Windows 10: Green screen...

Discus and support Green screen... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Now this is not Windows 10 issues, it is actually my old faithful Dell desktop running Vista... quite old now but it was OK for a machine used... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by stuarttunstall, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Green screen...

Hi

Now this is not Windows 10 issues, it is actually my old faithful Dell desktop running Vista... quite old now but it was OK for a machine used for basic internet use in my bedroom. but I know the experts on here may be able to help me *Smile

It seems to have developed an issue which I suspect is graphics card related.. for a number of years I would say it has always had a line of green dots that go from top to bottom but only a single line, and this moves to different positions but mostly about a third of the way from the right hand side...

Now, recently the desktop may boot OK and work ok for a few minutes, but then the whole screen changes to a mass of green dots and dashes so you cannot see the screen very well, although you can see the correct screen below... a reboot does nothing, as does safe mode... I have also reinstalled the drivers..

The monitor is a dual screen, TV and monitor in one and that works perfect.. Does this sound like the graphics card is or has failed and needs replacing? I have just removed an reconnected the VGA cable and that made no difference.. It may be OK for about 5 mins then start..

As this is a PC not used regular it is not worth spending a lot *Smile

Any ideas?

Stuart

:)

stuarttunstall, Dec 15, 2017

2. Green screen

Hi Nancy,

The issue you are experiencing may be due to a corrupted software or a hardware failure on the computer. However, we need to perform some troubleshooting steps to isolate the cause of this concern. Before we proceed, may we know the following:

• What were you doing when you encountered the green screen?
    • Did you make any changes on the computer prior to this problem?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Are you also getting any error messages when experiencing the green screen? If so, can you send us a screenshot?
      Note: Please do not include any personal information.

Desiree Yau, Dec 15, 2017
  3. TAMAS 48 Win User
    green screen

i m no wizard but could it be some decoding problem ??

TAMAS 48, Dec 15, 2017
  4. Green screen...

First thing I would do, and some people are uncomfortable doing so, open the device up.

Ensure it is reasonably clean. If you have compressed air do a cleaning. Watch fans, you don't want to over spin them. just hold with finger. This could create a cloud of dust. If you can do it outside.

I would also removed the card from the machine and re-seat.

This may give you a little relief. You say it works for about five minutes, I'm thinking heat issue. If the device is that old then yes the card or motherboard could be on last days.

Caledon Ken, Dec 17, 2017
  5. Worth updating the drivers for the graphics card but sounds like it may have a fault *Smile

kingtez1984, Dec 17, 2017
  6. I did update/reinstall the drivers but seems to make no difference *Sad I will say the last two days it has been OK lol

I did actually think maybe a heat issue so I will take the top off and give it a clean out and reseat the card, it is about 10 years old so it may well be full of dust...

stuarttunstall, Dec 17, 2017
  7. Steve C Win User
    It seems you probably have a problem with the GPU. It might be worth fixing if you can find a another main board on EBay and know how to replace it.

Steve C, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Green screen...

1. Green screen... - Similar Threads - Green screen

2. Green screen error on Watchdog violation, watchdog timeout or pc freezes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Green screen error on Watchdog violation, watchdog timeout or pc freezes: IMAGE_VERSION: 10.0.22621.3520STACK_COMMAND: .cxr; .ecxr ; kbEXCEPTION_CODE_STR: 5D9532CBEXCEPTION_STR: WRONG_SYMBOLSPROCESS_NAME: ntoskrnl.wrong.symbols.exeIMAGE_NAME: ntoskrnl.wrong.symbols.exeMODULE_NAME: nt_wrong_symbolsSYMBOL_NAME:...
  3. Green screen error on Watchdog violation, watchdog timeout or pc freezes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Green screen error on Watchdog violation, watchdog timeout or pc freezes: IMAGE_VERSION: 10.0.22621.3520STACK_COMMAND: .cxr; .ecxr ; kbEXCEPTION_CODE_STR: 5D9532CBEXCEPTION_STR: WRONG_SYMBOLSPROCESS_NAME: ntoskrnl.wrong.symbols.exeIMAGE_NAME: ntoskrnl.wrong.symbols.exeMODULE_NAME: nt_wrong_symbolsSYMBOL_NAME:...
  4. A green line just appeared on my screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A green line just appeared on my screen: Was using my laptop and a green line suddenly appeared. Any idea what happened and suggestions how to fix it? Laptop is ASUS X415JA https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-green-line-just-appeared-on-my-screen/2de724ee-3460-4c3c-80ad-a22af42b0432
  5. A green line just appeared on my screen

A green line just appeared on my screen: Was using my laptop and a green line suddenly appeared. Any idea what happened and suggestions how to fix it? Laptop is ASUS X415JA https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-green-line-just-appeared-on-my-screen/2de724ee-3460-4c3c-80ad-a22af42b0432
  6. Fix horizontal or vertical Green line on laptop screen

in Windows 10 News
    Fix horizontal or vertical Green line on laptop screen: [IMG]This article will show you how to fix horizontal or vertical green lines on a laptop screen. This issue can occur due to an outdated Graphics card driver or a hardware issue. How to fix horizontal or vertical Green line on laptop screen Use the following solutions to fix...
  7. Green Screen while gaming, sometime randomly freeze and have to hard restart.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Green Screen while gaming, sometime randomly freeze and have to hard restart.: As the title suggests, I've been so frustrated about this problem. I really don't know what is causing it. The green screen said it's caused by "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and indicates issues with the driver ntoskrnl.exe. I hope someone could helpMinidump file:...
  8. Green Screen while gaming, sometime randomly freeze and have to hard restart.

Green Screen while gaming, sometime randomly freeze and have to hard restart.: As the title suggests, I've been so frustrated about this problem. I really don't know what is causing it. The green screen said it's caused by "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and indicates issues with the driver ntoskrnl.exe. I hope someone could helpMinidump file:...
  9. Green screen of death

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Green screen of death: So as you see from the tile I’m an unlucky one and got the green screen after just changing my fans speed. It saids “inaccessible boot drive”. I have Had this before on a blue screen and fixed it. I’m finding no solutions to fix this with the green. I have Watch many YouTube...
  10. Green screen of death

Green screen of death: So as you see from the tile I’m an unlucky one and got the green screen after just changing my fans speed. It saids “inaccessible boot drive”. I have Had this before on a blue screen and fixed it. I’m finding no solutions to fix this with the green. I have Watch many YouTube...