Windows 10: Graphics card compatibility

Discus and support Graphics card compatibility in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi, I have ATI Radeon HD 4830 graphic card. I'd like to upgrade it to AMD R9 270 2GB DDR5 graphic card. Is the same slot that goes to Radeon HD 4830... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Joyous, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Joyous Win User

Graphics card compatibility

Hi,

I have ATI Radeon HD 4830 graphic card. I'd like to upgrade it to AMD R9 270 2GB DDR5 graphic card. Is the same slot that goes to Radeon HD 4830 is enough for R9 270? Do I need to upgrade Motherboard as well?

Thanks

:)

Joyous, Sep 6, 2015

2. compatibility of graphics card

HI,

It should be since it runs both Windows 7 and 8 though the latest drivers are for 8.

Check with VisionTek Support to be sure.

VisionTek Support

https://www.visiontek.com/tek-support.html

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows Experience : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Sep 6, 2015
  3. compatibility of graphics card

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I will surely assist you with this.

I would suggest you to contact the manufacturer and see if the drivers are available for Windows 10.If the drivers are not available you can run the drivers for the graphics card in compatibility mode and see if it helps.

Now, to install in Compatibility Mode, follow these steps:

a. Locate the executable file (.exe file) for the driver installation program.

b. Right-click the file, and then click Properties.

c. In the Package Name Properties dialog box, click the Compatibility tab.

d. Click to select the Run this program in compatibility mode for check box, click Windows 8 with which it is compatible with in the Run this program in compatibility mode for list, and then click OK.

e. Double-click the executable file to start the installation program.

Hope this helps.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Sep 6, 2015
  4. bobkn Win User

The card will fit in the same PCI-E X16 slot.

The 4830 is a PCI-E 2 card, while the R9 270 is PCI-E 3, but the PCI-E 3 is backwards compatible with older PCI-E standards. PCI-E 3 supports a higher data bandwidth than PCI-E 2, but the performance difference ought to be negligible on a midrange card.

The R9 270 uses a single 6 pin PCI-E auxiliary power connector, just like the 4830.

You don't list your current motherboard and CPU. You might get some gains by upgrading them, but it's not necessary just to upgrade the graphics card.

bobkn, Sep 6, 2015
  5. Joyous Win User
    My CPU is Xeon w3520 and motherboard is WX58BP. Can you show some more light?

Thanks

Joyous, Sep 6, 2015
  6. bobkn Win User
    I don't have much to add. Your board has a PCI-E X16 gen 2 graphics card slot, which is perfectly OK. The Xeon w3520 is a 2.66 GHz CPU.

That was a fairly high-end system a few years ago. I expect that the R9 270 would not be limited by the board or CPU.

bobkn, Sep 7, 2015
  7. Joyous Win User
    Thanks for the good info. One more doubt. I have 450W PSU. Does R9 270 need more? 450 WPSU will suffice?

Thanks

Joyous, Sep 8, 2015
  8. eLPuSHeR Win User

I would get a beefier psu just to be on the safe side. A good quality modular one with at least 800W.

eLPuSHeR, Sep 8, 2015
  9. When I shop for PSU's I generally look for 80+ Gold or platinum rated PSU's. The reason is that the gold and even the platinum's are more efficient and last longer as it doesn't have to work as hard to produce the power. Just because you buy a 850watt power supply doesn't mean it outputs all that power efficiently. Look at the ratings and decide for yourself.

GamerwGlasses, Sep 8, 2015
  10. bobkn Win User
    If the PSU was adequate for the 4830, it should be adequate for the R9 270. The power requirements for the two cards are roughly the same). (Both use a single 6 pin PCI-E auxiliary power connector. <150W by definition: 75 max from the PCI-E slot, 75 from the cable.) Your Xeon CPU is rated at 130W.

If I was building a system from scratch, I'd use a larger PSU. It's hard to recommend one just based on its nominal power rating. A cheap 600W PSU may not make much more useful power than a good 450W one.

bobkn, Sep 9, 2015
  11. jds63 Win User
    Bit overkill as card needs 500W or greater, +12 volt rail 28Amps or greater, so maybe 600W or 650W Plus Bronze or Gold http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages...-review,8.html

jds63, Sep 9, 2015
  12. bobkn Win User
    Where did you get the 28A requirement? I'm not questioning the number, but I rarely see such specific recommendations for a PSU. (EVGA typically gives such a number, but they only do nVidia based cards.)

Incidentally, looking at Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More - Newegg.com, expensive 450W PSUs are rated at 36 or 37A on the +12V rail.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but I'd resist the trend of spending other people's money for them. (I'm willing to waste my own.)

Of course, if Joyous's PSU dies in a shower of sparks, I'd accept no responsibility for that. (I'd expect that a PSU in a Xeon/X58 workstation system to not be a low-end one.)

bobkn, Sep 9, 2015
  13. jds63 Win User

Found information online about needing 28amps on +12 volt rail. Yes, nvidia cards always give you the amount of amps and wattage needed, rarely AMD shows you the amount of amps needed just wattage.

Fine 450W have that much amperage, as all PSU's list Amperage. But as seen on Guru3D and other places at least 500W or greater needed, even more if Crossfire 2 cards.

Spending other peoples money ?? They come here for advice and this is what we give,we do not make there decisions for them this is up to them.They as we do sometimes can also look online, even when buying at place like Newegg give you the requirements of a specific hardware.

jds63, Sep 9, 2015
  14. P/E = I for current load. Where P= Watts Max, E = Operating Voltage, I = Your load Current in Amps. Very simplistic calculation here but gives you a rough idea to plan your power supply needs.

lopedoggie, Sep 9, 2015
  15. bobkn Win User
    Yes, I noticed the 500W requirement. That sort of spec annoys me. It might make someone with a good 450W PSU nervous, even though his PSU is more than adequate to drive the system at maximum load forever. Another person with a low-end 500W PSU might be misled. Example:

Diablotek DA Series PSDA500 500W ATX Power Supply - Newegg.com

This "500W" PSU is rated at 17A on its single +12V rail. If that is the true limit of what it can supply, that's inadequate for Joyous' system if the CPU and GPU were run at maximum load.

I have no idea what sort of PSU "Joyous" has, but I'd be surprised if it was inferior to this "500 Watt" model. If it has a single rail that's good for more than the 28A you suggested, it ought to be OK. If it has multiple rails, that makes the estimate more difficult. (Simply summing the currents in the rails will be misleading.)

Can you suggest a good reference for system requirements for AMD graphics cards? I generally look at eVGA for nVidia cards, as they are obliging enough to list +12V PSU requirements.

bobkn, Sep 9, 2015
Thema:

1. Graphics card compatibility - Similar Threads - Graphics card compatibility

2. a problem with the screen and graphics card compatibility

in Windows 10 Gaming
    a problem with the screen and graphics card compatibility: hii I own a computeri5 12400f - nvidia rtx4060 - 32gb- WIN 11 23H2 and a hp 24fw monitor that I still use until now. Since I started playing games on it , I noticed screen tearing and a sudden black screen for a second in general and every time I open a program in particular...
  3. a problem with the screen and graphics card compatibility

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    a problem with the screen and graphics card compatibility: hii I own a computeri5 12400f - nvidia rtx4060 - 32gb- WIN 11 23H2 and a hp 24fw monitor that I still use until now. Since I started playing games on it , I noticed screen tearing and a sudden black screen for a second in general and every time I open a program in particular...
  4. MicroSoft Flight Simulator Graphic Card Compatibility

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MicroSoft Flight Simulator Graphic Card Compatibility: My son got a gift HP Pavillion Gaming LapTop with AMD RadeonTM Graphics Driver version: 27.20.15002.11002 Driver Date 4/23/2021 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 version 27.21.14.6280 Drive Date 6/9/2021. He also received the MS Flight Simulator Premium On DVD as a gift. Is this...
  5. Graphical card driver not compatible with this version of windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Graphical card driver not compatible with this version of windows: Hello ! Today I noticed that some of my games lunched on the cpu instead of the gpu. So I wanted to change that but I didn't got accès to the nvidia control panel. I search that problem on Google and found that the last solution (other solutions failed) is to uninstall the...
  6. Graphics card compatibly error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Graphics card compatibly error: Equipment: Alienware 17 laptop Core I7-4710MQ, 16 GB memory, Intel hd graphics 4600, GTX 860M, 250 GB SSD, 500 GB HDD, Windows 10 pro 64-bit build 18363 Fortnite was giving an error saying I needed to update my gpu driver. When I update my driver, it says it isn't compatible...
  7. PC Compatibility with NVIDIA Graphics Card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Compatibility with NVIDIA Graphics Card: Hi, I am using the following PC: [ATTACH] with the following Motherboard: [ATTACH] with 8 GB RAM and Windows 10: Professional. I want to know if my PC is compatible with any of these GPUs: Nvidia GeForce GTX 670/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 or AMD Radeon HD 7950. And if...
  8. Graphics Card not Compatible with Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Graphics Card not Compatible with Windows 10?: Hello, I have a question. I have a graphics card that is compatible with win 7, but now I have upgraded to windows 10. Can no longer detect my graphics card. Should I buy a new one or can I upgrade my GPU so it can be compatible with win 10? Does windows 10 have a driver that...
  9. Acer Motherboard Graphic Card Compatibility

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Acer Motherboard Graphic Card Compatibility: Hi I want to add a graphics card to my Acer M1930 Motheboard. I want to know what GTX series from Nvidia will fit, ignoring the size. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/acer-motherboard-graphic-card-compatibility/45479b88-50c3-4977-85e2-fed63cd48404
  10. Motherboard to Graphics card compatibility

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Motherboard to Graphics card compatibility: I have an older graphics card, GeForce 9500gt, and I would like to find out if it will be compatible to a newer motherboard, Asus A88XM-A. I have been searching for a list that would let me just compare the two, but can't find too much information for devices that are older....