Windows 10: GSOD at boot, before boot menu was shown

Discus and support GSOD at boot, before boot menu was shown in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My first ever GSOD at boot yesterday morning, would be interesting to know what caused it. See attached DM Log Collector file. Thanks in advance,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Kari, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Kari Win User

GSOD at boot, before boot menu was shown

My first ever GSOD at boot yesterday morning, would be interesting to know what caused it. See attached DM Log Collector file.

Thanks in advance,

:)

Kari, Jul 4, 2017
  2. Rob Bote Win User

Windows 10 constant BSOD/GSOD and reboots. Unable to boot from CD. Error in "Page fault in nonpaged area" in volsnap.sys.

Walked into my home office this morning and found my Windows 10 pc rebooting. No problem, it's set to automatically install updates and reboot. But then it BSODs. It automatically reboots, then GSODs (Green Screen of Death). The PC cycles between BSOD, reboot,
    GSOD, reboot. The error on each SOD is "Page fault in nonpaged area" in volsnap.sys.

I tried to boot from my recovery disk, from a new Win10 DVD, and from a USB with no success. I receive a SOD before it can boot from any media.

What can I do now?

Rob Bote, Jul 4, 2017
  3. j1mgr Win User
    2 minutes black screen before Welcome menu at boot

Configuration : HP probook 4730, Video combo AMD Radeon 7400M / Intel HD graphics, SSD

Boot time was less than 30 seconds on win7 x64, but close to 3 minutes after migrating to Win10

It took me 2 days to locate and fix this problem. And it was located in the drivers for the AMD Radeon 7400M device.

How I fixed it :

- Go to HP support & download and loaded the latest available version, which was 2 years old and for Win 8.1 x64 (version 13.xx in place of version 15.xx).

- From Control Panel/Device list, suppress the AMD Radeon 7400M device

- From Control panel/Programs , uninstall the AMD Catalyst software & drivers

- Now install the downloaded HP version (for win8.1 …)

- Reboot …

- Boot was ok, no delay. After reboot, a Microsoft generic driver is installed, then it is replaced by the previously installed HP one.

- Reboot again,

- Problem seems to be fixed.

Since this video combo is common to a large number of portable PC’s, it seems Microsoft wasn’t testing correctly this config …

Edit : After some days, Windows update was reinstalling AMD version 15.7.1 revision 1004. But this 4th revision of AMD drivers wasn't solving the issue. Still a 2 minutes black screen at boot ...

Also i changed system configuration to disable automatic updates for drivers ...

Edit#2 : At the end i switched to the leshcatlabs set of compatible drivers ...

Running fine but :

- complicated to install

- some ads software is imbed in

j1mgr, Jul 4, 2017
  4. GSOD at boot, before boot menu was shown

Hi,

This is the analysis result from your BSOD dmp:

Code: 0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (4.07.2017 06:47:06) [Windows 10] CAUSED BY: ntoskrnl srvnet.sys ***** Invalid * Server Network driver (Windows System File) PROCESS: ntoskrnl.wrong.symbols.exe Usual causes: Device driver[/quote]
    Code: Machine name: AGM-W10PRO01 Chassis Type Notebook System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. System Model: X751LD[/quote]
    This points to the network driver on your ASUS Notebook to be the culprit.

FIX here: BSOD, everytime i watch videos on youtube, DPC watchdog violation - Windows 10 Forums

BSODHunter, Jul 4, 2017
  5. Kari Win User
    Thanks. If this happens more often I know now what to do.

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

GSOD at boot, before boot menu was shown

1. GSOD at boot, before boot menu was shown - Similar Threads - GSOD boot before

2. GSOD/BSOD boot device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GSOD/BSOD boot device: So removed all my other hard disks and attempted this. When I turn on my pc it takes 5ish mins and then I get the GSOD and a message saying boot device inaccessible. It will then restart and try loading the auto repair/tools and it takes 5ish mins then I get a BSOD saying...
  3. GSOD/BSOD boot device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    GSOD/BSOD boot device: So removed all my other hard disks and attempted this. When I turn on my pc it takes 5ish mins and then I get the GSOD and a message saying boot device inaccessible. It will then restart and try loading the auto repair/tools and it takes 5ish mins then I get a BSOD saying...
  4. Boot menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot menu: Hello. Please help me troubleshoot my lenovo laptop. This continuously appears. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-menu/7cdac74e-14fe-48a0-a020-1cc1365101b3
  5. Why is my samsung SSD shown as HDD in boot menu?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why is my samsung SSD shown as HDD in boot menu?: [IMG] I bought 1TB SSD but it shows as SATA HDD here. Is it actually SSD or HDD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-my-samsung-ssd-shown-as-hdd-in-boot-menu/a0ac86aa-4ed8-4c55-96f5-9d76743016bf
  6. Laptop not booting after GSOD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop not booting after GSOD: Yesterday, I updated my laptop and today i turned it on, logged in, and didn't do anything. A couple minutes later, I got a GSOD I'm on a Windows Insider build and I couldn't get the error code fast enough. Since then my laptop has been stuck on the loading screen and doesn't...
  7. Boot Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Boot Menu: I was working on an assignment for school, and I suddenly couldn’t interact with the Word tab anymore. I thought that the computer was just freezing or messed up, or something like that. I shut down the computer, then when I tried to turn it back on, the Windows Boot Menu...
  8. Boot menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Boot menu: [IMG] Im having problems getting out of of this boot system menu I don't know how to get out and go back to repair man you do any one of you know how to get out of it because I am trying to fix my laptop because it won't let me auto repair...
  9. Boot Menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Boot Menu: [ATTACH]I'm getting to the point where I might just give up on this laptop at first I was just simply trying to reset pc then that didn't work so I went to youtube to fix that after that my laptop ended up doing to automatic repair thing and I couldn't go back to my desk top...
  10. Dual Boot No Boot Menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot No Boot Menu: Ladies and Gentlemen I am in a new arena and need some help. I have been in the INI and BCD Arena but not the EFI MBR. I decided to go with a new motherboard and AMD RYZEN CPU. I set up the new system and moved my hard drives with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and Windows 8.1 Pro...