Windows 10: GPU Advice needed

Discus and support GPU Advice needed in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Fellow Forumites: My dual 27" full HD (1980x1200) Dell monitors are now ten years old. They still work OK, but I'm thinking it's time to replace them.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by EdTittel, Dec 27, 2016.

1. EdTittel Win User

GPU Advice needed

Fellow Forumites:
    My dual 27" full HD (1980x1200) Dell monitors are now ten years old. They still work OK, but I'm thinking it's time to replace them. Can anybody tell me what kind of GPU(s) and cables I'll need to replace them with a pair of 34" monitors instead? (Find them online at Dell UltraSharp 34 Curved Ultrawide Monitor - U3415W | Dell) Can I drive both from a single graphics card (each is 3440x1440 in resolution)? Will a single graphics card support two dual cables, one for each monitor? Should I use HDMI or DisplayPort as my link-up? I've never had to think about driving so many pixels before, and I'm not sure I understand all the ins and outs. Perhaps I do need two GPUs. If so, can I run them independently without having to use SLI?
    Please help me find my way into the world of dual high-res monitors, and the graphics card(s) that drive them.
    Thanks in advance for your information and suggestions.
    --Ed--

:)

EdTittel, Dec 27, 2016

2. advices needed

I use the Nokia Lumia 620, I was made to understand that the windows 10 won't download for my device, so I m thinking to use the windows insider like that at least until I am able to get a new phone. While I was try to do the download with the insider,
    warnings were made. So I am asking those who had downloaded the insider before, did such warnings happen to your devices and if it is safe to go ahead to install

IzukaIgbosuah, Dec 27, 2016
  3. liquidcat Win User
    Need advice

Does 5800 phones have a working email app? Nokia's email application does not work properly, the data connection never goes off and it drains power. The other ones I have tried are just too lame (mobidocuments etc.).

liquidcat, Dec 27, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

GPU Advice needed

I was just curiously reading and would ask about "two dual cables". Isn't that kinda redundant? There are dual/Y cables available for running 2 monitors from the same socket on the video adapter. Or maybe I'm missing something? If I were building a computer for using dual monitors I'd get a video card with 2 DVI ports and use DVI cables. The bigger monitors seem to have more choices, early this year I was given a 27" ACER monitor that has 4 inputs, DisplayPort, VGA, DVI and HDMI [lady was moving a couple thousand miles away and didn't want to ship it].

Berton, Dec 27, 2016
  5. EdTittel Win User
    Thanks Berton: a single-link DVI connector can handle 1920x1200, so a dual-link is 2560x1600. These monitors are 3440x1440 so even a single dual-link DVI cable won't cut it for even one of them. Now we're making progress, because I now understand that I must use either HDMI or DisplayPort. According to this story I just found: http://www.digitaltrends.com/buying-...ayport-vs-vga/, HDMI 2.0 can handle up to 3820x2160 so one each HDMI should work. Even more progress? DisplayPort is just about the same: 3840x2160. So it looks like I can go with a single HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort cable per monitor. That's what I needed to know, so thanks a bunch!
    An Nvidia 1080 graphics card offers max resolution of 7680x4320@60Hz. Let's do some math: the Dells are 3440x2160 so if we double the width, we get 6880. Height stays the same, so yep, I can drive both of them with a relatively new technology GPU. Cool!
    Thanks again!
    --Ed--

PS: most configurations of the 1080 have 1 HDMI 2.0b, 1 dual-link DVI and 3 DisplayPort connectors on the back. Looks like I'd need to use 2xDisplayPort for the 2 monitors to get the best overall experience. According to what I read on the Nvidia site, DisplayPort will even ferry audio, so I can use the built-in speakers on those monitors if I am so inclined.

EdTittel, Dec 27, 2016
  6. Dude Win User
    Yes, displayport is the way to go

7. bobkn Win User
    I have a single UHD (3840X2160) monitor. I use a DisplayPort connection because, at the time I bought the monitor, it was the only standard that supported UHD at 60 Hz.

HDMI 2.0 added UHD support at 60 Hz. HDMI 2.0a adds HDR (10 bits per color). I'm curious about HDMI 2.0b claims: in the TV universe, I think that's for dynamic HDR metadata. As far as I know, no monitors exist that use that.

I think I'd stay with DP if only because it's specific to monitors (rather than TVs). My only dislike for DP is that the connections don't seem all that robust. I guess I miss the VGA and DVI connectors with tie-down screws.

bobkn, Dec 28, 2016
  8. GPU Advice needed

With your i6700 CPu & GTX 750 Ti the bottlenecker web site says you GPU is 50% too weak for your CPU, when you buy a new GPU use the chart guide to keep the bottleneck in the green percentage for best efficiency of your system.

GPU Advice needed [​IMG]

The theory has suggested a GTX 780

RoadBlaster, Dec 29, 2016
  9. SoFine409 Win User
    Hi Ed, I have a single Dell 34" monitor and I use the display port connector. I'm very satisfied with it. I cannot imagine having two of these on my desktop. I think that you should be able to daisy chain two of the monitors together with display port. You'll definite need to be sure that you graphics card can pump out enough pixels for two of these monsters. There is an well known issue with the sound setup but that can be addressed with the setup on the monitor control panel.
    Bob

SoFine409, Dec 29, 2016
  10. EdTittel Win User
    Thanks to all for their suggestions so far. I was planning to try daisy chaining, so thanks Bob for that affirmation.
    Best,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 1, 2017
  11. Hi Ed, it's me again !

I just did a re-think for your system & thought of the following:

Use 2 X 1050Ti's with your i7 6700(K)??? or is it a different model

These will work great with your setup, you will get the resolution you want & you will save money ?

Regards

RB

RoadBlaster, Jan 3, 2017
  12. EdTittel Win User
    Good suggestion RB: I'm not a gamer anyway, so high performance is not an issue for me. I've never felt hampered by my 750Ti with the twin Dell 2707WFPs I've got right now. Thanks!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 3, 2017
  13. GPU Advice needed

RoadBlaster, Jan 4, 2017
  14. EdTittel Win User
    Thanks, RoadBlaster. I'll have to check into this. Much-appreciated!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

GPU Advice needed

1. GPU Advice needed - Similar Threads - GPU Advice needed

2. Need an urgent advice,.?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need an urgent advice,.?: Just open My PC with wins 10 _ and on the lowerright corner, where appears the "Notifications" Show this..I'm referring to the last icon. Which is the copilot icon.. when I hovered the mouse on it. Say - Copilot Preview never showed before. on the notifications area. Do am I...
  3. Need urgent advice,.?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Need urgent advice,.?: Just open My PC with wins 10 _ and on the lowerright corner, where appears the "Notifications" Show this..I'm referring to the last icon. Which is the copilot icon.. when I hovered the mouse on it. Say - Copilot Preview never showed before. on the notifications area. Do am I...
  4. Need urgent advice,.?

Need urgent advice,.?: Just open My PC with wins 10 _ and on the lowerright corner, where appears the "Notifications" Show this..I'm referring to the last icon. Which is the copilot icon.. when I hovered the mouse on it. Say - Copilot Preview never showed before. on the notifications area. Do am I...
  5. Purchase Advice Needed

Purchase Advice Needed: I was so disheartened when my computer was seriously corrupted during a Windows 10 update. With the help I received here everything is okay now.But my laptop is ten years old Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and should be retired.Would an S-Mode offer more protection...
  6. Need advice about GPU

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Need advice about GPU: Hello, buddies! I’m thinking about upgrading my 3080Ti to 4080. If we talk about performance, is it worth it? Is it true that it is 30% more powerful? However is 30% huge? I have 1440 display 165hz. RTX 3080Ti is no longer high-end GPU and I think it’s a weak GPU for 1440p....
  7. Need networking advice

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need networking advice: I am trying to transfer files from my laptop (Windows 10 x64, ver 1909) to my desktop (Win 10 x64 ver 20H2. I have a lot of options, but can't seem to get any to work: 1) Google Drive--I appear to have two Google Drives, one talking to my phone and laptop, the other to my...
  8. In need of expert advice

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    In need of expert advice: So I have a Lenovo Ideapad 3.. laptop has been great until today. I loaded up my laptop like usual, logged in, immediately got a "something went wrong, we need to reatart" blue screen, then after a few seconds the screen went black and nothing's working. Literally nothing, no...
  9. Need recovery advice

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Need recovery advice: Back in May of this year, I posted about a problem I was having at that time. Here's the original post: Laptop seems to be in Recovery mode - what now? I got some suggestions but was busy with other things so I simply didn't touch the laptop again for a while. Yesterday, I...
  10. Help and or advice needed

in Windows 10 Support
    Help and or advice needed: I am running Windows 10. I currently attach a hdmi cable from laptop to tv. Is it possible to stream one thing from laptop onto tv screen and simultaneously surf the net using laptop monitor? Thanks 39170