Windows 10: Graphical Issues On Start Up

Discus and support Graphical Issues On Start Up in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi guys. I have a feeling my GPU is dead but thought i'd double check all bases. My GPU was working fine last night and has been for about 2 years or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by AntJac, Oct 20, 2016.

1. AntJac Win User

Graphical Issues On Start Up

Hi guys. I have a feeling my GPU is dead but thought i'd double check all bases. My GPU was working fine last night and has been for about 2 years or so now. This morning when i turned my PC on, i noticed i saw random artifacts on the screen and, when it got to Windows login, i noticed vertical red lines on the middle of the screen. I reset my PC and switched to onboard graphics and uninstalled my AMD driver and installed the latest.

When i switched back to the AMD GPU, i was browsing normally and all of a sudden my screen changed to like a black and white static page which i couldn't click out of. I'm currently using my Intel integrated graphics which there is no issue with.

Is my GPU dead? Its a AMD HD 7970 Lightning.

Many thanks for any help
    Anthony

:)

AntJac, Oct 20, 2016

2. enlarged graphics upon start up.

I turned on my computer and all the graphics are HUGE! How do I get it back to normal?

TamaraPayne, Oct 20, 2016
  3. enlarged graphics upon start up.

Option 1.Try Rolling back if you have an option:

See DaveM and posts:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Option 2. Remove AMD drivers completely and Install the legacy ones from the AMD site:

What you need to do:

1. Uninstall everything of AMD using this:
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/...
    and reboot

2. Reboot.

3. Make sure your device manager shows Microsoft Basic Display adapter.

4. Download the legacy driver from here(You might have to do a bit of exercise to locate the driver:

http://www.support.amd.com/en-us/download

5.Run the Setup and you should be good to go.

Option 3: See if Windows itself has some history of the Older Driver:

Solution by Ken-C here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Please note all the steps need temporarily disabling of Windows update or driver updates so that newer driver doesn't install automatically.

----------

Why did this happen?

http://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2017/11/is-your...

Sumit Dhiman2, Oct 20, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

That's exactly what happens when GPU memory (VRAM) goes bad. Try underclocking it and see if that helps.

CountMike, Oct 21, 2016
  5. AntJac Win User
    Thank you so much for the reply. Please can you let me know how I do this? It's an AMD Radeon HD 7970

AntJac, Oct 21, 2016
  6. CountMike New Member
    CountMike, Oct 21, 2016
  7. AntJac Win User
    Thank you very much. I've never used that before I thought I'd just have to go on the Radeon settings.

It just happened randomly though as Thursday everything was working fine. Can VRAM just go like that?

AntJac, Oct 21, 2016
  8. CountMike New Member

Yes, it can play tricks on you if there is cold solder joint somewhere and it does happen from time to time. Just about only fix is reballing it with special equipment but there were some successes with baking it in the oven.

CountMike, Oct 21, 2016
  9. AntJac Win User
    AntJac, Oct 21, 2016
  10. CountMike New Member
    CountMike, Oct 21, 2016
  11. AntJac Win User
    Wow so they are known to go like that? I have emailed AMD to see what they say/hopefully get it fixed. Sorry again for the question Mike but would you just go down by 5 on the memory or 10?

AntJac, Oct 21, 2016
  12. CountMike New Member
    Try with least possible first. Those cards also tend to run hot so good cooling may prevent stuff like that from happening.

CountMike, Oct 21, 2016
  13. AntJac Win User

I noticed the first graphical error on start up as it entered the Windows login page (where it does the circles etc).There was red vertical banding and that was just a minute or so after i started my PC. I havent had any issues in the 2 years ive had the card and my system hasnt changed at all.

Many thanks for the advice though. I will let you know how i get on!

AntJac, Oct 21, 2016
  14. Any time that has happened to me, it only got worse over time, not better. The card likely overheated. Is the fan running nice and quite? Heat sink clean with no dust bunnies?

alphanumeric, Oct 22, 2016
  15. AntJac Win User
    Seems to be free of dust but I did clean it properly after it did it the first time (did do it after though).

I have never touched the men clock before but I have took it down to around 900 from 1300 and had no issues so far. My case has 8 fans I think and 3 under the GPU itself so I don't think it was overheating plus i noticed graphical bands etc on the screen as soon as I started up when it happened just before it went to the windows login page.

Nothing has happened since though. Possibly a glitch?

AntJac, Oct 22, 2016
Thema:

1. Graphical Issues On Start Up - Similar Threads - Graphical Issues Start

2. Start up issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start up issues: My computer is stuck in Windows didn’t start up correctly”. I’ve went thru all the steps of following troubling shooting steps of trying to repair and use system repairs but now I can’t get back to safe mode because it’s stuck fixing drive C but won’t start anymore do I need...
  3. Start-Up Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start-Up Issues: Hi,I've just bought a new computer and everything seems ok but sometimes, not every time, I put in my pin number to get into my Microsoft account and it just shows the dots moving round in a circle while it's thinking about it and then after a while it just stops and asks for...
  4. Start-Up Issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start-Up Issues: Hi,I've just bought a new computer and everything seems ok but sometimes, not every time, I put in my pin number to get into my Microsoft account and it just shows the dots moving round in a circle while it's thinking about it and then after a while it just stops and asks for...
  5. Issues with start-up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Issues with start-up: Hello,I've had this problem for a while now, everything I start my computer and put in my PIN it takes longer than expected to load up and after that I have to wait for around 10 minutes until my computer becomes fully functional, the taskbar is not working and none of the...
  6. Issues with start-up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with start-up: Hello,I've had this problem for a while now, everything I start my computer and put in my PIN it takes longer than expected to load up and after that I have to wait for around 10 minutes until my computer becomes fully functional, the taskbar is not working and none of the...
  7. start up issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    start up issue: the new wireless 850 desktop mouse is not working on the new PowerSpec computer. what is going on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-up-issue/0547af67-f661-4b8a-81d9-b81a88b52b54
  8. start up issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    start up issue: I have recently installed windows 10 to my custom computer. Everything runs fine but sometimes when I start up it get stuck at windows logo without loading, I'm forced to restart computer then it works fine. any help will be much apricated!...
  9. start up issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    start up issue: I get this message when I first boot Windows\system32\eed_ec.dll is missing which started after Windows updated https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-up-issue/441e0729-5f41-4240-b8de-a525e431557d
  10. start up issue

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    start up issue: my computer does not start the first time. However, second time it works mostly. Third time sometimes. windonws 10 hp envy i7 I run cmd; sfc/scannow, 100 % integrity I checked event viewer there are some critical errors thousands of them mostly due to app Gamelofts which...