Windows 10: Guest/visitor account, block access to folders on partition D:/

Discus and support Guest/visitor account, block access to folders on partition D:/ in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; So tomorrow we're leaving on vacation for a month and we're pretty much completly rented out our apartment on airbnb for that time. I am preparing my... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by dumble, Dec 12, 2016.

1. dumble Win User

Guest/visitor account, block access to folders on partition D:/

So tomorrow we're leaving on vacation for a month and we're pretty much completly rented out our apartment on airbnb for that time. I am preparing my PC with guest/visitor account so the guests can use the PC to look something up on the internet or watch movie and play some music from my music/video folders. I always have 2 partitions on windows, C:/ (on SSD) for windows/apps/games and D:/ for data. Its the first thing I do after fresh install is move all document/picture/video/music folder location to my D:/ partition which on my 2 TB Harddisk.

So now I made this visitor account using the elevate prompt with this guide:
    Guest Account - Add in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Tutorials

Yet in that visitor I still have access to all folders on D:/ partition, including documents/pictures folders. They can have access (like I said) to downloads, video and music folder. But not to my pictures and document folders. How do disable access to those folders?

Guest/visitor account, block access to folders on partition D:/ [​IMG]

:)

dumble, Dec 12, 2016

2. An unexpected account during log in but can't see/delete that from user account

This happens because you renamed the Guest account to "Visitor". "Guest" is the real account name, "Visitor" is the nickname.

Frederik Long, Dec 12, 2016
  3. i-Panda Win User
    Can I turn the guest account back on? How? Can't find the button!

This is as close as you are likely to get to the Guest a/c of old, and it's worked for me on several Win 10 devices:-

Firstly, open an elevated command prompt by going to Start menu/All Programs/Windows System, right-click Command Prompt, select More, select Run as administrator, then;

• Enter "net user Visitor /add /active:yes" (ignore quotes) to create a new account. You can replace “Visitor” with whatever name you wish, but be sure to change it for every command on this list. “Guest” is reserved by the Windows system.
    • Enter "net user Visitor *" (ignore quotes) to create a password for the account.
    • Press Enter key twice to create a blank password.
    • Enter "net localgroup users Visitor /delete" (ignore quotes) to remove Visitor from the regular Users group.
    • Enter "net localgroup guests Visitor /add" (ignore quotes) to add Visitor to the guests user group.
    You now you have a brand new "guest" account! This account will have the same privileges as the old guest accounts, but, I am told, that it does not wipe settings and local files on logout.

(Super User via Laptop Mag gratefully acknowledged)

i-Panda, Dec 12, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

spunk, Dec 12, 2016
  5. dumble Win User
    So when you restrict access to drives, it is for the whole drive. Ok that's fine, no movies/music for airbnb'rs. But how can I disable access to the D:/ partition only for visitor account? I can only access the group policy editor when I am logged in as administrator (under my own username), and now my own user cannot access D:/ anymore unless I change it back again. For the time being its ok, because I wont be home now anyway, but is there a way to only block it for the visitor account?

dumble, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Guest/visitor account, block access to folders on partition D:/ - Similar Threads - Guest visitor account

2. "Protected folder access blocked"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "Protected folder access blocked": Hi everybody, or Hola Todos. Since middle of last year, I have Rcvd a message informing me of a certain "Blocking" <or> "Protected folder access blocked" and I'm wondering if I need to concern myself with that or not? It's happened about two dozen times now; seven times just...
  3. Protected folder access blocked

Protected folder access blocked: After updating to the latest version of Windows 10, I got a notification of "protected folder access blocked". I don't know what this means or what I should do....
  4. Guest account folder recovery?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Guest account folder recovery?: So after the update guest account disappeared.. I did the " /active yes " prompt and guest account shows up , but when i click on it it goes away and brings me back to the user screen my name and sons names show up I had saved some things onto the guest account because it...
  5. folder access blocked...

folder access blocked...: i am very sad to say this that i ran 1click.cmd program for activating MS office but then i got notification daily that folder access blocked conhost.exe,msoia.exe,googleupdate.exe,vpnupdate.exe,avbugreport.exe,cmd.exe,soffice.bin, i got one by one notification of these all...
  6. Windows has Blocked unauthenticated guest access

Windows has Blocked unauthenticated guest access: I have a Music server conected to by network via ethernet cable but since the last Windows update 2004 I cannot access this drive any longer to copy files over to it from my PC, Has any one got any ideas as I have tried the Lanman workstation settings but this does not work...
  7. Controlled Folder Access Blocked

Controlled Folder Access Blocked: Since I installed the latest feature upgrade a few days ago, I have been getting constant messages entitled "Controlled Folder Access Blocked" and I have not been able to make changes to Excel files. I have had these messages for Excel, Explorer, MS Edge, Chrome files. I...
  8. Access blocked to folders/files.

in Windows 10 Support
    Access blocked to folders/files.: For some reason I am running into instances where I cannot open some random folders or files, copy/paste. I've followed every procedure I could find but kept running into various blocks. Windows 10, v1903 [img] [img] [img] [img] [img] 143980
  9. Protected Folder Access Blocked

Protected Folder Access Blocked: Your administrator has blocked this action. App or process blocked: igxpun.exe. Blocked by: Controlled folder access. Is this the legitimate Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver? Thank you....
  10. Stuck with a guest account - can't access admin account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Stuck with a guest account - can't access admin account: I am trying to change my user account from guest to admin as many things aren't working right. I have tried cmd -> netplwiz and it asks me for an admin password, but gives me no box to type it in. Even if it did, I don't know what the admin password is. I have two accounts...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can i block d partition for guest