Windows 10: GPT vs MBR

Discus and support GPT vs MBR in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; That type column says EFI system reserved. You can even read the 1st words in my pic. EFI <---- Ok. But just to make you happy I have seen the words... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by OldMike65, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Word Man Win User

GPT vs MBR

OK, you don't want to show me the entire entry in the Type column where it says "GPT (EFI Sys..." - fine. When I expand the width of that column using the slider between Type & Status, my complete entry for the corresponding partition the rest of the letters are "tem Partition)". It's a silly thing to debate so you win whatever you won. I'm not interested in where someone else posted ESP or the left hand side of anything - it was only the right hand side entry under the Type column header that I was talking about. Ker-Plonk.

Word Man, Sep 24, 2015
  2. OldMike65 Win User

OK I don't really understand, what your trying to ask me?? I am not trying to be a smart *ss honest. I will expand it now and take a screen shot, but it only reports what I've already told you, but seems you think I am hiding something, which I am not. Just trying to understand the reason is all?? I'll take a pic, then be back....

OldMike65, Sep 24, 2015
  3. OldMike65 Win User
    GPT vs MBR [​IMG]

I think this is what you are asking me to show you Word Man.......not sure.....

OldMike65, Sep 24, 2015
  4. Word Man Win User

GPT vs MBR

Yeah, type is the EFI System Partition (ESP for short) of your GPT disk. Delete that and it won't boot.

Word Man, Sep 24, 2015
  5. OldMike65 Win User
    I already know that Word Man, never even thought about deleting that partition. But it does not say ESP, but like I said yesterday, on another users pic, way over on the left hand side, same line we are talking about, it DID report that it was ESP. Mine most likey used to also show that too, but after I changed, and removed the restore partitions, it also changed some of the wording that was originally displayed, why, I don't know.

OldMike65, Sep 24, 2015
  6. OldMike65 Win User
    Still thinking about doing a clean install thou, just not thrilled about having to re-install all my registered apps. I've only had this computer for about 4 days, bought it on ebay over a week ago, was originally installed with windows 8.0 then the owner upgraded this computer to Windows 10 Home. I have no use for the Home version, so I bought a license for the Pro version, then upgraded this OS to Windows Pro. But, I am thinking I need to do a clean install, because of some of the crap left on here by the original owner.

OldMike65, Sep 24, 2015
  7. Word Man Win User
    That was the volume name of that person's ESP partition. The volume name of your ESP partition is "SYSTEM", as shown in your MiniTool snap.

You're asking which partitions you really need and you've had lots of input from others, including mine. You said it booted fine after you deleted the first 1GB recovery partition and I simply followed by saying it won't boot if you take out the ESP - more input as to which partitions are necessary - I'm assuming YOU consider the ability to boot as NECESSARY.

A clean install is a good thing. You will get 3 partitions (including that pesky ESP partition) and an unallocated MSR along with it though, assuming you stick with structuring your disk as GPT.

Word Man, Sep 24, 2015
  8. OldMike65 Win User

GPT vs MBR

well I just tried a clean install, on my new computer, it asked for my key code, which I entered. This is not a free upgrade type of install, because this system was windows 10 home, now its Pro. Everything seemed to install ok, lost all my installed apps.but never did any changes to my partitions. Their just as I had before.??? So I did something wrong.....

OldMike65, Sep 24, 2015
  9. Word Man Win User
    See Steps 10 & 13 in Brink's Tutorial here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html

That's where you can blow away all existing partitions and get a start from scratch install of the partitions that Microsoft thinks you "NEED" (your opinion of what YOU need will no doubt be different). The old partitions will be gone.

Word Man, Sep 24, 2015
  10. OldMike65 Win User
    neversaw that screen after I choose custom install?? where you can pick bios etc.....???

OldMike65, Sep 24, 2015
  11. Word Man Win User
    Right - if you want to stick with MBR and not UEFI/GPT scheme (assuming your machine allows either) then go Step 12 instead of 13 - here Brink says if you format the entire disk ahead of time, you will NOT end up with any other partition(s).

Word Man, Sep 24, 2015
  12. OldMike65 Win User
    Ok Word Man on my 2nd try, I found where I can delete the partitions, windows was highlighting only my main drive, and I didn't try to change anything. 2nd try I looked a lot closer at my options, moved up to the other partitions, deleted, them 1 by 1 then hit enter, thought windows would ask which format to use, didn't?? so I stopped installation, windows went back to the original setup screen, I started the install all over again, this time it showed me the new partitions it made, so I am letting it go thru with this install.......didn't see a choice for choosing MBR or GPT, but this computer defaults to GPT anyhow. this is my old computer I am on right now. New one is going thur the install, 3rd try....*Smile

OldMike65, Sep 24, 2015
  13. OldMike65 Win User

GPT vs MBR

One of the things the installation does, is make my personal folders, using a VERY short version of my name, which is a pain in the butt to rename the user dir's to the name I want....Michael....oh well

OldMike65, Sep 24, 2015
  14. Word Man Win User
    Wouldn't make sense to ask which format if the partition is simply being deleted (i.e., NTFS versus FAT32). MBR/GPT are not partition/volume formats but boot disk structures. The "option" of GPT vs. MBR would come as a result of how you tweak settings in your BIOS, i.e., if you go in BIOS and disable secure boot and select Legacy BIOS boot instead of UEFI, I'm fairly sure wiping all your disk partitions during clean install will result in an MBR structured disk - perhaps another forum member can confirm that (NavyLCDR?).

Did you make the account a Microsoft Account (with email address) or a strictly local account? I also got the 5-letter user folder using a Microsoft Account.

Word Man, Sep 24, 2015
  15. OldMike65 Win User
    That's ok Word man I want UEFI, and this computer defaults to UEFI, unless I change it in bios, like u said. its downloading updates right now....havn't looked at the boot drive format yet. I'm letting windows do its thing right now.

OldMike65, Sep 24, 2015
Thema:

GPT vs MBR

1. GPT vs MBR - Similar Threads - GPT MBR

2. converting disks to GPT from MBR to go from Legacy to UEFI. MBR2GPT does not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    converting disks to GPT from MBR to go from Legacy to UEFI. MBR2GPT does not work: HiIm trying to convert my boot disk to GPT so I could boot to UEFI rather than legacy mode.I try to go GPT but it says this on CMD:I tried to follow another guy with the same problem adding 200mb of free memory:But still it didnt work.What do I do?...
  3. converting disks to GPT from MBR to go from Legacy to UEFI. MBR2GPT does not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    converting disks to GPT from MBR to go from Legacy to UEFI. MBR2GPT does not work: HiIm trying to convert my boot disk to GPT so I could boot to UEFI rather than legacy mode.I try to go GPT but it says this on CMD:I tried to follow another guy with the same problem adding 200mb of free memory:But still it didnt work.What do I do?...
  4. converting disks to GPT from MBR to go from Legacy to UEFI. MBR2GPT does not work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is Use to Fix MBR Filesystems, What's the Parameter for GPT...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is Use to Fix MBR Filesystems, What's the Parameter for GPT...: Hi Microsoft friends.If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is use to fix MBR filesystems, what's the parameter for GPT filesystems? is it /fixgpt?Also, which part of this article fixes the Windows Recovery wherein you can boot to Windows PE, right now when I hold Shift + Restart, it doesn't...
  6. If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is Use to Fix MBR Filesystems, What's the Parameter for GPT...

If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is Use to Fix MBR Filesystems, What's the Parameter for GPT...: Hi Microsoft friends.If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is use to fix MBR filesystems, what's the parameter for GPT filesystems? is it /fixgpt?Also, which part of this article fixes the Windows Recovery wherein you can boot to Windows PE, right now when I hold Shift + Restart, it doesn't...
  7. MBR to GPT; 25GB Factory Recovery partition for windows; ASUS laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MBR to GPT; 25GB Factory Recovery partition for windows; ASUS laptop: I have an ASUS laptop with a 25GB factory recovery partition of 64bit windows on MBR disk drive. Since this partition contains the image of windows 64bit which should support UEFI and GPT, will I be able to use this partition for factory recovery if I convert my drive from...
  8. MBR to GPT; 25GB Factory Recovery partition for windows; ASUS laptop

MBR to GPT; 25GB Factory Recovery partition for windows; ASUS laptop: I have an ASUS laptop with a 25GB factory recovery partition of 64bit windows on MBR disk drive. Since this partition contains the image of windows 64bit which should support UEFI and GPT, will I be able to use this partition for factory recovery if I convert my drive from...
  9. I'm trying to convert my c drive from MBR to GPT so I can install windows 11 but every time...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm trying to convert my c drive from MBR to GPT so I can install windows 11 but every time...: I've included a disk management screenshot because I think its probably something to do with that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-trying-to-convert-my-c-drive-from-mbr-to-gpt-so/bf690e99-8380-4279-bbc1-57e39f8522a4
  10. I'm trying to convert my c drive from MBR to GPT so I can install windows 11 but every time...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I'm trying to convert my c drive from MBR to GPT so I can install windows 11 but every time...: I've included a disk management screenshot because I think its probably something to do with that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-trying-to-convert-my-c-drive-from-mbr-to-gpt-so/bf690e99-8380-4279-bbc1-57e39f8522a4