Windows 10: Graphics card dying?

Discus and support Graphics card dying? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hey! After a ca. a week having new PC parts my computer froze, with vertical coloured lines on both monitors, with a repeating buzzing sound. After... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Hauksort, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Hauksort Win User

Graphics card dying?

Hey!
    After a ca. a week having new PC parts my computer froze, with vertical coloured lines on both monitors, with a repeating buzzing sound. After hitting the reset button the computer booted normally, and it looked like it was fine. I figured it just froze because of the game I was playing as I couldn't see what would have been wrong. This happened two more times however, and the third freeze happened while I was browsing the web. Each freeze happened with maybe a 5-10 minute interval. After the second freeze the computer wouldn't go past Windows loading, as it would end up in a black screen where the log-in screen normally would appear. Up until the black screen there would be coloured lines, or artifacts as shown in the linked picture. I tried booting several times where the same artifacts and black screen would appear. As I tried to troubleshoot I changed the thermal paste in fear of it overheating without me having noticed. I rebooted my computer again without any improvement. As I hit the reset button again this time the computer for some reason decided to cooperate, however it only took the same 5-10 min for the computer to freeze, where the monitors showed a different colour each, as shown in the linked picture.

I've tried taking the RAM out and put it back one stick at a time to see if that could be the issue. I also checked if any cables going from the PSU could be loose. I have been looking around for a solution online, but most of the answers end up with telling whoever is relevant that the GPU is dead. At this point I just want to confirm whether it's dead or not, as I haven't experienced this before. I'd have a hard time identifying it anyway.

Appreciate all the answers, sorry for the wall of text Graphics card dying? :)

:)

Hauksort, Sep 19, 2016

2. graphics cards

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

This issue occurs if your “Display Adapter” is not updated.

Please follow the steps given below to uninstall and update
    Universal Bus Controllers drivers and check if issue persist.

• Click on the Start button, and type “Device Manager” on the search bar.
    • Open Device Manager, expand “Display Adapter”.
    • Find and double-click Display Adapter.
    • Right-click on the graphic driver, and click Uninstall.
    • Windows will prompt you to confirm the device’s removal. Click
      OK
      to remove the driver.
    • After the uninstallation is complete, reboot your computer.
    • After you have successfully uninstalled the driver, please go to the computer manufacturer’s website, download the Windows 10 Graphic driver for your computer and check.
    • After downloading update, follow process 1-2.
    • Then go to each of the drivers, click on it, go to the driver tab and click on Upgrade Driver.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

For further assistance, you can post your query in Microsoft Community.

Regards

Vanessa

Vanessa Sohtun, Sep 19, 2016
  3. graphics cards

Windows 10 will not upgrade, says my graphics card is not good enough any one have any suggestions running a 64 bit processor of what will work? So many choices. Not really a gamer just want to upgrade.

karenlong02, Sep 19, 2016
  4. Graphics card dying?

Try the graphics card on another computer. If it shows the same problem then it's the GPU.

RoasterMen, Sep 19, 2016
  5. Defective GPU on the picture, get a replacement.

RubberDucky, Sep 19, 2016
  6. Hauksort Win User
    The graphics card is probably over 4 years old, so I doubt I'd get a replacement. I guess I'll have to buy a new one once I get the money.

Edit; I got loads of new PC parts, but the GPU wasn't one of them.

Hauksort, Sep 19, 2016
  7. Time for you to save up for one *Smile

If you only had an NVIDIA card from EVGA then you could still get a replacement card for free.

RoasterMen, Sep 19, 2016
  8. Kbird Win User

Graphics card dying?

Try the iGPU , your Processor has one I think ? (Intel 2000/3000?) not much good for gaming but at least you can use the Computer if the other Card is really dead.

KB.

Kbird, Sep 23, 2016
  9. Intel HD 3000 isn't all that bad considering it's tad better than HD 4350

RoasterMen, Sep 23, 2016
  10. Hauksort Win User
    A friend of mine told me I could borrow his old 5870 until I'd get a new GPU, which solved the issue completely.

Considering my 7950 card was basically dead, and I vaguely remembered something about baking the GPU to re-flow the solder I did some research to figure out if this was viable. I found this video and followed the steps - 'baking' the GPU on 385 degrees fahrenheit for 8-10 minutes. I was obviously a bit sceptical, but I didn't exactly have anything to lose.

And it worked! After booting there were no artifacts etc. and everything works seemingly fine. Now I'm just hoping the GPU will last until the 1080ti drops, as I've been drooling over it for a while haha *Smile

Never heard of iGPU but I'll definitely use it next time I run into some GPU-related issues.

Thanks for all the help *Smile

Hauksort, Sep 23, 2016
  11. Kbird Win User
    The Intergrated Graphics (iGPU) is part of many Intel CPU's so that Computers don't need a dedicated GFX Card if used in an Office , or Grandma wants to check her Email ...that short of thing , not for modern level gaming.... though they are getting better these days.

Your Comp. Specs tell me you have this ...with an intel 3000 , so there must be a Port on the IO Plane for your Monitor I think.

Intel Core™ i5-2500K Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.70 GHz) Specifications

Kbird, Sep 23, 2016
  12. Hauksort Win User
    I have upgraded to a i7 2800K recently, I guess I have to update my specs, my bad Graphics card dying? :)

Edit; and I apparently don't have a monitor port on my mobo either, so I'm guessing iGPU wouldn't work.

Hauksort, Sep 23, 2016
  13. Kbird Win User

Graphics card dying?

i7-2600K ? I don't see a 2800K ? 2600K does have iGPU an intel 3000

Intel Core™ i7-2600K Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz) Specifications

and you have a HDMI Port for Video on that MB unless that is not your MB anymore either?

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-Z68XP-UD3P (rev. 1.0)

your monitor may not have HDMI though if Older........

Kbird, Sep 24, 2016
  14. Hauksort Win User
    Oh wow I managed to misspell it completely, too many numbers on my mind while writing this apparentlyy
    I meant to say I have the i7 6800K, but after all I'm guessing it has the iGPU as well?

Hauksort, Sep 24, 2016
  15. Kbird Win User
    Well that 10 mins of my life I wont get back...... *Smile

Update your specs

and No the 6800k does not have an iGPU and you must have a new MB too for that CPU.....a X99 Chipset one....

so disregard all info on iGPU......

Kbird, Sep 24, 2016
Thema:

Graphics card dying?

1. Graphics card dying? - Similar Threads - Graphics card dying

2. Graphics Card dies while under load but no blue screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Graphics Card dies while under load but no blue screen: Hey Guys,Getting a weird problem that I'm having trouble understanding. Every once in a while my graphics card will suddenly just stop working without triggering a blue screen. I know everything else is fine because the PC doesn't restart and I can still hear people in...
  3. Graphics Card dies while under load but no blue screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Graphics Card dies while under load but no blue screen: Hey Guys,Getting a weird problem that I'm having trouble understanding. Every once in a while my graphics card will suddenly just stop working without triggering a blue screen. I know everything else is fine because the PC doesn't restart and I can still hear people in...
  4. Graphics Card dies while under load but no blue screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Graphics card

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Graphics card: I was playing a game and everything ws fine and then i got a black screen out of know where i couldnt tab out and i couldnt force quit the game so i unplugged my computer. Now when i load it up it says checking for media presence then loads to the blue windows screen that...
  6. graphic card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    graphic card: I have Toshiba netbook NB 305 with windows 10. I wanted to download for windows 10 ookla speedtest which is offered free in Microsoft store. After installation when I click on launch I got message "failed to initialize direct3D. At least Direct 11 feature level 9.3 is...
  7. graphics card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    graphics card: how do I find out which graphic card I have https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/graphics-card/ce87d398-8667-4c3a-985c-96a6c9defdf6
  8. Graphic Card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Graphic Card: How do I find the graphic card data installed on my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/graphic-card/9c222831-7ddf-4e28-9f0c-c4518df153df
  9. New graphics card is apparently dying.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    New graphics card is apparently dying.: Now this is a surprise. Looks like this GeForce GT 730 really was defective after all. I was playing a little with Mac OS X, then due to chipset compatibilty problems i decided to go back to Windows 10. It was finishing installing, so i left the PC alone... When i...
  10. graphics cards

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    graphics cards: I have a 6 year old Dell XPS 8300 with new hard drive, PSU and monitor,keyboard and mouse. When it breaks I will get another and not sink money in this one. I can use some of the parts. The graphics card, NVidia, is horizontal and works OK. I also have a similar port...