from many others "out there".

Terabyte is more complex that some folks like in its options but works great at default settings. Macrium's scheduling features intimidate some but, again, the defaults can serve one well, especially the Grandfather-Father-Son schedule template among the ones they provide to use as is or modify at will.

Word Man, Sep 23, 2015
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    Macrium didn't intimate me, it pissed me off for running so slow. plus the price tag if you want to buy it for home use is 69.99. I know about the free version, its installed right now, along with the boot disk I made. I don't like programs that run at a snails pace, or ask too high a price for their software, which, is not as good as my Acronis,which is faster, does the exact same thing, and is ALOT cheaper for the user to buy. Updates have only cost me about 29.00, last update 15 to 16 was free.

OldMike65, Sep 23, 2015
  10. Word Man Win User
    That's fine. You're not a horse I'll force to drink and I'd rather hand you a fishing pole than a silver platter piled with fish that you won't eat. But we're getting off the point of the thread, aren't we?

Word Man, Sep 23, 2015
  11. OldMike65 Win User
    Again, if I have messed up my C-drive, then I will go back to the way it was this morning, and then, see what else I can do to make it acceptable for me, AND you guys, WHICH I RESPECT YOUR opinions VERY MUCH!!!! Hell I just might do it, to keep you guys happy. and prove that I CAN go back of course. *Smile

OldMike65, Sep 23, 2015
  12. OldMike65 Win User
    Yes we are a little....not much thou. but nobody is giving my good reasons to change my c-drive partitions??? THAT is what I want, using the "recovery is needed" line, is just not sitting right with me. Even if you ask a Microsoft tech, they will tell you that its NOT needed, but you should have one......that doesn't sit right with me either. But, I am worried about that 128 meg partition that is unallocated, because its the MSR partition, and should not be unallocated. So I just might have messed that one up!

OldMike65, Sep 23, 2015
  13. Word Man Win User

GPT vs MBR

If I get done setting up and straightening out machines of others in my family, then I may join you in playing with my own system - for now I'll stick with my GPT based 3 partitions + 16 MB MSR as they are and fiddle with and learn about Windows recovery/reset options - all but the OS are only taking up a tenth of a % of my total disk space.

Word Man, Sep 23, 2015
  14. Word Man Win User
    Read more about MSR - BY DEFINITION it is intially unallocated, period.

Also, check for your MSR by looking at your disk in Windows Disk Management - it doesn't even show up - because Microsoft didn't care enough to catch Disk Management up entirely to displaying everything on a GPT disk. Yes, diskpart will list it but you can't really manipulate it - it is there to protect us consumers from our own stupidity (impression I get from MS).

Word Man, Sep 23, 2015
  15. OldMike65 Win User
    yeah good point, but windows disk management reports it as 128 mb raw Healthy partition, before I made my changes windows didn't report to me that it was RAW under "file system" Soooo I may have made a mistake. Hard to believe I know. *Smile

OldMike65, Sep 23, 2015
Thema:

GPT vs MBR

1. GPT vs MBR - Similar Threads - GPT MBR

2. If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is Use to Fix MBR Filesystems, What's the Parameter for GPT...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is Use to Fix MBR Filesystems, What's the Parameter for GPT...: Hi Microsoft friends.If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is use to fix MBR filesystems, what's the parameter for GPT filesystems? is it /fixgpt?Also, which part of this article fixes the Windows Recovery wherein you can boot to Windows PE, right now when I hold Shift + Restart, it doesn't...
  3. If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is Use to Fix MBR Filesystems, What's the Parameter for GPT...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is Use to Fix MBR Filesystems, What's the Parameter for GPT...: Hi Microsoft friends.If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is use to fix MBR filesystems, what's the parameter for GPT filesystems? is it /fixgpt?Also, which part of this article fixes the Windows Recovery wherein you can boot to Windows PE, right now when I hold Shift + Restart, it doesn't...
  4. MBR to GPT; 25GB Factory Recovery partition for windows; ASUS laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MBR to GPT; 25GB Factory Recovery partition for windows; ASUS laptop: I have an ASUS laptop with a 25GB factory recovery partition of 64bit windows on MBR disk drive. Since this partition contains the image of windows 64bit which should support UEFI and GPT, will I be able to use this partition for factory recovery if I convert my drive from...
  5. MBR to GPT; 25GB Factory Recovery partition for windows; ASUS laptop

MBR to GPT; 25GB Factory Recovery partition for windows; ASUS laptop: I have an ASUS laptop with a 25GB factory recovery partition of 64bit windows on MBR disk drive. Since this partition contains the image of windows 64bit which should support UEFI and GPT, will I be able to use this partition for factory recovery if I convert my drive from...
  6. I'm trying to convert my c drive from MBR to GPT so I can install windows 11 but every time...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm trying to convert my c drive from MBR to GPT so I can install windows 11 but every time...: I've included a disk management screenshot because I think its probably something to do with that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-trying-to-convert-my-c-drive-from-mbr-to-gpt-so/bf690e99-8380-4279-bbc1-57e39f8522a4
  7. I'm trying to convert my c drive from MBR to GPT so I can install windows 11 but every time...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I'm trying to convert my c drive from MBR to GPT so I can install windows 11 but every time...: I've included a disk management screenshot because I think its probably something to do with that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-trying-to-convert-my-c-drive-from-mbr-to-gpt-so/bf690e99-8380-4279-bbc1-57e39f8522a4
  8. I'm trying to convert my c drive from MBR to GPT so I can install windows 11 but every time...

9. MBR to GPT not working HELP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MBR to GPT not working HELP: im trying to install Windows 11 and first i need to change my disk to GPT but it isnt working im just getting this error message over and over again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mbr-to-gpt-not-working-help/dbc15c02-683a-4a91-a1df-92dd7dc6c686
  10. MBR to GPT not working HELP

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MBR to GPT not working HELP: im trying to install Windows 11 and first i need to change my disk to GPT but it isnt working im just getting this error message over and over again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mbr-to-gpt-not-working-help/dbc15c02-683a-4a91-a1df-92dd7dc6c686