Windows 10: Graphics card missing from device manager after Windows Update

Discus and support Graphics card missing from device manager after Windows Update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I have recently noticed that my NVIDIA GPU icon is missing from the taskbar. When I inspected the issue, I noticed that nothing showed up when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by johnwalkerJW, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Graphics card missing from device manager after Windows Update

Hello,

I have recently noticed that my NVIDIA GPU icon is missing from the taskbar. When I inspected the issue, I noticed that nothing showed up when searching for NVIDIA via the Start Menu and that the only item under Display adaptors in the Device Manager is Intel HD 5500. I have downloaded the official driver from Acer's website and the NVIDIA website. Both said that they could not find compatible hardware.

This problem has started occuring somewhere around two months ago leading me to strongly believe that the Windows Spring 2018 update is to blame here as it was installed on 23rd of May - the same date my Intel HD driver's properties (in Device Manager) say that the driver was reinstalled and 'migrated', whatever that means. Intel HD is not the only driver which shows similar info for 23rd of May.

My laptop is Aspire F5-571G and the graphics card is NVIDIA Geforce 940M.

Troubleshooting already done as per common advice:

1.) There was an NVIDIA related entry in the Programs and Apps settings menu and I uninstalled it hoping that Windows Update would install the driver again correctly. It did not.

2.) I have used the Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) for my NVIDIA driver hoping that either Windows Update or NVIDIA driver downloaded from Acer website would be able to download/install the driver. They were not able to do that.

3.) I have attempted to uninstall Intel HD using Device manager (checking the "Remove driver software"). Windows Update downloaded the appropriate driver and installed, however there was still no sign of NVIDIA drivers.

4.) I have restored BIOS to factory settings. There is no option for 'discrete graphics', 'dGPU' or anything similar.

5.) I have attempted to run DriverEasy and other similar programs to no avail.

6.) I have attempted to type in bcedit /set pciexpress forcedisable to admin CMD.

7.) There are no yellow marks near any devices in the Device manager and there is no "Other devices section". The show hidden devices option is on.

8.) There are no restore points before June available.

Other info:

1.) I have used Autoruns for Windows for unrelated performance issues and it found two NVIDIA related entries.

2.) I have used MalwareBytes a week ago and it found and deleted a Trojan malware. I cannot 100% confirm that the NVIDIA driver was there before the MalwareBytes scan.

Questions which are similar but without working solutions:

1.) Same update

2.) Similar issue

3.) Similar issue #2

4.) Number of other questions I can't remember

Thank you in advance for your time.

:)

johnwalkerJW, Jul 12, 2018

2. Cant find graphics card on device manager!

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, please share the information:

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Do you get any error message while playing or to launch a game?

I suggest you to unhide the hidden drivers in Device Manager by following the steps provided below and check if the Graphic card driver is visible:

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
    • Click on View and click on Show Hidden Devices.

Hope this helps. Get back to us with the requested information and we'll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jul 12, 2018
  3. Graphics card information.

Hi David,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

The error might occur if the Graphic card is cannot update the driver automatically.

I suggest you to update the graphic card manually by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device manager.
    • Expand Display Driver from the list.
    • Right click on the Graphic driver and select
      update driver software.

Also, can download the latest version of the graphic card from the manufacturer website.

Hope the information is helpful. Please revert back with the necessary information and we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jul 12, 2018
  4. Graphics card missing from device manager after Windows Update

Unsupported Graphics card .

Hello Ayush,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I request you to try the following steps:

Uninstall and Reinstall the Graphics Card Drivers.

Step 1: Uninstall the Graphics Card
    Drivers

• Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard.

• Click on “Device Manager” from that list.

• Search for the Graphics Card
      from the device list, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device” you may select that and then remove the corrupted drivers
      from the computer.

• Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and then restart the computer if prompted.
    After the restart, please go ahead with the next steps to install the latest drivers and check if that resolves the issue.

Update Driver Software from the Manufacturer’s website:

Step 2: Go to the Computer or Graphics Card
    manufacturer’s website and search for the latest Windows 10 drivers available for the
    Graphics Card model and then install it by following the instructions given in the website.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further query in future, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Jul 12, 2018
Thema:

Graphics card missing from device manager after Windows Update

1. Graphics card missing from device manager after Windows Update - Similar Threads - Graphics card missing

2. Windows welcome screen is missing after Graphics card driver update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows welcome screen is missing after Graphics card driver update: When I updated my UHD 770 driver the windows welcome screen is not showing up when booting up my PC it always heads straight to desktop. is there any fix for this?...
  3. Windows welcome screen is missing after Graphics card driver update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows welcome screen is missing after Graphics card driver update: When I updated my UHD 770 driver the windows welcome screen is not showing up when booting up my PC it always heads straight to desktop. is there any fix for this?...
  4. graphic card didnt show in device manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    graphic card didnt show in device manager: hi3 month ago i bought a tuf dash f15 with core i7 11370h and rtx 3060 but yesterday when i boot it up it shows the nvidia graphic in device manager for a short time but after that it got disapear and in gefource experience it says you didnt have any nvidia graphic card what...
  5. graphic card didnt show in device manager

graphic card didnt show in device manager: hi3 month ago i bought a tuf dash f15 with core i7 11370h and rtx 3060 but yesterday when i boot it up it shows the nvidia graphic in device manager for a short time but after that it got disapear and in gefource experience it says you didnt have any nvidia graphic card what...
  6. Graphics card not detected in device manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Graphics card not detected in device manager: Hi, my graphics card is not detected in device manager post upgrade to Windows 11, and is thus replaced with "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter", resulting in a decreased performance and far more lag. How would I circumvent this, for simply clicking "show hidden devices" and...
  7. Graphics card not detected in device manager

Graphics card not detected in device manager: Hi, my graphics card is not detected in device manager post upgrade to Windows 11, and is thus replaced with "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter", resulting in a decreased performance and far more lag. How would I circumvent this, for simply clicking "show hidden devices" and...
  8. Graphics Card no Showing in Device Manager after 21H1 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Graphics Card no Showing in Device Manager after 21H1 update: Hi,I have recently updated to 21H1 May Update after which my Nvidia gtx 1050 laptop doesnot shows graphics card in the device manager, it doesnot shows in the dxdiag system information and also not in the bios. So anyone else facing the same issue and know about the...
  9. Windows 10 graphics card not showing in device manager after driver_power_state_failure.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 graphics card not showing in device manager after driver_power_state_failure.: Ok so let's be honnest I turned on my pc around 12pm today, worked fine for 5 mins after that this happened,[ATTACH] And unfortunately I didn't have the photo of the bsod so this is just a reference from the internet and in my case the error was device...
  10. nVidia video card is missing in Device Manager after 2004 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    nVidia video card is missing in Device Manager after 2004 update: Hello! I have a Dell Inspiron 7720 laptop with two graphics cards Intel Graphics 4000 and GeForce 650M Two weeks ago Windows is updated to 2004 automaticly. But after restrating GeForce video card is missing in the device manager. Latest drivers from nVidia site are not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. graphics card missing in device manager

2. graphics card missing in device manager after update

3. graphics card missing from device manager

4. updated windows Graphics card missing,
  5. graphics card missing from device manager but running