Windows 10: Guest OSs In VMWare Workstation 12 Crash or Freeze

Discus and support Guest OSs In VMWare Workstation 12 Crash or Freeze in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hello all, Im having an interesting issue where it seems like any guest OS I install into VMWare crashes or freezes shortly after being powered on.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by ArazelEternal, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Guest OSs In VMWare Workstation 12 Crash or Freeze

Hello all,

Im having an interesting issue where it seems like any guest OS I install into VMWare crashes or freezes shortly after being powered on. Right now I have a Windows 8.1 x64 VM and a Fedora Workstation 25 x64 VM and they both lock up on me. I have no idea whats going on with them. I dont get any error messages or anything to go on.

Any ideas?

:)

ArazelEternal, Mar 30, 2017

2. Cannot make use of LifeCam Studio in Desktop under Windows 10 ? (in VMWare Workstation 12)

I know what happen now. Since I use the camera inside VMWare Workstation 12 i.e. I install Win 10 inside VMWare Workstation 12 and connect the lifecam studio to the guest Win 10.

When I connect the cam to host Win 10, everything work fine. My question now is:

why the camera app in the guest Win 10 work properly but the translator app not ? I understand if both app not able to use the camera, but why camera app work fine in guest Win 10 but translator app not ? Thanks.

Regds

LAM Chi-fung, Mar 30, 2017
  3. Windows 10 bugcheck every few hours with event id 1001

Hi, thanks for the reply. I ran the system file checker as instructed and it stated that no issues were found.

To clarify the hardware:

PC is an Intel NUC5i7RYH

with memory installed HyperX 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3L

and storage of Samsung 500GB 850 EVO M.2 SSD.

This is a new PC with a clean installation of Windows 10 Pro.

To answer your questions:

1/

When the crashes occur the PC was only running a guest VM in VMware Workstation 12. The guest vm had been running for approx 7hours without an issue. The guest vm is hosting a web server only.

When the error occurred the PC shows a blue screen and states that a serious error is being recovered and the PC will then restart. The PC seems to get stuck and does not restart so I power it off.

2/

I have installed one software package called VMware Workstation 12; the latest available version.

I had also installed Avast antivirus but have removed this now to see if this was the problem.

i have updated the Intel NUC bios to the latest available version.

Any ideas?

thanks,Paul

Paul_Edwards72, Mar 30, 2017
  4. pparks1 Win User

Guest OSs In VMWare Workstation 12 Crash or Freeze

Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall VMWare Workstation 12.x?

pparks1, Mar 30, 2017
  5. I only just installed VMWare. The first two VMs I installed are mentioned.

6. pparks1 Win User
    Interesting, I support VMware at work and have used VMware Workstation myself for years and haven't noticed the problem that you are seeing before.

So, they just stop responding and you have to physically power them off?

pparks1, Mar 30, 2017
  7. Yeah. They lock up, stop responding. The X session in Fedora will crash and restart. Would it matter that I have VMWare installed to the OS drive but the VMs stored and running from the Data drive? I cant imagine that would make a difference, but its the only thing I can think of.

8. pparks1 Win User

No, that won't make a difference at all. I usually have about 5-6 platters in my VM boxes, and spread out my VM's?

Are you seeing anything in the Event Viewer on your host machine running VMWare?

pparks1, Mar 30, 2017
  9. Im not finding anything under the event viewer that seems to pertain to VMWare. I wonder if Malwarebytes isnt messing with it somehow? Or Avira?

10. pparks1 Win User
    Do they freeze at the same point each time? Or is it random?

pparks1, Mar 30, 2017
  11. It seems kinda random.

12. pparks1 Win User
    What hardware version are you using for the VM's? If possible, create a new VM with a lower VM hardware version and see what happens.

pparks1, Mar 30, 2017
  13. Guest OSs In VMWare Workstation 12 Crash or Freeze

I may do that if I cant get this figured out. Either that, or use Hyper-V that is built into Windows 10 Pro that I have installed on my Precision laptop. Ive used it before and it works very well, I just dont like that it doesnt seem to support dynamic display scaling for the guest OS like VMWare does. If it does, I have yet to find a way to use it or enable it.

14. Tried setting it to VMWare 11 compatability instead of the latest. Doesnt seem to have made a difference.

15. Update: I created the two VMs I was trying to create before in VMWare in Hyper-V. They seem to be working fine within Hyper-V where as they became unstable in VMWare. Have no idea why thats happening. Maybe its something about my hardware config that VMWare doesnt like. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Thema:

1. Guest OSs In VMWare Workstation 12 Crash or Freeze - Similar Threads - Guest OSs VMWare

2. Announcing: VMware Workstation 16 and Fusion 12

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing: VMware Workstation 16 and Fusion 12: Quick Overview Building on over 20 years of local virtualization excellence, the latest releases of our favorite virtualization tools deliver some amazing new capabilities for IT Admins, for Developers, and for everyone else. Top of the list is bringing Kubernetes and...
  3. Announcing: VMware Workstation 16 and Fusion 12

in Windows 10 Support
    Announcing: VMware Workstation 16 and Fusion 12: Quick Overview Building on over 20 years of local virtualization excellence, the latest releases of our favorite virtualization tools deliver some amazing new capabilities for IT Admins, for Developers, and for everyone else. Top of the list is bringing Kubernetes and...
  4. Guest Operating Systems on Vmware Workstation

in Windows 10 Customization
    Guest Operating Systems on Vmware Workstation: I have 64-bit Windows 10 on my computer. The CPU is Intel B960 no virtualization. I want to run 32-bit Windows 10 on Vmware Workstation 15. Every time I try to do it Vmware Workstation informs me that... 'This host does not support Intel VT-x. This host does not support...
  5. VMware workstation 12 player

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMware workstation 12 player: I have used Hyper V mainly, but have given the latest VMware a go. So far I'm liking it. Something it does that Hyper V didn't is allow me to connect USB device. I have not figured out the setting so I can see my host drives though. How do I enable that? [img] 23361
  6. vmware workstation 12 out now - built for W10

vmware workstation 12 out now - built for W10: Hi there VMWARE users - Workstation release 12 is now available - specially built for W10 VMware Workstation: Multiple Operating Systems Linux, Windows 8 More | United States Cheers jimbo 19848
  7. VMware Player 12 crash

VMware Player 12 crash: So I decided to dig out some old operating system install disks to play with on my PC. However, when the OS install requires a reboot, the VM breaks and gives endless C++ runtime errors indicating something in regards to "pure functions", no error number visible on screen. To...
  8. Configure VMware Workstation

Configure VMware Workstation: Hi, Based on a scenario, I have queries as following. VMware Workstation 12 Pro is installed in a Windows 10 Desktop. As guest OS, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 and Windows Server 2012 R2 are installed in VMware Workstation. I have to do a setup for networking...
  9. Vmware update (workstation) 12..5.5 + vmplayer available

Vmware update (workstation) 12..5.5 + vmplayer available: Hi there VMware users an update both for Windows and Linux hosts is available - workstation 12.5.5 Cheers jimbo 80414
  10. vmware workstation 12.5.2

vmware workstation 12.5.2: Hi folks If you are running Linux Hosts this version of VMWARE workstation (and similar release of vmplayer) seems to have fixed problems of "wobbly mouse" etc -- also when scrolling inside the GUEST in windowed mode --I.E Windowed mode WITHIN the guest the scroll is...