Windows 10: GPT vs MBR

Discus and support GPT vs MBR in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Also disk management reports that my 383 mb EFI system partition is 100% Free, think that means its empty. Not good. *Smile If that's the case, then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by OldMike65, Sep 17, 2015.

1. OldMike65 Win User

GPT vs MBR

Also disk management reports that my 383 mb EFI system partition is 100% Free, think that means its empty. Not good. *Smile
    If that's the case, then why the heck can I boot up?? Think I am getting confused.

OldMike65, Sep 23, 2015
  2. Word Man Win User

You are, and that's how MS likes it! 100% free shown in Disk Management on that and any other non-OS partition is a lie - they didn't want you (or go the trouble for you) to have the ability in Windows to see the actual deal.

You should only believe what MiniTool reports on that. Can you browse images in Acronis also? I forget - it's been so long. I have an old Acronis Disk Director version also - it probably wouldn't work worth a flip nowadays.

Word Man, Sep 23, 2015
  3. OldMike65 Win User
    Ok guys I just did a shut down, just to see if I would have any problems booting from shut down. Took me 27 sec's to boot back up, and here I am. *Smile

OldMike65, Sep 23, 2015
  4. Word Man Win User

GPT vs MBR

I'm willing to bet it won't be the same if you delete the ESP partition (first partition on disk 1 in the MiniTool snapshot in post # 18).

Word Man, Sep 23, 2015
  5. OldMike65 Win User
    Think you mean my EFI partition, not esp......sometimes I wish I actually has ESP thou *Smile
    OK looked at my MiniTool and it reports that my EFI partition of 368MB does have 58.09 being used!!! just like you said, windows says its empty, but minitool tells me the truth. *Smile

OldMike65, Sep 23, 2015
  6. Word Man Win User
    Well, ESP is and acronym for EFI System Partition - it has your "bootstrap" in there. Unless I'm misremembering, MiniTool reports is as ESP.

I checked - ESP must have been an acronym I saw somewhere else, but if you stretch the Type column out in MinTool I think it calls it EFI System Partition.

Word Man, Sep 24, 2015
  7. OldMike65 Win User
    Nope MiniTool says its EFI system reserved partition

OldMike65, Sep 24, 2015
  8. Word Man Win User

GPT vs MBR

That's odd, since my MiniTool 9.1 reports Type as "EFI System Partition". No use splitting hairs as far as I'm concerned.

Word Man, Sep 24, 2015
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    Tried to tell you Word Man......twice.....hehehehe

OldMike65, Sep 24, 2015
  10. Word Man Win User
    All you've told me at this point is you must be running a different version of MiniTool.*sarc

Word Man, Sep 24, 2015
  11. OldMike65 Win User
    mine is version 9.1 sir!!!!!

OldMike65, Sep 24, 2015
  12. OldMike65 Win User
    GPT vs MBR [​IMG]

proof for Word Man......wow......*Tongue

OldMike65, Sep 24, 2015
  13. OldMike65 Win User

GPT vs MBR

I don't drink, but I am beginning to think I should start. *sarc

OldMike65, Sep 24, 2015
  14. Word Man Win User
    Ummm, HOW ABOUT EXPANDING THE "TYPE" COLUMN and there is the proof I seek, sir. I already had my beer with my dinner and I'll call that good enough. I only said Type column and capitalized it twice - hehehehehe.

Word Man, Sep 24, 2015
  15. OldMike65 Win User
    That type column says EFI system reserved. You can even read the 1st words in my pic. EFI <---- Ok. But just to make you happy I have seen the words ESP on someone else's screen shot that reported the ESP on the right hand side, where mine just shows a star and a dot. So you were right about the ESP displaying just not on the left hand side. Mine just don't show it, since I changed my partitions Word Man.

OldMike65, Sep 24, 2015
Thema:

GPT vs MBR

1. GPT vs MBR - Similar Threads - GPT MBR

2. converting disks to GPT from MBR to go from Legacy to UEFI. MBR2GPT does not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    converting disks to GPT from MBR to go from Legacy to UEFI. MBR2GPT does not work: HiIm trying to convert my boot disk to GPT so I could boot to UEFI rather than legacy mode.I try to go GPT but it says this on CMD:I tried to follow another guy with the same problem adding 200mb of free memory:But still it didnt work.What do I do?...
  3. converting disks to GPT from MBR to go from Legacy to UEFI. MBR2GPT does not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    converting disks to GPT from MBR to go from Legacy to UEFI. MBR2GPT does not work: HiIm trying to convert my boot disk to GPT so I could boot to UEFI rather than legacy mode.I try to go GPT but it says this on CMD:I tried to follow another guy with the same problem adding 200mb of free memory:But still it didnt work.What do I do?...
  4. converting disks to GPT from MBR to go from Legacy to UEFI. MBR2GPT does not work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is Use to Fix MBR Filesystems, What's the Parameter for GPT...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is Use to Fix MBR Filesystems, What's the Parameter for GPT...: Hi Microsoft friends.If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is use to fix MBR filesystems, what's the parameter for GPT filesystems? is it /fixgpt?Also, which part of this article fixes the Windows Recovery wherein you can boot to Windows PE, right now when I hold Shift + Restart, it doesn't...
  6. If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is Use to Fix MBR Filesystems, What's the Parameter for GPT...

If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is Use to Fix MBR Filesystems, What's the Parameter for GPT...: Hi Microsoft friends.If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is use to fix MBR filesystems, what's the parameter for GPT filesystems? is it /fixgpt?Also, which part of this article fixes the Windows Recovery wherein you can boot to Windows PE, right now when I hold Shift + Restart, it doesn't...
  7. MBR to GPT; 25GB Factory Recovery partition for windows; ASUS laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MBR to GPT; 25GB Factory Recovery partition for windows; ASUS laptop: I have an ASUS laptop with a 25GB factory recovery partition of 64bit windows on MBR disk drive. Since this partition contains the image of windows 64bit which should support UEFI and GPT, will I be able to use this partition for factory recovery if I convert my drive from...
  8. MBR to GPT; 25GB Factory Recovery partition for windows; ASUS laptop

MBR to GPT; 25GB Factory Recovery partition for windows; ASUS laptop: I have an ASUS laptop with a 25GB factory recovery partition of 64bit windows on MBR disk drive. Since this partition contains the image of windows 64bit which should support UEFI and GPT, will I be able to use this partition for factory recovery if I convert my drive from...
  9. I'm trying to convert my c drive from MBR to GPT so I can install windows 11 but every time...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm trying to convert my c drive from MBR to GPT so I can install windows 11 but every time...: I've included a disk management screenshot because I think its probably something to do with that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-trying-to-convert-my-c-drive-from-mbr-to-gpt-so/bf690e99-8380-4279-bbc1-57e39f8522a4
  10. I'm trying to convert my c drive from MBR to GPT so I can install windows 11 but every time...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I'm trying to convert my c drive from MBR to GPT so I can install windows 11 but every time...: I've included a disk management screenshot because I think its probably something to do with that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-trying-to-convert-my-c-drive-from-mbr-to-gpt-so/bf690e99-8380-4279-bbc1-57e39f8522a4