Windows 10: Graphics Issues after Creators Update

Discus and support Graphics Issues after Creators Update in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I run 3 monitors with my system: Monitor 1 (HP LE2201w) is driven via graphics card VGA output at 1050x1680 resolution. Monitor 2 (BenQ GW2765) is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by tallguydirk, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Graphics Issues after Creators Update

I run 3 monitors with my system:

Monitor 1 (HP LE2201w) is driven via graphics card VGA output at 1050x1680 resolution.
    Monitor 2 (BenQ GW2765) is driven via graphics card DisplayPort output at 2560x1440 resolution.
    Monitor 3 (BenQ GW2765) is driven via graphics card DVI-D output at 2560x1440 resolution.

This setup has been working perfectly for 6+ months. After the Creators Update was installed, Monitor 2 stopped working at the full 2560x1440 resolution. Windows says it is outputting at that resolution but the monitor won't display anything. I also get a DisplayPort Link Failure error message -
    Graphics Issues after Creators Update [​IMG]

When I lower the resolution of Monitor 2 in the Windows Display Settings, the monitor will work. However I did not purchase a 2560x1440 monitor to run it at 1920x1080...this is unacceptable.

I tried upgrading to the latest available drivers for my graphics card. This is the non-WHQL Radeon Crimson beta 16.2.1 driver. This did not fix the issue.

I then tried rolling back the graphics card driver to the only other driver available through AMD which is the WHQL certified driver - 15.7.1...this did not fix my issue.

Then I used system restore to roll back to a restore point from before the Creators Update - This fixed the issue. My displays all ran at full resolution without any issues just like they had for 6 months prior. When I re-installed the Creators Update my problem reappeared. I think this confirms it is not a hardware issue and has something to do with the Creators Update or the graphics driver version that was installed with the Creators Update. I am not sure what I can do to fix this...AMD doesn't offer any older drivers so I can't just download whatever version I was running prior to the Creators Update.

Any advice for how I can fix this?

:)

tallguydirk, Oct 3, 2017
  2. Spankyty Win User

Display Color Calibration resets while playing in fullscreen.

It's not a driver issue, I rolled back the Graphics Card driver, not it. It also happens to my friends on AMD and it only happened after the Creators Update. Many people have been complaining about this issue so I highly doubt it is a Graphics Card issue.

Spankyty, Oct 3, 2017
  3. Display

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update was installed on 6 January.

Graphics card is AMD A6-6400K APU with Radeon (tm) HD Graphics.

Could you please instruct me on how to take a sample screenshot.

KeithPoole, Oct 3, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Graphics Issues after Creators Update

Hi, you might be able to back up the driver used in the Anniversary build thus:
    Backup and Restore Device Drivers in Windows 10 Hardware Drivers Tutorials

Years ago I used freeware to back up drivers.. but I've never tried it with a graphics driver.

Previous
    Videocards - ATI Catalyst Windows 7 | 8 | 10

I don't know if any of those are of interest

- note- I don't think that was System Restore.. all S Restore points are wiped on a build upgrade (as they should be).

Given the driver versions you've tried, and knowing the version used in the Anniversary edition, presumably you could contact AMD/an AMD forum.

(Another approach meanwhile if you have Win 10 Pro would be to Defer Feature Updates - while awaiting a fix for this).

I expect others who have experience with this sort of configuration will comment soon....

dalchina, Oct 3, 2017
  5. Woohoo you're suggestion to back up the working driver and then restore it after the Creators Update worked.
    I rolled back to previous version of Windows 10 (Settings > Recovery > Go back to the previous version of Windows 10), then followed the instructions in Backup and Restore Device Drivers in Windows 10 Hardware Drivers Tutorials to backup all my drivers. Then I reinstalled the Creators Update and then restored the working driver, again following the instructions in the aforementioned link. It still wasn't working after a reboot, but I noticed that it wasn't actually using the working driver version (15.201.1151.0), it was still using whatever version Windows automatically updated it to during the Creators Update. From Device Manager I right-clicked on the display adapter > Properties > Driver > Roll Back Driver (this option was previously greyed out). After that my monitor suddenly started working and I verified it was using the older working driver version 15.201.1151.0.

Thanks for the help! Now is there any way to prevent Windows from trying to install a newer driver version?

tallguydirk, Oct 4, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Oct 4, 2017
  7. andrewsc Win User
    The solutions suggested by Microsoft have worked for me:

2nd Monitor on restart only

On an immediate basis: Win+Ctrl+Shift+B brings back the monitor. More fundamentally, turn off the Fast Boot option in Power management in Control Panel

andrewsc, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Graphics Issues after Creators Update

1. Graphics Issues after Creators Update - Similar Threads - Graphics Issues Creators

2. More Edge issues after Fall Creators Update

in Browsers and Email
    More Edge issues after Fall Creators Update: Sorry if I've posted in the wrong place, and thanks in advance for your help. computers are dell inspiron laptops, i7 processors, less than a year old, updated to fc. First a suggestion: is there a single thread for problems with major Windows updates, like the fall...
  3. defender issues after creator update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    defender issues after creator update: i got an 'unknown usb device (set address failed)', which was noticed when I checked defender... I also cannot enable the defender threat service... clicking restart does nothing. i uninstalled the device and restarted, but didn't fix it, altho the WSC icon shows 'no...
  4. Chrome Issues With Creators Update.

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome Issues With Creators Update.: Just an FYI, since several users are posting about these issues on the Google Chrome help forum: Issue #1: After installing the Creators Update, my extension icons mysteriously disappeared and Chrome would lock up if I tried to install/uninstall/reinstall any extension....
  5. Brightness Issue after creators update.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Brightness Issue after creators update.: Okay so I have noticed that when I go into a game such as Resident Evil 7 full screen or Dark souls 3 and some other games into full screen mode the game will get really bright or when I exit back to desktop it will be really bright. However if I run a game in borderless...
  6. Small issue after upgrading to creator's update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Small issue after upgrading to creator's update: So I just have this error in the event viewer ever since I upgraded to win 10 creators update. Event 7000 Service Control Manager The CldFlt service failed to start due to the following error: The request is not supported. Any idea what service is this tied to?Or why...
  7. After Creators Update - Won't boot with graphics card driver installed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After Creators Update - Won't boot with graphics card driver installed: As the title suggests, I allowed the creators update to install itself yesterday and now the computer will get stuck whilst booting. I took the graphics card out and used the onboard graphics and it then booted fine. Uninstalled the graphics drivers and rebooted with graphics...
  8. Creators updates new issues.

in Windows 10 Support
    Creators updates new issues.: Okay so here are some issues I have encountered. I'am getting the "Session "Microsoft.Windows.UniversalNotificationPlatform" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000022" error which is being caused by Windows Update and Privacy settings. I could uninstall it but...
  9. Myriad of issues after Creator update

in Windows 10 Support
    Myriad of issues after Creator update: Hey folks, I have been having some rather annoying issued as of installing the Creator update. These issues include: -Incredibly slow boot time -Disk usage maxing out whenever a program is launched -Incredibly slow browser speeds (Using Waterfox. Chrome seems to function...
  10. Creator update issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Creator update issues: I had original installed creator update in VM and the update went fine. So i did an install on actual hardware the update didn't go fine. Upon first boot up I noticed all the icons i had pinned on startmenu were corrupt, so I rebooted system when system was back up, all...