Windows 10: Guest sharing under Win10 doesn't work if signed in with MSA

Discus and support Guest sharing under Win10 doesn't work if signed in with MSA in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This has irritated me for a while, and I've seen others affected by it. I share folders for Guest access that I want to be able to connect to from any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by farmers, Jul 25, 2016.

1. farmers Win User

Guest sharing under Win10 doesn't work if signed in with MSA

This has irritated me for a while, and I've seen others affected by it. I share folders for Guest access that I want to be able to connect to from any computer in the house (Windows/Android/whatever) without any password or login details at the client end. The folders are all set up with full 'Everyone' access under 'security'. So long as I'm signed in (on the 'server' end) as a 'local' user, everything works just like under previous Windows versions - as long as the Guest user has been enabled. However, if I use a new-fangled Microsoft Account to sign in on this pc, none of the shared folders can be accessed any more, from any machine, whether that machine is Windows or Android. I've seen people surmise in the past (when they too have been affected by this 'feature') that being signed in to a Microsoft Account somehow causes network security to work more like it's a domain machine.

So, basically, I just wondered if anyone has had any bright ideas about this 'feature' and maybe even a way to bypass it from this end, so it just works as intended at the client end?

:)

farmers, Jul 25, 2016
  2. JoeNamco Win User

Problems of Windows Store

Is your version of Win10 activated and are you signed in with a MSA account

JoeNamco, Jul 25, 2016
  3. GHayden Win User
    Cannot convert Local user account to Microsoft user account and install latest updates in Windows 10.

Original Title: WINDOWS 10 & MS ACCOUNT

I have seen multiple posts here in the MS forum and elsewhere, but nothing seems to apply. I am currently running Build 10240 on an HP desktop PC. I know this is an old build, and that's part of my problem, Win10 won't update.

I have seen indications that I need to be logged into my MSA for Win10 to update. I updated to Win10 using a local account. I attempted to create a new account and had to use CMD> net user /add. I was able to create a new account, but neither of my 2
    accounts (admin privileges) will let me "sign in with a MSA instead".

Anything I have tried to link to the MSA results in a blank new window (black like a CMD Prompt window) that appears for ~10 sec and then disappears. I have attempted Settings > Accounts > Sign in with a MSA instead; Settings > Accounts > Add an account; Settings
    > Accounts > Add a work or school account; Cortana > Sign In; Settings >Updates > Advanced > Get Insider Preview builds; and several others. Nothing will allow me to log into my MSA. If I open a browser (Edge doesn't work!), I can access my MSA without
    any issues.

At this point, I am leaning toward rebuilding the bloody box and going back to Win 7!

GHayden, Jul 25, 2016
Thema:

Guest sharing under Win10 doesn't work if signed in with MSA

1. Guest sharing under Win10 doesn't work if signed in with MSA - Similar Threads - Guest sharing under

2. Sudoku not letting me sign in under name just guest.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sudoku not letting me sign in under name just guest.: I still can't sign into Microsoft sudoku and I sent a problem request almost 2 weeks ago. I'm signed into Microsoft acct, signed into Xbox and still it only comes up as a guest and will not sign me in under my gaming name Cameragirl52. My internet is good, I can get...
  3. Sudoku not letting me sign in under name just guest.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sudoku not letting me sign in under name just guest.: I still can't sign into Microsoft sudoku and I sent a problem request almost 2 weeks ago. I'm signed into Microsoft acct, signed into Xbox and still it only comes up as a guest and will not sign me in under my gaming name Cameragirl52. My internet is good, I can get...
  4. MSA - Virtualization enabled but still not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MSA - Virtualization enabled but still not working: Hello,I have problems running MSA on my device.I have a Intel Core i5 Processor, which is capable of Virtualization. It is enabled in the BIOS as can be seen in the screenshot cmd.The Virtual Machine Platform is also enabled Turn features on or off box.Still, MSA is not...
  5. sign in to guest account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sign in to guest account: I have set up a guest account form my great grand daughter who is 4. It worked fine for a few days but now the small window where you type in password will not accept text; the cursor just flashes. I can sign into my account with no trouble. I have not tried any fixes as yet....
  6. sign in to guest account

in Windows 10 Customization
    sign in to guest account: I have set up a guest account form my great grand daughter who is 4. It worked fine for a few days but now the small window where you type in password will not accept text; the cursor just flashes. I can sign into my account with no trouble. I have not tried any fixes as yet....
  7. sign in to guest account

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. how to sign out MSA of built-in admin

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    how to sign out MSA of built-in admin: Hey guys, So I enabled built-in admin and decided to sign in with my MSA Nightmare starts, I cannot sign out. Yeah there's no sign out option I have contacted MS support team and they say I have to do clean installation. Any other idea please? Dont think I can survive...
  9. Win10 PasswordRequired doesn't work on new Guest LID

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Win10 PasswordRequired doesn't work on new Guest LID: Using this post: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html I created a Guest LID (logon ID) in APR (called it GuestX). However, a few months ago, it demanded I enter a password. At that time, as a temporary circumvention, I just used CP/User Accounts to...
  10. Samba share doesn't work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Samba share doesn't work: Hi, I have Vbox with Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS installed on it. My host is Win 10 (Version 10.0.10240 Build 10240). I've tried to get my samba share working for the whole day. I asked in #Windows, #ubuntu, #samba, #php, everywhere. I've googled and googled and googled.......