Windows 10: Groove Shows Unknown Artist & Unknown Album

Discus and support Groove Shows Unknown Artist & Unknown Album in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've just installed Windows 10 and experimented with the Groove music player. It finds all the songs but they are tagged Unknown Artist and Unknown... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Steve C, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Steve C Win User

Groove Shows Unknown Artist & Unknown Album

I've just installed Windows 10 and experimented with the Groove music player. It finds all the songs but they are tagged Unknown Artist and Unknown Album. The songs appear fine in iTunes with the correct details and album art.

I reset Groove and made it scan the music directories again but the problem remains. Any solutions?

:)

Steve C, Jun 10, 2016

2. Adding Song Information in Groove Music

So, here is something I've been struggling with - adding song info in the Groove music app.

All the songs I currently have on my phone have 'Unknown Artist', 'Unknown Album' and no album art on them.

Does anyone have a solution?

JelenaObradović, Jun 10, 2016
  3. Groove Music - How to add art to album or artist

How To Change Album Art

• Open up Groove Music.
    • Click on an album
    • Somewhere on the top, you will find 3 dots placed horizontally. Click on it.
    • Click "Edit Info".
    • Then click the box with the pencil on the corner.
    • Done.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ If you can't find an album and it says "Unknown Album" Follow these steps

• Right click on a song.
    • Click "Edit Info".
    • Fill in the boxes (They will say Unknown Artist or Unknown Album)
    • Then you will see the songs in an album (If you press Album on the side of Groove Music.
    • Done.

Jessica杰西卡, Jun 10, 2016
  4. ARC1020 Win User

It's not something I've experienced and so I'm probably going to be of little help. However, out of interest do the actual song files themselves have metadata stored in them? For example, find the one of these audio files in Windows File Explorer, Right-Click > Properties > Details Tab.

Groove Shows Unknown Artist & Unknown Album [​IMG]

If there is no metadata there, in Groove Music > Settings, is "Media Info: Automatically retrieve and update missing album art and metadata" set to on?

Also, do you have Indexing switched on in Control Panel > Indexing Options and the location where your music is stored (EG: Users folder) set to be indexed?

ARC1020, Jun 10, 2016
  5. Cliff S New Member
    I'm gonna try that now.
    I just nuked everything in groove by removing the original "Music Library", and being the I keep my Music library on my 2nd internal SSD, I checked the Indexing options and my F: partition(where my Libraries are) and F: was not checked off, lust the Libraries, which are pointing to F:.
    So I turned on Indexing for F:, and now I'm rebuilding Grooves library.

By the way I use MediaMonkey and had pointer directly to F. from day one, and it always read metadata A1.
    So when Grove is finished rebuilding, I'll let you know the outcome.*Smile

Cliff S, Jun 10, 2016
  6. Steve C Win User
    The metadata is fine and read by iTunes and Media Player. "Automatically retrieve and update missing album art and metadata" is set to on and the indexing is correctly configured. I've found many people have this problem in my Google search.

Steve C, Jun 10, 2016
  7. Cliff S New Member
    Nope didn't help*Sad
    Groove remains Media Crap.
    I'm sticking to MediaMonkey still.
    It doesn't even have volume leveling anyhow.

Cliff S, Jun 10, 2016
  8. Steve C Win User

Thanks - it looks like another fine example of MS software engineering - maybe they gave the job to a summer student? I'll use iTunes / Media Player.

Steve C, Jun 10, 2016
  9. +1 to Groove music being junk. My music listening is served by iOS devices so I don't need it but I have similar issues. Groove will not show any album art despite being embedded in the metadata. The album art displays just fine in iTunes, windows explorer and WMP but on Groove it's missing in action save for the odd track. For that reason alone I consider it not worth bothering with. Very dissapointed with it.

Scottyboy99, Jun 10, 2016
  10. Dagwood Win User
    I gave up on Groove after three days of trying and went back to Windows Media Player....Oh joy, *Biggrin

Dagwood, Jun 11, 2016
  11. Steve C Win User
    Groove works fine with the same folders/files on my laptop. The main difference is that my desktop PC uses a local user account and my laptop a Microsoft user account.

Steve C, Jun 11, 2016
  12. Cliff S New Member
    Hey Steve, I think I'm onto something.
    It could be a Hierarchy and spelling thing.
    For Hierarchy, I noticed some of my "albums" are shown in music outside of the Folder for the musician.
    I placed it(after deleting the artists name form the title) in the artist folder.
    Example:" Slipknot-Iowa" to just "Iowa", then place the album folder in the "Slipknot" folder.
    Also some of my Slipknot's are spelled SLIPKNOT, Slipknot, SlipknoT, alot of corrections to make, oh yeah!
    Some were slopply tagged from the original CD, some from the person who copied it for me, and even some from online tagger from Amazon.

Give it a look and test it. Make some changes to a couple of albums, then rebuild your library(hopefully you have an SSD so it will go fast*Smile) and see if it shows up correctly. It also improved WMPs library.

Nice thing with MediaMonkey, it doesn't need to be too exact, and it places scattered folders & files in the proper album(but doesn't change the windows library itself*Sad).

Cliff S, Jun 11, 2016
  13. Steve C Win User

I solved it by doing the following! I'm not sure which step cracked the problem.

• Set indexing to index the content of my music files by right clicking on the top level folder, setting the option and applying to all files and sub-folders
    • Rebuilt the index via the Control Panel Indexing options
    • Deleted the folders watched in Groove
    • Deleted the Groove database at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.ZuneMusic_<random>\LocalState\Database
    • Started Groove
    • Reassigned the folders to watch

All songs now appear with the right artist & album but some album art was missing in Groove and Media Player despite being displayed correctly in iTunes. I manually updated the missing album art in Media Player and Groove then synchronised to match the Media Player album art.

Steve C, Jun 11, 2016
  14. A new groove app update just came through on store - my album art now shows! Might be worth updating to see if it improves for you guys

Scottyboy99, Jun 20, 2016
  15. Qwinn Win User
    This worked! I was playing with disabling indexing since it was interfering with my backup procedures, but it caused this. (What broke it was right clicking the drives and turning off indexing for the whole drive). I'll try some other ways of limiting the indexing. Thanks kindly.

Qwinn, Aug 13, 2016
Thema:

1. Groove Shows Unknown Artist & Unknown Album - Similar Threads - Groove Shows Unknown

2. media player shows "unknown artist" after sync

in Windows 10 Gaming
    media player shows "unknown artist" after sync: hello. i am trying to sync songs using media player to my phone and have done so for more than a decade. recently my phone and media player shows unknow artist on the phone after the sync. so now the android shows all the files as unknow artist and will not sort them...
  3. media player shows "unknown artist" after sync

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    media player shows "unknown artist" after sync: hello. i am trying to sync songs using media player to my phone and have done so for more than a decade. recently my phone and media player shows unknow artist on the phone after the sync. so now the android shows all the files as unknow artist and will not sort them...
  4. Media Player Windows 11 Unknown artist Unknown Album

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Player Windows 11 Unknown artist Unknown Album: So i am using Media Player for windows 11 i added my songsit said unknown artist and unknown albumi did everything i couldplease dont tell me to edit metadata or somethingmedia player isnt scanning the folder and songsplease help me fix this...
  5. Media Player Windows 11 Unknown artist Unknown Album

Media Player Windows 11 Unknown artist Unknown Album: So i am using Media Player for windows 11 i added my songsit said unknown artist and unknown albumi did everything i couldplease dont tell me to edit metadata or somethingmedia player isnt scanning the folder and songsplease help me fix this...
  6. Unknown album problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unknown album problem: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/xindiliu13 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mggxoh/unknown_album_problem/
  7. Groove Music Sees my SONGS but considers them all 'Unknown Artists'

Groove Music Sees my SONGS but considers them all 'Unknown Artists': Greetings, Groove Music worked wonderfully on my first PC of 3.5 years ago. I just bought a new PC and it's not working properly. Yes, I've reset the app. A few times. When it's reset and opened new -- it immediately finds my music. It imports the thousands of songs...
  8. Groove Music Unknown Album/Artist Album Art

Groove Music Unknown Album/Artist Album Art: Having this issue with Groove Music for a long time where it acquires a random album art from the music collection and assigns it to files without a specific Album or Artist name in its metadata. It's really annoying and I was wondering if anyone here knew how to fix it. I've...
  9. Groove not showing album art

Groove not showing album art: Groove isn't showing album art for 85% of the albums. I really like the live tile feature so not having album art is annoying. VLC does this fine, but I want to use Groove for the interface. The Groove app on my phone has no trouble showing album art for all of my albums....
  10. Groove music doesn't recognize Artist, Album and Cover

Groove music doesn't recognize Artist, Album and Cover: Hi, Since I changed the folder of my music, Groove hasn't been able to recognize the albums and artists. I have tried: - Deleting the groove app and redownloading it. - Checking security of the folders and mp3 files. - Resetting the database:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. groove unknown artist unknown album

2. groove not adding music in sub directories

3. groove music shows unknown artist

4. groove music unknown artist