Windows 10: Hackers Commandeer Moving Jeep From Miles Away

Discus and support Hackers Commandeer Moving Jeep From Miles Away in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Interestingly they did a test on the new cars 2 years ago at some universities & found they could get control of a car simply by driving alongside it... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Borg 386, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Borg 386 Win User

Hackers Commandeer Moving Jeep From Miles Away

Interestingly they did a test on the new cars 2 years ago at some universities & found they could get control of a car simply by driving alongside it using a laptop to control the cars functions.

Jeep Owners Urged to Get Update After Hackers Commandeer Vehicle - NBC News

Hackers Remotely Kill a Jeep on the Highway?With Me in It | WIRED

:)

Borg 386, Jul 22, 2015

2. Hotmail on phone device location.

I get messages from hotmail of suspicion activities and I checked the location showing my phone currently in use is1000 miles away from me. I was told hackers would be jumping and shows actual location of hacker instead of me. That's scaring me about my
    privacy. How do I report to hotmail?

TonyHebert, Jul 22, 2015
  3. babdi Win User
    NOKIA n95 FACSIAS

Jerseyforte.

Just a question are you 2500 miles or 25,00o miles away from Hawai

babdi, Jul 22, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

That's been a huge story over here.. scary. *Shock

BunnyJ, Jul 22, 2015
  5. This is really something scary alright! and something that needs to be "Fixed" asap!. For right now i am glad that I have a much older used vehicle with NO internet connected systems in it. No bluetooth, internet connection, or wi-fi hot spot.

Matt Siegel, Jul 22, 2015
  6. TheSchaft Win User
    Will this particular problem be solved? Sure. Will that be the end of it? Absolutely not. We're just seeing the beginning.

The general problem with the Internet of Things (IoT) is that security is often an afterthought, if it exists at all. Couple the with the fact that a lot of folks are clueless and don't RTFM, and you have a situation ripe for exploitation - your web-coupled baby monitor, your electronic house door lock that you can lock/unlock from your phone, lights, the thermostat, etc., etc.

Makes one think that the Luddites may have been right *Smile

TheSchaft, Jul 22, 2015
  7. Mystere Win User
    If you actually read the article, it says quite clearly that the researchers are working with Chrysler to fix the problems before they publish the information.

Mystere, Jul 23, 2015
  8. TheSchaft Win User

Chrysler will get this problem fixed, but security, and especially software security, is like "Whack-A-Mole", just when you get one vulnerability fixed, another one pops up.

The "Internet of Things" is going to offer a lot of opportunity for crackers. I have to think that they are licking their chops over Apple's most recent announcement about "HomeKit". Here's a link to Apple's site ( HomeKit - Apple Developer ) and an article on what they can connect it to:

Every single home appliance that works with Apple HomeKit
    Ecobee3 Smart Wi-Fi Thermostat
    Honeywell Lyric Thermostat
    Schlage Sense Door Lock
    Hue Automated Lighting System
    MyQ Garage Opener
    Insteon Hub Pro (lights, temperature, smoke detectors and more)
    Incipio Power Strips, Outlets, and Adapters
    Eve Home Monitoring by Elgato (Eve Room, Eve Door and Window, Eve Energy)
    The Home by Withings (camera that works during the night with time-lapse video recording, a motion sensor, two microphones and even air quality tracking.)
    iHome SmartPlug (lets users group multiple plugs together and control electronics en masse.)
    Tempo Environment Monitor
    iDevices Switch (control multiple electronics remotely without the need for a central hub.)
    ConnectSense Smart Outlet (Like iHome, iDevices, Insteon, etc.)
    Velvetwire PowerSlayer Blu (contemporary charger from Velvetwire )

( From an article at Every single home appliance that works with Apple HomeKit | TechRadar )

Now, IF there aren't any security issues in any of the above, and IF there aren't any ways to break into an iPhone, this will be a useful set of stuff.

On the other hand, this could get really interesting - doors locking and unlocking, thermostat changing to full heat in Summer, lights going on and off, etc. etc.

TheSchaft, Jul 23, 2015
  9. Borg 386 Win User
    Borg 386, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Hackers Commandeer Moving Jeep From Miles Away - Similar Threads - Hackers Commandeer Moving

2. Protection from a hacker

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Protection from a hacker: I paid a guy 50 bucks for hardware liquid cooler installation for a computer I custom built. He also installed Windows 10 and Word software on it. Is it possible for him to have access to my computer? Should I buy a new windows from microsoft instead? submitted by...
  3. Microsoft moving away from UserVoice feedback sites throughout 2021

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft moving away from UserVoice feedback sites throughout 2021: UserVoice Pages Note: We will be moving away from UserVoice feedback sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Microsoft has partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to...
  4. Moving away from Storage Spaces

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving away from Storage Spaces: I would like to migrate my disk array out of the storage space and into a better and easy to manage disk array. Planning on removing one drive at a time in SS and continue to use the actual hdds I have. Looking for advice on which raid or whatever I should use. I'm wanting...
  5. my server comes up 1000 miles away

in Windows 10 Customization
    my server comes up 1000 miles away: my internet server locates 1000 miles away and my download speed is really slow https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-server-comes-up-1000-miles-away/c62373f7-792f-4f95-9a73-82d9dbf3f50e
  6. only on this computer does my server address show 1000 miles away giving me slow speeds

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    only on this computer does my server address show 1000 miles away giving me slow speeds: only on this computer does my server address show 1000 miles away giving me slow speeds https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/only-on-this-computer-does-my-server-address-show/5b4be821-ebfc-4824-9bea-044d2ff0c894
  7. Windows location shows me 1100 miles away

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows location shows me 1100 miles away: I live in LaGrande Oregon but maps, weather, and other apps on a windows 10 system show my location as Yuma Arizona. 1100 miles away. Clearing my location history fails to fix this as does using a different ISP provider. It seems locked into my account as it shows on both my...
  8. Windows are moved away from display port monitors on turn off.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows are moved away from display port monitors on turn off.: Hi I recently upgraded to a new computer and it mostly uses display port connections to the screens. I have two screens connected via DP and one via HDMI, on screen turnoff any windows for either explorer or apps get moved to the HDMI screen. Upon the main screens being...
  9. Message from a hacker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Message from a hacker: Hi, i got an email from a hackers where he said that i have to pay otherwise he will expose all of my private stuff. Is this normal to get? cause i tried to send it to my friend but it bounced back saying that the email provider is blocking this message. Both of us are using...
  10. MS Office Outlook 2016 - Moving away from POP3

in Browsers and Email
    MS Office Outlook 2016 - Moving away from POP3: I currently have 3 email accounts that download to Outlook 2016 using POP3. All accounts download into the same Inbox within Outlook and then I move each to relevant sub-folders as necessary. I have stuck with using POP3 mainly because I tend to just use a desktop computer...