Windows 10: Had to install 10 pro on pc upgraded to home from 7

Discus and support Had to install 10 pro on pc upgraded to home from 7 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I'll try to make a long story short. A friend upgraded his HP desktop from Windows 7 to 10 during the free upgrade period. When it went bonkers he... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by imperfecT10, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Had to install 10 pro on pc upgraded to home from 7

Hi,

I'll try to make a long story short. A friend upgraded his HP desktop from Windows 7 to 10 during the free upgrade period. When it went bonkers he gave it to me and bought a new computer. The one he gave me went down hard and the only way I could make it work was to make a rescue drive with the system files on my computer (which has 10 pro). So the gift computer works fine but can't activate windows 10 because it's the wrong version (pro, not home). I've spent a lot of time with MS tech support people (all kinds of problems with that) but it depends on who I get as to what can be done. The latest tech says I have to have the Windows 10 home product key from the friend's computer or I'm out of luck. I only have the Windows 7 key for that system. Shouldn't MS have a record of my friend's upgrade to 10? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

:)

imperfecT10, Jun 16, 2018
  2. NickSteel Win User

Query on Clean installation of Windows 10 Pro on Windows 7 Pro PC.

Original Title: Windows 7 Pro (from MS upgrade key) to Windows 10 Pro - Clean Install

My Gateway NV7923U X64 came with Windows 7 Home installed.

I purchased an upgrade key from MS and upgraded to Windows 7 Pro.

I need to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro and then do a clean install.

• Will my existing upgraded Windows 7 Pro now upgrade to Windows 10 Pro automatically, or do I need to perform additional steps?
    • Will I be able to do a clean install and have Windows 10 Pro after upgrading?

NickSteel, Jun 17, 2018
  3. CK011885 Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Jun 17, 2018
  4. Nordic Win User

Had to install 10 pro on pc upgraded to home from 7

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Jun 17, 2018
Thema:

Had to install 10 pro on pc upgraded to home from 7

1. Had to install 10 pro on pc upgraded to home from 7 - Similar Threads - install pro upgraded

2. Upgraded from windows 7 Home, to Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgraded from windows 7 Home, to Windows 10 Pro: Hey guys I recently upgraded my Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit to Windows 10 64 bit Pro V. 1909. I logged onto my computer with windows 7 still activated, inserted the windows 10 disk as it prompted me, for upgrading. I did that, everything went smooth. Although when i went...
  3. upgrade windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro on windows 10 Home pc ?

upgrade windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro on windows 10 Home pc ?: Win7 to win10 upgrades are still free right now. if you buy a laptop that comes with w10home with an embedded key uefi then you reformat and transfer a win7pro license/install, upgrade to win10pro for free will win10pro get activated? or will it try to read the embedded...
  4. upgrade from windows 7 home to windows 10 pro

upgrade from windows 7 home to windows 10 pro: i have brought windows 10 pro and downloaded it to a memory stick but my windows 7 is asking for a anytime upgrade key to upggrade how or where do i get one ....
  5. Upgrading from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Pro

Upgrading from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Pro: Please can someone advise if it is possible to upgrade directly from Windows 7 (working laptop) to Windows 10 Pro using a Microsoft Windows 10 Flashdrive? (full Windows 10 Pro flashdrive purchased from Microsoft) I appreciate I can install a clean Windows 10 Pro...
  6. Windows 10 installation upgrading from 7 Pro error

Windows 10 installation upgrading from 7 Pro error: Windows 10 Couldn’t be installed Errors 0x8007042B 0x2000D The installation failed in SAFE_OS phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation...
  7. Upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Pro

Upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Pro: I'd like to upgrade my Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Pro. Which version of 10 Pro will upgrade, while leaving my existing programs & files intact? I need to do this before Windows 7 is phased out. I see Frys Electronics is selling an "OEM" version of 10 Pro. Will...
  8. Had to install 10 pro on pc upgraded to home from 7. Can't activate.

Had to install 10 pro on pc upgraded to home from 7. Can't activate.: Hi, I'll try to make a long story short. A friend upgraded his HP desktop from Windows 7 to 10 during the free upgrade period. When it went bonkers he gave it to me and bought a new computer. The one he gave me went down hard and the only way I could make it work was to make...
  9. Has Anyone Had an Upgrade Notification From Windows 7 Pro?

in Windows 10 Support
    Has Anyone Had an Upgrade Notification From Windows 7 Pro?: All my Windows 7 Home PCs at home have now been sent an upgrade notification, but none of my Windows 7 Pro PCs have. I wonder if Microsoft are holding back the Pro update on the basis that most users will download the ISO? 12604
  10. Install Win 7 Pro on Win 8.1 PC already upgraded to Win 10 Home

Install Win 7 Pro on Win 8.1 PC already upgraded to Win 10 Home: Hello Guys, On my laptop, I had Windows 8.1 Base/ Home pre installed. Then I updated the laptop to Windows 10 Home successfully. If I can now somehow buy a Windows 7 Pro license and install W7 Pro on this laptop and then upgrade it to W10. Will it then be a W10 Pro...