Windows 10: Had to clean install after a corrupt upgrade, how do I re-obtain a key

Discus and support Had to clean install after a corrupt upgrade, how do I re-obtain a key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hey guys, I have a laptop that was originally on Windows 8.1. I upgraded it to Windows 10 recently, however there were a variety of deeply embedded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Iarehealer, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Had to clean install after a corrupt upgrade, how do I re-obtain a key

Hey guys,

I have a laptop that was originally on Windows 8.1. I upgraded it to Windows 10 recently, however there were a variety of deeply embedded issues. I tried every troubleshooting method I could find, tried to revert back to 8.1, and tried to repair and reset Windows 10. Nothing was working, so I had to use installation media from doing a clean install on my PC to install a fresh version of Windows 10 on my laptop.

I was forced to format the hard drive, and delete all the partitions to even get the clean install to work (the upgrade did a real number on my initial system), and because of this I'm now unable to activate Windows 10. The upgrade was the Home edition, and I clean installed the Home N edition (as far as I'm aware there's little to no difference). I made a note of the product key that was listed in the upgraded 10 before the clean install, which I assume was my product key from 8.1 that carried over, as it is 20 characters long and not 25.

Is there any way I can activate my clean installed Windows 10 Home N in this situation?

:)

Iarehealer, Jan 9, 2016

2. Activating Win 10 after clean installation due to system crash.

I upgraded from my win 8.1 to Win 10. Later the system crashed and I had to clean up the hard drive and go for a clean win10 installation. However, both the CD Keys of 8.1 and the upgraded Win 10, which I obtained through CD Key search software, are
    not accepted for activation after clean installation. What to do now for activiating?

MollyLazar, Jan 9, 2016
  3. How to do a clean re-install of Windows 10 ??

I have upgraded to Windows 10 pro from my Windows 8.1 pro OEM. But now I would like to do a clean re-install of Windows 10. What are the right procedures for doing it ?? (now that the free upgrade offer is over, will there be any problem in doing a clean
    re-install now?)

its Benoy here, Jan 9, 2016
  4. Word Man Win User

Had to clean install after a corrupt upgrade, how do I re-obtain a key

That's the fly in your ointment! You established a digital entitlement to the (non-N) Home edition when you first upgraded. You need to have that same edition to do clean install and have it instantly recognized and activated by MS activation servers without providing a product key (or insert original Win 8.1 product key for activation).

There may be little difference between the 2 editions as far as you and I are concerned but it's a significant difference to the MS activation servers.

You need to re-download the correct edition.

P.S. - Welcome to TenForums!

Word Man, Jan 9, 2016
  5. Ah okay. I figured that would be the case. Luckily my product key for the Pro N edition allows me to use it on multiple devices (3 I think) because I'm a student and got it from Dreamspark. I didn't think it would work but my laptop is now saying it is activated and has updated to the Pro N edition.

Thank you for the super fast response though, it is much appreciated and the information is very useful.

Iarehealer, Jan 9, 2016
  6. Word Man Win User
    Aha. Understood. You're quite welcome, Iarehealer, and good luck in your studies.

Word Man, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Had to clean install after a corrupt upgrade, how do I re-obtain a key

1. Had to clean install after a corrupt upgrade, how do I re-obtain a key - Similar Threads - clean install corrupt

2. how do i obtain my bitlocker key,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i obtain my bitlocker key,: my computer tells me what to do but it does not work and i cannot connect my laptop to my microsoft account without the bitlocker key to log into and set it up, but i can’t get my bitlocker key without my laptop linked to my microsoft account,please help...
  3. how do i obtain my bitlocker key,

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i obtain my bitlocker key,: my computer tells me what to do but it does not work and i cannot connect my laptop to my microsoft account without the bitlocker key to log into and set it up, but i can’t get my bitlocker key without my laptop linked to my microsoft account,please help...
  4. How do I obtain my product key?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do I obtain my product key?: Some time ago I upgraded my PC. I now recently booted my old PC up and realized it had W10 Pro. My new one doesn't. I want upgrade my new PC with the product key of this one. I am having trouble getting the actual key though. I've tried some command prompt methods but they...
  5. How do I obtain my product key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I obtain my product key?: Some time ago I upgraded my PC. I now recently booted my old PC up and realized it had W10 Pro. My new one doesn't. I want upgrade my new PC with the product key of this one. I am having trouble getting the actual key though. I've tried some command prompt methods but they...
  6. How do I obtain my product key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How do I obtain the Bitlocker recovery key?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I obtain the Bitlocker recovery key?: On turning on, my Dell laptop said it had no system time. On trying to find a solution, I ended up on a page called 'Bitlocker', asking me to enter the 'recovery key', which also gave me a key ID. It advised to retrieve key by going to...
  8. How to find the key after the upgrade for a clean installation later?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to find the key after the upgrade for a clean installation later?: Microsoft said a clean install of Windows 10 can happen. How do you find the key? Do you have to use a key finder after the upgrade or will Microsoft make it easily available? 9415
  9. Had to Switch to AHCI to Do Clean Install/Re-partition, Switch Back?

Had to Switch to AHCI to Do Clean Install/Re-partition, Switch Back?: I just got an alienware 13 r3 laptop w/ win 10 pro pre-installed. The hard drive is one 500gb ssd drive. I wanted to partition the drive so that my OS was on a 140gb partition, and then the remaining volume for a media drive. I wasn't able to shrink the original install...
  10. Clean re-install after upgrade from Win 7

Clean re-install after upgrade from Win 7: I had Win 7 home on my laptop (64bit), then received and installed the free upgrade to Win 10 in Autumn 2015. The laptop is now running quite erratically and very slow and I feel it is time to do a clean re-install. I do not wish to go back to Win 7, just have a clean...