Windows 10: Gurus -- overhead of an IDLE W10 VM on a HOST system - any ideas

Discus and support Gurus -- overhead of an IDLE W10 VM on a HOST system - any ideas in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi there just a question to any performance gurus If you have a decent amount of RAM and adequate HDD space is there any noticeable overhead of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jimbo45, Apr 22, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Gurus -- overhead of an IDLE W10 VM on a HOST system - any ideas

Hi there
    just a question to any performance gurus

If you have a decent amount of RAM and adequate HDD space is there any noticeable overhead of having an idle W10 VM - or should one shut it down when finished with. By Idle I mean that a user is logged on but not doing anything.

I can't seem to get any decent stats on this. I know also that the latest versions of vmware workstation allow you to run the vm in the background too.

I actually like the idea of running VM's in the background and then logging on via RDP or VNC but would be really interested if these idle vm's cause any noticeable load on the HOST system. - Any measuring tools out there for this.

connected via KRDP from CENTOS -- VM running in background normally

Gurus -- overhead of an IDLE  W10 VM on a HOST system  - any ideas [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 22, 2016

2. purchase license upgrade from windows 7 to 10 since if I upgrade now, VM will run only in Windows 10 host PC

So you are sure if upgrade now to w10 ... there will be No migration problem of w10 VM to the Mac host from windows host... correct?

Lse123polis, Apr 22, 2016
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Going from 64bit to 32bit

Running in a VM is a great idea. I've done that, but not with an enterprise-level application like NV1. The overhead of running the VM on top of an OS may be a limiting factor. A DOS hypervisor running on bare metal might be better, but now I'm going beyond
    my depth.

BulldogXX, Apr 22, 2016
  4. Cliff S New Member

Jimbo, doesn't Task Manager or Resource Monitor do it for you?
    I have 3 VM's going on it the background on Hyper-V(latest insider build, Ubuntu(16.04), and Windows Server 2016 TP5) idling now(dynamic memory on) and no real overhead.
    You're using VMWare? But the principal should be the same.

Cliff S, Apr 22, 2016
  5. Kari Win User
    Exactly. Your screenshots reveal that you have the idle vm windows closed at the moment (no vmconnect.exe processes running), meaning that the overhead is only the RAM assigned to them, no other host resources being used at the moment.

6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Thanks folks.

I've loads of RAM on this particular machine (32 GB) so not a problem -- I'm currently in the process of switching away from vmware at the moment but the principle is the same. Also 480 GB SSD and 4 X 4 TB HDD's so no problem with Disk space either.

Thanks.

@Cliff S

BTW what do you think of Server 2016 - apart from Licensing issues I've heard good things about it.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 22, 2016
  7. Cliff S New Member
    I need to learn a bit more on how to use a server, but... I like the desktop UI it has, being less advanced on server stuff, and it installed blitz fast. I put it on a internal spinner, where as my Ubuntu & Insider build are on a 120GB SSD, but it still runs well and boots fast in a VM.

Cliff S, Apr 22, 2016
  8. pete1208 Win User

I use VMWare Workstation Pro. It has an option to run background VM's with low priority. Works great when my developer vm isn't in use.

pete1208, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Gurus -- overhead of an IDLE W10 VM on a HOST system - any ideas - Similar Threads - Gurus overhead IDLE

2. W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's: Hi folks So far got HYPER-V to run on a Virtual machine creating a lower level W10 VM - The W2K19 machine is itself a VM running on under KVM/QEMU So far only got Gen 1 to work -- with Gen 2 machine starts but no video - will look at that later but here's the Gen 1 VM So...
  3. Any Network Gurus here -- What is this !!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Any Network Gurus here -- What is this !!: deleted -- posted duplicate --keyboard !!!!!! 154103
  4. W10 Host with Debian 10 (buster) VM anyone yet

W10 Host with Debian 10 (buster) VM anyone yet: Hi folks Anybody tried the recently released DEBIAN 10 (Buster) as a VM with a Windows 10 Host yet. Interested to know what it looks like -- I'll try myself a bit later but got things to do this weekend. Thinking of changing my NAS's from CENTOS to DEBIAN as KDE is being...
  5. UBUNTU VM with KDE Plasma GUI - without whole KUBUNTU overhead

UBUNTU VM with KDE Plasma GUI - without whole KUBUNTU overhead: Hi folks. For Ubuntu users who still like the much nicer (by far IMO) KDE Plasma GUI but don't want the whole KUBUNTU overhead you can do it this way open a terminal and simply type : sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop Note though before logging in to the plasma...
  6. KVM Host --W10 VM with HYPER -V running another VM (Nesting)

KVM Host --W10 VM with HYPER -V running another VM (Nesting): Hi there. It seems some CPU's will handle HYPER-V in a VM running on a Host where a HYPERVISOR (KVM in this case) is already running. One needs to make a few mods otherwise booting up the VM running UNDER the HYPER-V (the 2nd level VM) will freeze. I'm currently...
  7. Linux Host on external SSD with W10 and W7 VM's on 8GB laptop

Linux Host on external SSD with W10 and W7 VM's on 8GB laptop: Hi there I've seen loads of posts almost flaming me for saying running a Windows VM with VMWARE workstation or player from a Linux HOST OS booted from an external SSD would have terrible performance. (I.e boot the Linux OS and from its VMware menu--> power on--> Windows...
  8. Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts

Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts: Hi there This seems to work fine for Windows 10 VM's on some Linux Hosts. 1) Uninstall VMware tools on the VM - shut down but don't re-power on 2) uninstall open-vm-tools on your HOST machine - typically as root or sudo yum autoremove open-vm-tools or whatever it is in...
  9. VLC on W10 VM on Linux Hosts (Workstation 12.1 - Fixed

VLC on W10 VM on Linux Hosts (Workstation 12.1 - Fixed: Hi there. on some Linux Hosts using Vmware workstation / Player VLC doesn't work properly on a Windows 10 VM - you don't get any dropdowns from the menu. A reasonable fix for this (apart from checking that you have any Video drivers installed for your Host system) is to...
  10. W10 Guest VM doesn't see Host W7 Homegroup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    W10 Guest VM doesn't see Host W7 Homegroup: I've been trying in vain to get my W10 VM guest to join up to my W7 host's Homegroup, but the only options I get in the Homegroup section on W10 is to set up a new one, it's as if it's not seeing the Homegroup I already have in place through W7. I thought it would have picked...