Windows 10: Windows Admin Center - Manage Users and Groups

Discus and support Windows Admin Center - Manage Users and Groups in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Windows Admin Center - Manage Users and Groups Windows 10 user and group management can be done in Settings > Accounts. In addition, user... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by GaryHansen2, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Windows Admin Center - Manage Users and Groups

How to: Windows Admin Center - Manage Users and Groups

Windows 10 user and group management can be done in Settings > Accounts. In addition, user management can be done using Command Prompt, PowerShell, and in Local Users and Groups (lusrmgr.exe, not available in Home edition).

The easiest method to manage Windows 10 user accounts and groups is to do it in Windows Admin Center (WAC).

This tutorial will show how to manage users and groups in WAC.

Contents [/i] WAC User Management

[table][tr][td]Part One:[/td] [td]Add, delete or edit Users[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Part Two:[/td] [td]Add, delete or edit Groups[/td] [/tr] [/table]
    To install and setup Windows Admin Center, see tutorial: Windows Admin Center - Centrally manage all your Windows 10 PCs

Part One [/i] Add, delete or edit Users
    1.1 Run WAC, open your PC by clicking its name. Select Local Users & Groups:

Windows Admin Center - Manage Users and Groups [​IMG]

(Click to enlarge.)

1.2 On main pane, you will see list of current user accounts. Select a user, and select action from menu list. To add a user account, click New user, enter username, password and confirm password (required). All other information is optional:

Notice that name (user profile name) and full name (display name) don't have to be the same. Name is what system uses for that user's profile and profile folder, full name is how user is shown in sign-in screen, Settings app and so on.

1.3 As is default in Windows, new accounts are always standard account. You cannot create a Microsoft account in WAC; if you want to add a user with Microsoft account, create the account as local, and when user signs in first time, he / she can switch to Microsoft account.

The profile and profile folder will remain as set in WAC, when user switches to Microsoft account. Nice workaround to avoid sometimes really strange 5 character acronyms used for profile if account is created as Microsoft account.

1.4 To change account type or add user to other groups, click Manage Membership and select groups this user should belong. Unselect a group to remove user from selected group:

1.5 Select Delete User to completely remove a local or Microsoft account user from computer.

Notice that you cannot delete system accounts (Administrator, DefaultAccount, Guest, WDAGUtilityAccount):

1.6 Use Change Password only to change passwords for built-in admin and local accounts! Microsoft account passwords should be changed online at https://account.microsoft.com

1.7 Edit user only allows to change user's full (display) name and account description:

Existing accounts cannot be disabled / enabled in WAC.

Part Two [/i] Add, delete or edit Groups
    2.1 On main pane, select Groups to see a list of all current user groups. Select a group to see members of that group on Details pane:

2.2 You can add or remove users in groups on Details pane, basically the same action than when managing user membership in step 1.4

2.3 You can create any number of new groups. A practical example: Let's say you want some shared network resources on your home network only to be available to selected users. You can create a group for this purpose:

2.4 When group has been created, add selected users to it:

It's now easy to share a network drive only with this group:

That's it this time!

Kari

:)

GaryHansen2, Jul 22, 2018
  2. Matt18 Win User

admin rights keep disappearing!?!!

Hi guys,

I am actually having a problem at work that our IT department hasn't been able to figure out. I am supposed to be a member of the admin group. We are on a domain. The problem is that everytime I reboot the computer I loose my admin rights(no longer in the administrator group) and just become a normal user again. I have tried googling this and didn't get to many results.
    I believe IT is just giving me local admin rights, not admin rights for the whole domain.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: It is on Windows XP Pro.

Matt18, Oct 27, 2019
  3. hooked Win User
    Show Local users and Groups

Hey Brink, I was just looking at groups in netplwiz today and I noticed that my user account is just in the Admin group now, it used to be in Users and Admin. I have home, so I can't change it. I don't know how it changed. I guess there's nothing I can do about it. Will it be a problem?
    I'm tempted to downgrade to my 8.1 pro and go to 10 pro.

hooked, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Namslas90 Win User

Windows Admin Center - Manage Users and Groups

admin password?

You can reset the Admin Password using Windows XP repair; See Here for step by step.

*Toast :toast:

Namslas90, Oct 27, 2019
  5. kokomojo Win User
    Admin account and my account on Windows 10 sign-in

When I boot up my Windows 10 desktop, the sign-in screen at the center of the display says, "Administrator" and below that it says that the password is incorrect.

In the bottom left-hand corner there are two listings: "admin" and "myname." I click on "myname" and then at the center of the screen is says my name and below that there's a blank box to enter the password. I enter my Windows password and all is well.

But I don't want to have to do this every time I boot up the computer. I want it to display my name right away and not "Administrator" which I did not create. The myname account is an administrator account.

I've gone into Settings and Accounts and there is only the "myname" account listed. I don't see any "Administrator" or "admin" account.

Some posts have suggested going into Computer Management and clicking on "Groups and Users" or "Users," but there are no such listings under Computer Management in Windows 10.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

kokomojo, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Law-II Win User
    Windows Media Center Live TV Help

Hi

go here - Hauppauge | Page Not Found select "Windows Media Center install" tab

look at - Setting up your TV tuner in Windows 7 Media Center - select download (will open a pdf with screen by screen instructions)
    "Download
    Here is a screen by screen view of the setup of Windows Media Center. It was based on the WinTV-HVR-1600, but the setup with other WinTV-HVR products will be similar."

Follow the guide stage by stage

let the TPU community know at what "step" Media Center gets stuck at Example: step 1, step 2

nb: It may be to do with your zip code and or post code not being entered

In regard to your DVD Rom drive - go to -control panel/device manager/DVD/CD-ROM drives -make a note of the make and model number Example: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-215D ATA Device - highlight the device you have installed -press right mouse button-select properties-details-property and select Install Date from the drop down list and let us know this.

atb (all the best)

Law-II

Law-II, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Windows Admin Center - Manage Users and Groups

1. Windows Admin Center - Manage Users and Groups - Similar Threads - Admin Center Manage

2. "Local Users And Groups" in Computer management not visible.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Local Users And Groups" in Computer management not visible.: I saw many "Hacked Backdoor Accounts" on YouTube. Just for my curiosity, I followed their instructions. However now I am concerned as the "Computer Managment" app does not show the "Local Users And Groups" option in the list.I also tried netplwiz Advance User Management but...
  3. "Local Users And Groups" in Computer management not visible.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Local Users And Groups" in Computer management not visible.: I saw many "Hacked Backdoor Accounts" on YouTube. Just for my curiosity, I followed their instructions. However now I am concerned as the "Computer Managment" app does not show the "Local Users And Groups" option in the list.I also tried netplwiz Advance User Management but...
  4. Need help with Microsoft Endpoint Manager admin center

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help with Microsoft Endpoint Manager admin center: Hi! I use intune - Microsoft Endpoint Manager admin center and sometime I have some problem when I import a windows device. Some of the apps are not installed or just waiting for installation forever. Why is this happening and how can I let's say force the apps to install on...
  5. where to find Windows Admin Center users profile?

in Windows 10 Customization
    where to find Windows Admin Center users profile?: Hi, I am using the latest version of WAC version 2103. The problem is: after I have imported some connections from csv file, my profile has crashed and the webpage keeps loading and does not let me work at all. [ATTACH] [ATTACH] I opened a ticket at Microsoft but the...
  6. Group Policy Applied to users with Admin Rights?

Group Policy Applied to users with Admin Rights?: Hello. If I create a group policy to restrict access to a single app or to restrict access to Control Panel, is that policy applied to all USERS including those with Admin rights? I assume that the administrator type account used to create the policy is NOT restricted. Or...
  7. Windows Admin Center

Windows Admin Center: Hi, when I try to connect to my server, I get this error Message: "Connecting to remote server ctwo9324s.catwellone.com failed with the following error message : WinRM cannot complete the operation. Verify that the specified computer name is valid, that the computer is...
  8. Managing owner, user, groups

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Managing owner, user, groups: Hi, I find hard to understand my “default” settings on the control privacy of users and groups set in my machine, there’s like 10 users, some with more privileges than me(an S-bunch or numbers with lots of permission intrigued me) and also lots of groups that I didn’t set, is...
  9. How to manage Local Users and Groups using Windows PowerShell

in Windows 10 News
    How to manage Local Users and Groups using Windows PowerShell: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows PowerShell can also be used to manage Local Users and Groups. This affirms to the principle of Windows 10 being a multiuser operating system. There are other GUI based utilities to manage Local Users and Groups. But some System [...] This post How to...
  10. Installing Windows Admin Center

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows Admin Center: When trying to install Windows Admin Center 1809, the install process fails with the following error message. Windows 10 is up to date and running 'Import-Module Microsoft.PowerShell.LocalAccounts' does not help....