Windows 10: GRUB /GRUB2 load VHD from Micro SD card

Discus and support GRUB /GRUB2 load VHD from Micro SD card in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there I'm using an HP Micro server as a NAS box --it's running (currently) Centos 7 - These servers have 4 HDD bays and a DVD ODD bay -but you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Feb 10, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

GRUB /GRUB2 load VHD from Micro SD card

Hi there

I'm using an HP Micro server as a NAS box --it's running (currently) Centos 7 - These servers have 4 HDD bays and a DVD ODD bay -but you can only boot from HDD 1/2 if you have the HDD's mounted at boot time - OR you can boot from internal USB device, internal SD card or external USB2 device --there are USB 3 devices but those aren't available as boot devices.

I've connected an SSD to the SATA connector which would normally be used by the DVD device and have installed CENTOS to it and got the system to boot by writing / installing GRUB2 (/boot) to the micro SD card. This works fine -- the OS is on the SSD and is loaded by /boot on the micro SD card, So I have all 4 bays available as data drives.

What I want to know is can I create a Windows VHD system and then use GRUB or another boot loader to load the Windows OS (VHD installed on the SSD) from the micro sd card. The bootloader works really well for the centos system -- I'd love to be able to use it for windows but haven't a clue about loading VHD's from the bootloader.

Any help here appreciated greatfully.

The SD card is /dev/sdd1 in the screenshot which loads the OS (resident on an SSD). What I need is to replace the CENTOS OS with a Windows VHD. (Not for me BTW - I'm happy with CENTOS --this is for a colleague who wants Windows).

The other large file is the 9.1 TB LVM file - or storage space -- that can easily be done in Windows via storage spaces once system is converted to Windows.

(IMO my colleague should just run the Linux OS and boot up a Windows VM stored on the SSD - but it's not my machine !!).

GRUB /GRUB2 load VHD from Micro SD card [​IMG]

Cheers

jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 10, 2016
  2. Andre Da Costa, Feb 10, 2016
  3. How to mount a vhd automatically on startup

I seem to have found a solution to the problem of moving OneDrive folders to a SD Card in Windows 10.

The solution in a nutshell is to create a vhd on the SD card, unlink Onedrive from the Microsoft account.

On re-starting OneDrive you can change the location of the OneDrive folder to the vhd on the SD card! Yay!

My question is, how do I get the vhd to mount automatically when the tablet is started up, and can that be programed to happen before the OneDrive sync service starts running?

Gordon B-P, Feb 10, 2016
Thema:

GRUB /GRUB2 load VHD from Micro SD card

1. GRUB /GRUB2 load VHD from Micro SD card - Similar Threads - GRUB GRUB2 load

2. micro sd card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    micro sd card: when i plug in my micro sd card via usb adapter, the notification sound happens. but when i go into 'my computer', it's just 'removable disk M', and can't be opened, saying please insert a disk. if i remove the micro sd card then that 'removable disk M' disappears altogether,...
  3. micro sd card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    micro sd card: when i plug in my micro sd card via usb adapter, the notification sound happens. but when i go into 'my computer', it's just 'removable disk M', and can't be opened, saying please insert a disk. if i remove the micro sd card then that 'removable disk M' disappears altogether,...
  4. micro sd card

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. micro sd card

6. Micro sd card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Micro sd card: I bought a NUIFLASH 128gb micro card plus adapter. My laptop won't reconize the sd card. How can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/micro-sd-card/211f80ed-4190-4aa7-838a-5cc0978618ed
  7. micro SD Card

micro SD Card: windows 10 won't find a micro SD Card How to fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/micro-sd-card/cd22d18b-c247-427d-8981-e9cccc253c13
  8. micro sd card

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    micro sd card: Hi. I have a Lenovo ideapad 330. what is the best micro sd card I can buy. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/micro-sd-card/fd143a53-6490-41ac-a9e0-68985f3ecbd4"
  9. micro sd cards

micro sd cards: so ive recently discovered a problem on my windows 10 machine that it doesnt correctly read large micro sd cards, but does correctly pick up smaller size ones. i also have a laptop that ive check, which correctly disaplys the large mirco sd card tho. itll be nice to know why...
  10. micro sd card

micro sd card: how can you play a video from the micro sd card? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_music/micro-sd-card/6b3649a7-4998-4708-889e-17393ae74f39

Users found this page by searching for:

1. grub2 microsd

2. grub2 can not detect microsd