Windows 10: Graphics card driver - Why did it change???

Discus and support Graphics card driver - Why did it change??? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have an HP laptop which came with an Nvidia GEFORCE graphics card. The Nvidia control panel would always tell me when there were updates... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by pewe, Dec 13, 2016.

1. pewe Win User

Graphics card driver - Why did it change???

I have an HP laptop which came with an Nvidia GEFORCE graphics card.

The Nvidia control panel would always tell me when there were updates available.
    However in the device manager I had 2 drivers reported, one for Nvidia and one for Intel.

After upgrading to Win 10 I started getting error messages flash up saying the Intel Display Driver had stopped working and had restarted.

Suddenly - a few months ago - this message stopped appearing.

Yesterday, for the first time, I had notification from the Windows update that there were updates available, and when I viewed them there were 2 for Nvidia graphics drivers.

However each time I tried to install them the installation failed. So I went to Control panel and tried to launch the Nvidia control panel to try updating using that - but clicking the icon was totally unresponsive.

My next port of call was to download the complete installation package from Nvidia and install that.
    However the install would run for a few minutes with no warnings (such as no compatible cards found) then stop with a message saying 'Installation failed'.

So my question is - does anyone have any suggestions asto why my Nvidia card has disappeared and been replace by an Intel HD Graphics 4600 (HP).

:)

2. Why did Microsoft ruin my Nvidia Graphics Driver with Windows 10 Update on my Lenovo Y510p?

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I would like to know the detail below to assist you better with the issue.

• What exactly happens when you try updating the drivers?

• Do you get any error message/code?

• Have you tried installing drivers from the manufacturer website?
    Get back to us with more information about the issue to assist you better.

Sudheendra S, Dec 13, 2016
  3. Why did Microsoft ruin my Nvidia Graphics Driver with Windows 10 Update on my Lenovo Y510p?

I am truly regretting this. I can no longer install my Nvidia graphics card driver for my Lenovo Y510p gaming laptop. I have been at this all day, going back and forth installing the "latest" drivers from Nvidia, booting and rebooting my computer to no
    avail.. I even disabled the Nvidia graphics drivers in Device Manager to end up with Windows version which does not enable the second graphics card as part of this machine. Thank you Microsoft for ruining the experience!!!

ArchYeomans, Dec 13, 2016
  4. fulo Win User

My HP m8400f Win10 1607 64 bit also received the Nvidia update. It changed my Nvidia from 342.00 to 342.01. It enabled 3d vision drivers for the 8500GT driver. Nvidia clearly states 3d vision NOT supported on the 8500GT. Had odd problems so I used the control panel to remove the 3d driver update. All returned to what was normal for me.

5. Helmut Win User
    You have dual (Optimus switchable) Graphics.
    The HD4600 is integrated with the CPU, and the Nividia Card is separate.
    Look in the Device Manager > Display adapter, it should show 2 in there, that is correct The first one will say 'Intel(R) HD graphics 4600' the second the NVIDIA one.
    On mine, a Toshiba,
    The Intel HD 4600 driver is ver 4474
    The NVIDIA GT 740M driver is ver 372.70
    It maybe different for an HP laptop.
    Both were installed via Windows 10 updates in the correct order, the Intel HD graphics has to be done first.
    If I remember correctly by the Anniversary update. You can see the Event sequence on the Events Tab for each graphics adapter.

It's not recommended to try and update/install from drivers downloaded from Nvidia, as you have found out you maybe prevented from doing so.

In your circumstances I would disconnect from the internet, and then uninstall the Nvidia drivers, disable Nvidia card.

Connect back to the internet again and go to Windows updates.
    Hope for an Intel HD graphics driver, install that then re-enable the Nvidia Card and again hope to get an Nvidia driver from Windows updates.

Another way maybe to get the relevant drivers from HP specific for your model, that's for you to look up.

Helmut, Dec 13, 2016
  6. Download the driver from HP's website. Do not use Windows Update drivers.

RoasterMen, Dec 13, 2016
  7. pewe Win User
    Strangely, after trying to install the driver downloaded from Nvidia once again - and seeing a fail response, I rebooted the laptop and the Nvidia control panel was now responsive.

The two cards now appeared in Device manager and although windows update still did not allow me to update, I was able to update the driver manually.

So all is well again - I think.

8. Graphics card driver - Why did it change???

Good to know. Update us here if any problems occur again.

RoasterMen, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Graphics card driver - Why did it change??? - Similar Threads - Graphics card driver

2. Changing graphics card?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Changing graphics card?: Desktop PC with Windows 10 pro build 20h2 19042.964,, AMD Ryzen 7 1700x, 32 gig ram, 8 core. I plan to take my old gforce graphics card out of the system and replace it with a much better GTX 1650 super. I need to know if I should uninstall the old graphics card drivers then...
  3. Changing graphics card?

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing graphics card?: Desktop PC with Windows 10 pro build 20h2 19042.964,, AMD Ryzen 7 1700x, 32 gig ram, 8 core. I plan to take my old gforce graphics card out of the system and replace it with a much better GTX 1650 super. I need to know if I should uninstall the old graphics card drivers then...
  4. graphics card drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    graphics card drivers: after upgrading to windows 10 my computer says it has no drivers for my graphics card.It is not a clean install only an upgrade and the card worked before. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/graphics-card-drivers/abf546cf-45d7-4508-90c8-e3c5f00d6543
  5. Graphics card drivers

Graphics card drivers: I want to install an update to my graphics card on my HP P6-2018uk so I can update my MS Office to 365 but I cannot find a way to do this. Intel are no help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/graphics-card-drivers/ce42049f-ebdb-4072-bef4-d8a298b28a2d
  6. Update Graphics Card driver

in Windows 10 Support
    Update Graphics Card driver: Hello,My Graphics card is Nvidia GT710.Occasionally I update its driver.Several times ago I updated the driver by running the .exe file and selecting only the graphics driver, nothing else.It left a large folder "Installer2" (about 530 MB) in the program files folder,...
  7. Graphic Card Drivers

Graphic Card Drivers: Following various Windows 10 updates and with the last update 1809 I am having problems due to the fact that the Graphic Card drivers are not compatible with a video editing program. My Graphics Card is INTEL HD 530 and after the 1809 update it changed the driver to...
  8. Graphic card Driver

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Graphic card Driver: Windows10 ; 64Bit Installed a Nvidia Graphic card in my Desktop PC. Install went fine; had been using Onboard Graphic card; New Graphic Card is a PCI Card. On 1st Bootup I checked Device Mgr and it showed a Windows driver. I than clicked Update Driver....and a new Driver...
  9. Graphics card driver

Graphics card driver: I have recently gotten a new graphics card (Sapphire pulse RX570 8GB) for my computer. when I plugged the graphics card in and started my computer I downloaded the driver from the driver disc and restarted my computer. when I checked the device manager and checked the...
  10. change of graphics card

change of graphics card: A couple of weeks ago I found that I required a passively cooled graphics card for another pc . This pc had an Nvidia 610 which filled the bill. I uninstalled the drivers and fitted my spare Radeon 5670. I installed the 5670 drivers and the card is recognised in device...