Windows 10: Half of my programs would crash or refuse to open. Windows cant reset or repair!

Discus and support Half of my programs would crash or refuse to open. Windows cant reset or repair! in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, this is a tough nut to crack for me, so please bear with me as I try and summerize what has happend. so one morning I booted up my PC to find... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by retroduck, Jul 13, 2018.

1. retroduck Win User

Half of my programs would crash or refuse to open. Windows cant reset or repair!

Hello, this is a tough nut to crack for me, so please bear with me as I try and summerize what has happend.

so one morning I booted up my PC to find that discord, a program that I commonly use has been showing an odd error whenever I try and launch it. I shrug this off as this has happend before. I slowly learn that discord is not the only program that is failing on me. A lot of other programs fail to open or crash on startup. Some giving me "bad image" errors, I will provide a screenshot of one of them. Then windows tells me I need to repair something (I think it was a drive). So I let windows do its thing but half way through the repair it says windows encountered an error and it could not repair. At this point I decide maybe a reset could fix things. There is nothing I cannot re download. So windows begins to reset, "windows encountered an error, no changes were made." So I contact windows tech support via the get help app, none of the remote connections work. So they leave me with a windows installation file to download. Using that, windows fails to reset too. Some programs work like chrome, which I am using to type this. I am running low on ideas, so I came here for help.

I am very sorry about the length of this post. But so much happend and I wanted to tell the whole story in one post.

P.S SFC /scannow doesn't work either.

Half of my programs would crash or refuse to open. Windows cant reset or repair! 325b8c74-7708-4f18-aafe-9b091387168c?upload=true.png

Replicated the error that I encountered with tech support, many other Bad image errors occur.

Thank you for reading and I hope I came to the right place for help!

:)

retroduck, Jul 13, 2018
  2. zbook Win User

Programs not working

In post 26 there were steps listed to fix the operating system corruption.
    Are you able to follow them?
    In post 29 was the suggested dism repair command.

zbook, Jul 13, 2018
  3. peach1971 Win User
    all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Jul 13, 2018
  4. Half of my programs would crash or refuse to open. Windows cant reset or repair!

Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Jul 13, 2018
Thema:

Half of my programs would crash or refuse to open. Windows cant reset or repair!

1. Half of my programs would crash or refuse to open. Windows cant reset or repair! - Similar Threads - Half programs crash

2. Programs wont open in half screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Programs wont open in half screen: I'm using Windows 11, and I love the snap feature that sets a program to half screen. I'm tired of having to set it to half screen every time I open it though, how do I set programs to open up in half screen?...
  3. Programs wont open in half screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Programs wont open in half screen: I'm using Windows 11, and I love the snap feature that sets a program to half screen. I'm tired of having to set it to half screen every time I open it though, how do I set programs to open up in half screen?...
  4. Programs refuse to open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Programs refuse to open: Ok so, I've been having this issue for a while now and I have no idea what is happening. So far. for a couple of my programs refuse to open. Whether I double click on them, run as administrator, make shortcuts. etc. I've tried everything but they refuse to open. They do not...
  5. Programs refuse to open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Programs refuse to open: Ok so, I've been having this issue for a while now and I have no idea what is happening. So far. for a couple of my programs refuse to open. Whether I double click on them, run as administrator, make shortcuts. etc. I've tried everything but they refuse to open. They do not...
  6. Programs refuse to open

7. half life / counter strike crashes on opening

half life / counter strike crashes on opening: hello, every time I open half life, conter strike 1.6 or another game made with the goldscr game engine, it always shows me this and after a few seconds it crashes, I just bought the valve complete pack and I want to play counter strike 1.6...
  8. Opening programs keep appearing half offscreen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Opening programs keep appearing half offscreen: Like in the title, whenever I open a new program whether its powerpoint or word or chrome, the program appears half off screen and part showing so that I then have to drag it out and maximize the screen. Ultimately it's a minor annoyance and not a huge issue, but I would love...
  9. Windows refuses to reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows refuses to reset: So here it is. Everything that happened with trying to reset resulted in this message- "We couldn't complete the updates. Undoing changes. Don't turn off your computer" So basically since 12pm yesterday to 1am last night, I attempted to reset my ASUS home laptop. I tried...
  10. Why Would/How Could Ports Refuse to Open?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why Would/How Could Ports Refuse to Open?: Not sure where this belongs but it certainly could be a networking question. I port forward on the router so's web traffic can access my IIS installation on one machine on my LAN. But the ports never open on this machine. No traffic gets in. No port checker reports the...