Windows 10: Gray X's on Desktop files appearing

Discus and support Gray X's on Desktop files appearing in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Gray X's have recently started appearing on all of the files and folders I have placed on my Windows 10 desktop. [img] The X's are in the lower... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by brufair, Jan 16, 2017.

1. brufair Win User

Gray X's on Desktop files appearing

Gray X's have recently started appearing on all of the files and folders I have placed on my Windows 10 desktop.

Gray X's on Desktop files appearing [​IMG]

The X's are in the lower left corner of the icon.. They only appear on icons belonging to actual files or folders saved on the desktop. (Not on shortcuts to other locations.)

Examples would include: Excel files, PDF files, JPG files, folders actually residing on the desktop, text files, etc. The appearance of the "X's" have not interfered with my ability to access the files. This does NOT occur any place else (other folders on my hard drive, etc.) other than on the desktop.

Logging out as a User or rebooting does solve the issue for 1-2 minutes once I am logged back in, but then they reappear.

Doing a screen refresh does nothing. Right-clicking on the file (or folder) and resetting the default program to open the file (or folder) does nothing.

I have not recently installed any new back-up programs.

Deleting the Desktop DataBase in the Registry does not help.

Any suggestions or known solutions would be most appreciated!

:)

brufair, Jan 16, 2017

2. Windows 10 - Gray x's on some desktop icons

No matter I do . Still the Gray 'x' icon is not going . its annoying to see the Gray 'X' on my desktop.

Does any one know how to remove it.

Arun KumarTummalapalli, Jan 16, 2017
  3. cdaKL Win User
    Windows 10 - Gray x's on some desktop icons

Right click on desktop; select refresh.... This is a temporary fix, but they will come back because there are multiple applications using the same table. When there is a conflict, the gray X's appear. In my situation, I discontinued using OneDrive to permanently
    resolve the issue.

cdaKL, Jan 16, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. Do the files open ok i was wondering if the have been encrypted by ransom ware

Samuria, Jan 16, 2017
  5. brufair Win User
    The files and folders affected by this open and work just fine. This is only a visual annoyance, but nonetheless, something isn't right here.

brufair, Jan 16, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    Which version of Win10 are you seeing it on? Are the files on removable media such as a USB drive?

I'm running both Win10 RTM Version 1607 Build 14393.693 and Win10 IP/Insider Preview Version 1607 Build 15007 and don't see the same issue.

Berton, Jan 16, 2017
  7. brufair Win User
    As I had indicated initially, these are files and folders actually stored on the desktop - not shortcuts to other locations on removable media or on my hard drive.

I have Windows 10 Pro, Version 1607, Build 14393.693

brufair, Jan 16, 2017
  8. philc43 Win User

Are your files being synced or archived to the cloud or some other location.

philc43, Jan 16, 2017
  9. brufair Win User
    I guess that's why forums are great... 2 heads are better than one! In this case, philc43, you figured it out.

I am syncing my desktop (and other folders) with a program called "SugarSync." When I turned off the sync to the desktop and rebooted, the X's went away and stayed away. As soon as I tried to resync the desktop, they reappeared.

Good to know... and I'll now go to them for a fix.

Thanks all..

brufair, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Gray X's on Desktop files appearing - Similar Threads - Gray X's Desktop

2. word doc has a gray x

in Windows 10 Gaming
    word doc has a gray x: word doc has a gray x https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-doc-has-a-gray-x/d251a2e8-dae6-465c-b265-adf96429f7a7
  3. word doc has a gray x

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    word doc has a gray x: word doc has a gray x https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-doc-has-a-gray-x/d251a2e8-dae6-465c-b265-adf96429f7a7
  4. word doc has a gray x

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. PubKey file appearing on the desktop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PubKey file appearing on the desktop.: Hello, I see this file, named PubKey appearing on my desktop and I don't know how. The first time it appeared I deleted it but then again the next day it re-appeared. Is this a virus or something? Should I reset my PC?Please advise....
  6. PubKey file appearing on the desktop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PubKey file appearing on the desktop.: Hello, I see this file, named PubKey appearing on my desktop and I don't know how. The first time it appeared I deleted it but then again the next day it re-appeared. Is this a virus or something? Should I reset my PC?Please advise....
  7. Gray x on my pictures

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Gray x on my pictures: Okay, so yesterday i had no space left on my laptop and i decided to put important pictures in a usb and i cut and paste the pictures and i checked and everything was okay then i factory reset my computer in the other day i turn on the computer and my old stuff came back...
  8. Why can't I acces these files and Why they have a Gray X?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why can't I acces these files and Why they have a Gray X?: Hello, My girlfriend just noticed that she have some files with a gray X and she's unable to open them. When she tries to copy and paste in another folder it appears an image of an error. Some files are important, what should we do? [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  9. debug file appearing on the desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    debug file appearing on the desktop: type - text document.log opens with - notepad file after opening it displays the following information: [1020/122331.587:ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc43] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. 0x3...
  10. My screen appears in gray.

in Windows 10 Customization
    My screen appears in gray.: I have Windows 10 and nephews very restless; I do not know how they have placed my screen gray. So if suddenly, the screen appears in gray, I would appreciate beforehand how to fix it....