Windows 10: Groove Music File Structure Question

Discus and support Groove Music File Structure Question in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I wanted to start using Groove Music but had a question. I have a huge mp3 collection and am very specific about my labeling, file structure and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by garen45, May 6, 2016.

1. garen45 Win User

Groove Music File Structure Question

Hi,

I wanted to start using Groove Music but had a question. I have a huge mp3 collection and am very specific about my labeling, file structure and id3 tags and don't like it when apps change them. If I was to use Groove music and add my local music folder to watch, would it change any of those? Would it move files in its own folder system or change or add information to id3 tags?

For example I use id3v2 only and make sure id3v1 is deleted, would it automatically copy the info over to the version 1 tag?

Also would it change my album covers because I know there is an option for that to fill in album covers if they are incorrect or not present.

Any help would be appreciated and I thank you in advance.

:)

garen45, May 6, 2016
  2. ZeitholZ Win User

Groove Music Windows Phone 10 - how to force update media content?

So, here's my latest Groove desaster.

I have a Lumia 830 and use an SD card with 128 Gb and roughly 80-90 Gb of MP3s on it. All tracks are carefully manually ripped to FLAC and tagged with EAC, converted to MP3 with xrecode and occasionally manually re-tagged using MP3tag. So obviously I don't
    want groove or any other app to mess with the meta data of that. I just copy the portion of my collection that I want to have on the phone to the card when the phone is connected via USB. With Windows Phone 8.1 the database update in the music player was never
    really fast but it always was fine after a couple of hours. If you played a file directly from the file explorer this usually triggered a new scan within the player. Not so with Groove on Windows 10, as we all know :-(

I updated a couple of files, and these were henceforward not playable in Groove anymore. The titles were still listed, but playing them only gave an error message. There were other new albums that I added to the file structure, and they never showed up in
    the database. I tried one of the tips given somewhere, to erase all the files from within Groove. No change at all. I experimented with a couple of third party players like Extreme Music but they all seem not to be integrated into the system very well, sometimes
    the play/pause buttons do not work etc.

Now, the day before yesterday my phone got a major Windows update. Today I opened Groove again to see if the update changed anything. It did! A couple of new albums showed up, even one that was not playable before. Of course I did not keep the lockscreen
    open as I was in the car and using the navigation. The result: same problem as always, only 25 albums in Groove when it should be roughly 400.

I then went to the SD card with the Explorer on my PC (phone connected) and checked the content. Big surprise: The folder structure is intact, but all the MP3s that don't show up in Groove are gone! So, deleting music from Groove obviously
    does delete the physical files (with a delay of a couple of days). Contrary to what was stated before.

This is really getting incredibly ridiculous. What's so difficult in just playing the music from the folder structure and displaying the meta data?

ZeitholZ, May 6, 2016
  3. How do I delete "Groove Music " from my hard drive, perminately?

All the music files that were on my computer when Microsoft installed groove music have been incorporated into the groove music format. When I uninstall groove music, will all my music files be deleted?

James W.Walker, May 6, 2016
  4. betayogi Win User

I have all my collection in groove and it does not copy local files to its folder but I am not sure about ID3 tags better to use Zune.

betayogi, May 7, 2016
  5. garen45 Win User
    Thanks betayogi.

can anyone else chime in on the id3 tags?

garen45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Groove Music File Structure Question - Similar Threads - Groove Music File

2. FLAC files and Groove Music

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    FLAC files and Groove Music: Hi! A few days ago I installed the 2004 update, and I have problems with FLAC files and its metadata; Groove Music created an "Unknown Album" album with many songs wich metadata is correct, but when I went to my music folder this files didn't have, apparently, metadata, if I...
  3. Groove Music.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Groove Music.: The album display looks really blury/low quality, the cover arts look so bad in the main groove page, when I click on the album and open it, it's good again. Any idea what's going on here ? submitted by /u/Yosefalii [link] [comments]...
  4. Groove Music

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Groove Music: Hi. How can I copy and burn playlist to USB stick resp. CD-RW ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/groove-music/7facad66-ffa9-47dc-a160-2c8550fe88b8"
  5. Groove Music

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Groove Music: Will Groove Music App still work to play local files after Microsoft kills Groove Music Pass by the end of this year? My concern is that this is the only reliable app that plays music without glitches when my Surface Pro is on connected standby. 96561
  6. Groove Music Question

Groove Music Question: Hello, I might decide to move to Groove Music instead of Windows Media Player. Is there anything I should be aware of since I am moving from Windows Media Player, since a long time. Can you make playlists as easy as W.M.P.? Any more info will be appreciated! I just...
  7. Music Groove

Music Groove: Hello, i have installed fresh windows 10 pro system. I have wanted to listen to my music using Music Groove app. When i have wanted to launch it then it said i need to install Media Feature Pack. Ok, so i have installed both, for 32 and 64bit version using link described...
  8. Some questions concerning Groove music player

Some questions concerning Groove music player: 1. How does one clear songs from playing now?, first song I fired up was a Led Zeppelin song, the taskbar on bottom of player showing controls and song progress cant be cleared. 2. Groove didn't import 50 of my 600 albums, what's up with that?, yet on another computer it...
  9. Groove Music

Groove Music: My Groove music suddenly stopped playing files when I doubleclick on them (groove music launches but is blank). I can use a different player but I have to click into that player as Groove Music is my default. I am reorganizing all of my music (tens of thousands of files) and...
  10. Groove Music

Groove Music: Does anyone else think this app is a POS, or am I doing something that makes it seem that way? Every time I open it, it starts to load all my 1000's of songs on my computer and I can't find a way to clear songs from it or stop it loading. I'm also trying to find a way to edit...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. groove music file hierarchy

2. groove music folder structure

3. groove music file structure