Windows 10: group policy client service is stopped

Discus and support group policy client service is stopped in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Symptons include the Settings > Update and Security Window freezes with a blank pane, and then disappears after a while (the time before disappearance... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NotSoFast, Mar 16, 2016.

1. NotSoFast Win User

group policy client service is stopped

Symptons include the Settings > Update and Security Window freezes with a blank pane, and then disappears after a while (the time before disappearance varies.)
    Right clicks in File manager or any file related activity has long hang time, or may not recover.
    Chrome may fail to start, or start after 5 minutes or so.
    Reverting to an old restore point will sometimes remedy the situation for a limited time. Installing a new Windows update will generally cause it to reappear.

Other critical data:
    Other users suffering from related Group Policy Client Services problems have found that gpsvc is missing in the registry HKey_Local_Machine > System > CurrentControlSet > Services > gpsvc. This is present in my machine and it matches the values found on Eugene Robertus's excellent YouTube video on the problem which can be found at Windows could not connect to Group Policy Client services fix for Windows 8.1 64-bit - YouTube. Note that this video was made for Windows 8.1.

Another registry issue is a missing or corrupted value in HKey_Local_Machine >Software > Microsoft > WindowsNT > CurrentVersion > SvcHost > netsvcs. My registry includes a value for gpsvc underneath lanmanserver in the netsvcs entry.

Does anyone have any ideas about what could lead to gpsvc stopping?

:)

NotSoFast, Mar 16, 2016

2. disable Group Policy client service for Home versions without gpedit.exe?

Hi,

Thank you for replying.

The Group Policy Client (gpsvc) service is responsible for applying and enforcing computer settings set by an administrator using Group Policy. If the service is stopped or disabled, the settings will not be applied and applications and components
    will not be manageable through Group Policy. Any components or applications that depend on the Group Policy component might not be functional if the service is stopped or disabled.

Try to disable the Group Policy client service and check.

Follow the steps.

1. Press the Windows + R key from the keyboard and type "services.msc".

2. Search for Group Policy service and try to disable it.

Let us know the status of the issue so that we can assist you better.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Mar 16, 2016
  3. Couldn't connect to windows group policy service????

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing as with error: Couldn't connect to windows group policy service, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know when exactly you received this error code?

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted user profile, User Profile Service or Group Policy Client service stopped working, or Antivirus software conflicts.

I suggest you to check with the following and check if it helps.

Group Policy Client service, this service is responsible for applying settings configured by administrators for the computers and users through the Group Policy component. If the service is disabled
    the settings will be applied and applications and components will not be manageable through Group Policy.

Step 1: Stop the Group Policy Client service.

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Group Policy Client service, right click on it and click on
      Stop.
    • Restart the computer.

Step 2: Start
    the service and set it to Automatic:

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Group Policy Client service, right click on it and click on
      Properties.
    • Start the service, set
      Startup type to Automatic.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 16, 2016
  4. NotSoFast Win User

Additional poking around reveals that gpsvc depends on other system components to run successfully. The listed components are Mup and Remote Proceedure Call (RPC.) RPC has branches to DCOM Server Process Launcher, and to RPC Endpoint Launcher.
    Neither of these shows up in Services, either running or stopped.
    It seems that RPC usually results in people being unable to open photo viewers when it isn't running. I can open photo viewers.
    How can I tell if either Mup or RPC is running correctly?
    Thanks for any bit of help.

NotSoFast, Mar 17, 2016
Thema:

1. group policy client service is stopped - Similar Threads - group policy client

2. Group policy client service failed the sign in - Remote Desktop Client

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Group policy client service failed the sign in - Remote Desktop Client: Hi everyone,Wondering if someone knows how to fix "Group policy client service failed the sign in" error on Remote Desktop Client Version 1.2.313.0 64 on WIndows 10Trying to fix this for one of our Users and this problem just happened recently. Troubleshooting performed:1....
  3. Group policy client service failed the sign in - Remote Desktop Client

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Group policy client service failed the sign in - Remote Desktop Client: Hi everyone,Wondering if someone knows how to fix "Group policy client service failed the sign in" error on Remote Desktop Client Version 1.2.313.0 64 on WIndows 10Trying to fix this for one of our Users and this problem just happened recently. Troubleshooting performed:1....
  4. Group policy client service failed the sign in - Remore Desktop Client

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Group policy client service failed the sign in - Remore Desktop Client: Hi everyone,Wondering if someone knows how to fix "Group policy client service failed the sign in" error on Remote Desktop Client Version 1.2.313.0 64 on WIndows 10Trying to fix this for one of our Users and this problem just happened recently. Troubleshooting performed:1....
  5. Group Policy Client service failed the sign-in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Group Policy Client service failed the sign-in: One of our staff members started getting an error on sign in. As soon as you enter her password the error: The group policy client service failed the sign-in. Access is denied pops up. I have tried doing a system restore and it works until updates run again....
  6. Group Policy Client Services

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Group Policy Client Services: I have been locked out of logging on. This is the message I receive: The Group Policy Client service failed to sign in . Access Denied. How do I fix this?...
  7. Group Policy Client service failed Access is denied.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Group Policy Client service failed Access is denied.: My partner and I share a laptop. My account is fine but he gets this message. I am administrator. I've checked the GPSvc Group and it looks fine. Is the only solution to recreate the profile?...
  8. The Group Policy Client Service failed the sign-in

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    The Group Policy Client Service failed the sign-in: Not sure whether this is related to the recent upgrade (yesterday jan 28 2016), but I restarted my PC after after the upgrade, all was OK, I switched it off and went home. Today after I swithed my PC on the following appeared: "The Group Policy Client Service failed the...
  9. Group policy client service - cant connect

in Windows 10 Support
    Group policy client service - cant connect: Hi, I've been using my Windows 10 laptop (initially came with Win 8.0, upgraded to Win8.1 then to 10) and this after noon when I booted, Windows started OK, but when I try to log into my a/c I get the error Windows couldn't connect to the Group Policy Client service....
  10. Group Policy Client service failed the sign-in

in Windows 10 Support
    Group Policy Client service failed the sign-in: From a cold boot: it took 4-5 minutes. Disk was active, but not taking a dump (observed disk activity light). Got message "The Group Policy Client service failed the sign-in., The universal unique identifier (UUID) type is not supported." I just sat there with that message...