Windows 10: Grey text on start menu?

Discus and support Grey text on start menu? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After latest cumulative update I notice loads of my start menu entries are written in grey. Most are white but there are quite a few in grey. They... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Scottyboy99, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Grey text on start menu?

After latest cumulative update I notice loads of my start menu entries are written in grey. Most are white but there are quite a few in grey. They still seem to launch ok but this is very odd. Rebooting seems to return many of the text entries to white but then slowly more and more start to go grey! It seems to keep changing too, one boot 'documents' or say 'wikipedia' will be grey and then next time they will be written in white but then something like 'amazon' or 'tips' will be grey text. Anyone else seen this? Maybe it's a feature but what might it signify?

:)

Scottyboy99, Sep 11, 2017
  2. garym123 Win User

Export .3gp video from MMS text msg

On 8.1 update 1 and update 2 I only get delete and forward. The forward is only to a text.

Copy is greyed out if there is no text with the .3gp. If there is text in the message copy is not greyed out but only the text is copied.

garym123, Sep 11, 2017
  3. Windows 10 light grey text

We appreciated you for getting back to us with the requested information, Shelley. Based from the screenshot that you've provided, it seems that the font color of the said applications are set according to what you can see by default. You may also want to
    check if your Windows 10 computer's ClearType Text Tuner is enabled. To do this, type "cleartype" in Cortana check box. Make sure that the option to tun on ClearType is checked. This will improve the readability of text on your computer.

Let us know if you have any other concerns.

Lizette Ags, Sep 11, 2017
  4. Grey text on start menu?

FIXED : I removed the messaging app via powershell which the cumulative update somehow screwed up and then wouldn't repair / re install. Start menu is fine now, no more random grey text entries!

Scottyboy99, Sep 12, 2017
  5. NumberTen Win User
  6. Yes exactly like that in the first image. The only way I could fix was to nuke the messaging app which was corrupted. A few others also corrupted such as Xbox and one note in the cumulative update aftermath but they repaired via store ok. I may try and re download it at some point but last nights attempts kept erroring out. I don't have any use for windows in a mobile capacity so I'll leave it for now. But yet another bad bad bug! The native apps and their flimsy nature are by far the worst part of windows 10, at least in my experience!

Scottyboy99, Sep 12, 2017
  7. NumberTen Win User
    An email address and microsoft account aren't set up for every user on my machine, but the same apps for all were corrupt upon checking. OneNote, Messaging and Tips wouldn't start. I removed them in the end, but the system went into an immediate update after a manual restart, so it was impossible to tell whether the update fixed anything on it's own. The Xbox app was working before and after the update on all accounts this machine has though. Everything is working now.

Tips was easy to reinstall given that I could right click, uninstall and find it again via the store. I restored all apps for all users through powershell, so now I have my account with all apps from another. I thought it would only restore microsoft's own apps. The store is also accessible for me, but I was certain before that I could not access or download from the store without registering an account.

The update has revealed a new minor issue with start menu folder icons, which seems to have been a one-off, only notable in full screen desktop mode upon initial boot for one user:
    https://s26.postimg.org/i5zj3qqo9/Untitled.jpg

NumberTen, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Grey text on start menu?

1. Grey text on start menu? - Similar Threads - Grey text start

2. Start Menu looks greyed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu looks greyed out: Hi Team,As part our product we install the application on top of Windows. When we were using Windows 10 LTSB 2016 we were not facing any issues with Start Menu, after we migrated to Windows 10 LTSC 2019 we started to see an issue of Start Menu being greyed out Key board works...
  3. Start Menu looks greyed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu looks greyed out: Hi Team,As part our product we install the application on top of Windows. When we were using Windows 10 LTSB 2016 we were not facing any issues with Start Menu, after we migrated to Windows 10 LTSC 2019 we started to see an issue of Start Menu being greyed out Key board works...
  4. Start Menu looks greyed out

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Start Menu Fullscreen color is grey

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu Fullscreen color is grey: [ATTACH] I updated my PC overnight and woke up to my start menu being greyI restarted, still grey. I Changed between light and dark themes then applied my color again, still greyDark is too dark and light is too light both are equally hard on my eyes which is the whole...
  6. Grey block covering start menu

Grey block covering start menu: Theres this weird block covering the start menu, I click it and it goes away, last I checked I havent downloaded any corrupted files, or messed with the system files. When I click it the little camera icon falls down too, making me think its a bug with a portion of the...
  7. Start Menu Text

Start Menu Text: How do I restore the text in my Start menu when it disappeared after an update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-text/e070086c-126a-44c1-9fea-35a67ac46e7f
  8. Start Menu text is Black

in Cortana
    Start Menu text is Black: Hey y'all, To give a bit of background, I had to clone and replace my SSD due to an issue with the SATA connector. I had no issues with the search/start menu before this. Whether I have the theme in Light or Dark Mode, when I search something on Cortana it looks like this:...
  9. Text & icons in start menu greyed out

Text & icons in start menu greyed out: Hello everyone, I'm in need of assistance. You see just recently I've reseted the Local Group Policy settings on my computer through the command prompt method. Though after the process was complete I discovered that there was a problem with my start menu. All the text &...
  10. Start menu text color

Start menu text color: good morning, im not sure if this has been posted and solved, but i have a hard time reading the start menu text..i even changed the default app mode from dark to light. and i cant figure out how to change the color of the text. any help would be appreciated thankyou in...