Windows 10: hacked? - computer logged into user name I never use

Discus and support hacked? - computer logged into user name I never use in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I got home today and woke my laptop from hibernation and discovered it was logged into the Admin account, which I never use. I am the only one with... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by gypsycomp, Aug 28, 2016.

1. gypsycomp Win User

hacked? - computer logged into user name I never use

I got home today and woke my laptop from hibernation and discovered it was logged into the Admin account, which I never use. I am the only one with overt access to my computer.
    I use a secured wifi, windows firewall (which may be my mistake), and AVG.
    It seems I may have been hacked.
    Any suggestions on discovering what may have happened and, if I was hacked, what I can do to protect myself?
    Thanks in advance.

:)

gypsycomp, Aug 28, 2016

2. Windows 10 on Domain, changed first and last name in Active Directory but change doesn't show up

When I change the first and last name of an account in ADU&C the change does not show up when a user logs into a Windows 10 Pro computer. It shows the original first and last name on logon screen and start menu. Any ideas? Happened on more than one computer
    on more than one account. If the user had never logged onto a computer, the correct first and last name shows up.

Mark Foreman, Aug 28, 2016
  3. i cannot log on to my windows 10 computer

I have upgraded to windows 10..all went well, but now my login screen wants me to log in as a user, using an email address that I do not have access to.

This is an account that hasn't been used by me in years - possibly never (it's a derivative of my user name on the computer)

So I have no password

I have no emails I have sent recently

I have no folders I have created recently

But I do know my date of birth.

MS will not reset a password for this account without more information...information that does not exists.

What I want to do is log on to this compute using the same user name and password that I always did

Help please

RussellD62, Aug 28, 2016
  4. UmmReally Win User

gypsycomp,

1) I'd change all passwords on the computer to something that's very difficult to brute force ie. has Uppercase, lower case, numbers and one or more special characters ($#%^) etc. preferably with 12 or more characters.
    2) You should be able to look at your firewall log (if enabled) to see what the IP hitting your box is (that corresponds to the time logged in).
    3) Run a GOOD trojan scan for any software that might be a trojan. Trojans are the #1 reason computers get compromised. It's much easier for a hacker to compromise a computer if they can get access from the inside out.

(Retired Tier3 MS Debug Engineer)
    J

UmmReally, Aug 28, 2016
  5. simrick Win User
    Hi gypsycomp and welcome to Tenforums.
    This is indeed strange. You are absolutely sure you didn't log into the Admin account to install a program, make some changes to the system, etc.? I don't understand how someone could manipulate the computer, if you put it in hibernation when you left. Did you notice if it was installing any updates? I am just wondering if this Windows Update setting has anything to do with it:

Automatically finish setting up PC after update

• Some updates require you to restart your PC and sign in to Windows in order to finish installing the update, which means you might sign in to Windows and find you can’t use your PC until the update is finished. Windows 10 helps prevent this from happening by allowing Windows to use your sign in info to create a special token. This token is used to automatically sign in after a restart, finish setting up your PC, and then lock your PC to help keep your account and personal info safe.

simrick, Aug 28, 2016
  6. Tonyb Win User
    Tonyb, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. hacked? - computer logged into user name I never use - Similar Threads - hacked computer logged

2. Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer option in User Accounts...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer option in User Accounts...: Hello.Following all the examples online: Went to Registry Entry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PasswordLess\DeviceSet: DevicePasswordLessBuildVersion REG_DWORD value, change the value data from 2 to 0Rebooted the PCI still do not have the...
  3. Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer option in User Accounts...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer option in User Accounts...: Hello.Following all the examples online: Went to Registry Entry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PasswordLess\DeviceSet: DevicePasswordLessBuildVersion REG_DWORD value, change the value data from 2 to 0Rebooted the PCI still do not have the...
  4. User name changed in the start menu. But when I log in it's still my name and the user...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    User name changed in the start menu. But when I log in it's still my name and the user...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Chramir [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lsucm4/user_name_changed_in_the_start_menu_but_when_i/
  5. missing user name at log on

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    missing user name at log on: The moderator says he moved the post at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hello-winpc/missing-windows-10-user-account/46382557-9aa1-45ad-a687-087ed9236948 ...to the appropriate forum category. When the ************* is the appropriate forum?...
  6. Computer / user name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Computer / user name: When I start up my desktop PC it thinks my user name is "12". How do I change that? Also when I go to settings>accounts>your info it shows this "12" above my windows account email....
  7. Have I been hacked?! (User already logged in)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Have I been hacked?! (User already logged in): So i have a fairly fresh install of Windows 10 - i installed about a month ago. I keep my computer logged in and running 24/7. I have a small network with an old domain controller running Windows Server 2000 (yes thats correct). Every morning I unlock my windows 10 PC to...
  8. Have I been hacked?! User already logged in

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Have I been hacked?! User already logged in: So i have a fairly fresh install of Windows 10 - i installed about a month ago. I keep my computer logged in and running 24/7. I have a small network with an old domain controller running Windows Server 2000 yes that's correct. Every morning I unlock my windows 10 PC to start...
  9. Cant log on with user name

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cant log on with user name: I only have one user on my computer . while trying to make some changes I accendtial removed my user name. Help I cant' log in and I do not have a start up disk Is there a place where I can download one?...
  10. Changing user name on used computer

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Changing user name on used computer: I got a used computer and when I set it up I logged in with my Microsoft account. This worked fine it changed my login and I am the admin of this computer. My problem is when I go into the file explorer under user it still says the previous users name. Is there a way to...