Windows 10: Hangup cause identified but not fixed

Discus and support Hangup cause identified but not fixed in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've several times reported an intermittent hangup where I cannot start programs for up to 10 minutes, but already running programs continue running.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pokeefe0001, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Hangup cause identified but not fixed

I've several times reported an intermittent hangup where I cannot start programs for up to 10 minutes, but already running programs continue running. (The 10 minutes is a sort of a guess. I usually power down and restart rather than wait.) I've confirmed at least one cause - Windows Update: when it's installing some updates I cannot start any programs. And one of the updates I get (nearly) daily is the "Microsoft .Net Native Framework Package 1.2.23205.0" fix.

Today I was hit by the hangup and disconnected from the web - pulled my ethernet cable from my router. About 3 minutes later the hangup ended and the Event View showed Windows Update failures. Success, sort of.

There are a number of threads - some marked "Solved" - that apparently do not solve the problem, but I have not seen a single posting from anyone reporting success from anyone using them. Even the supposedly solution given by Microsoft was prevented from working by an insufficient access authority. (I haven't tried them all because some of them do a lot more that supposedly fix this problem.)

Does anyone know of a solution that has actually worked for people with this problem?

:)

pokeefe0001, Jun 12, 2016

2. Critical Process Died adding printer

it's not an issue with an installed printer. adding printer 'not on the list' via IP causes hangup 'Critical Process'

PO'd10user, Jun 12, 2016
  3. N97 Mini Music player hangs very often

Please note that the phone has limited RAM. Are you running too many applications on the background or RAM eating widgets? This could cause hangups.

chanchan05, Jun 12, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Hangup cause identified but not fixed

Any third party Malware Software installed?

bro67, Jun 12, 2016
  5. Kaspersky Internet Security 2016. (I think I had 2015 when I first installed Win 10.) Are you inquiring about a possible cause or a possible solution?

pokeefe0001, Jun 12, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    There in lies your problem. You just solved why you are having this issue.

bro67, Jun 13, 2016
  7. Explain, please. Or are you just expressing a dislike of Kaspersky?

pokeefe0001, Jun 13, 2016
  8. Hangup cause identified but not fixed

Hi, @pokeefe0001:

There is no inherent reason why Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) (or KAV or KTS) would cause the behavior you report, as long as you are running the latest version of KAV/KIS/KTS 2016.
    (I run KIS on my Win7 boxes and will be installing on my new Win10 system as soon as I get that unpacked...)

The 2015 versions were NOT Win10-compatible.

So, if you were running KAV/KIS/KTS 2015 prior to upgrading to Win10, and especially if you did not cleanly upgrade from KIS 2015 to KIS 2016 after the Win10 upgrade, then I suggest the following...

1) Make sure you have your KIS 2016 license info handy, just in case.
    2) Download -- but do NOT run yet -- the KIS 2016 installer from the global site or from the KL page in your locale; save it to your desktop.
    3) Disable KIS Self Defense (GUI > settings > Additional > Self-Defense).
    4) Exit from KIS: right click the KIS system tray icon > exit
    5) Uninstall KIS from the Windows Control Panel (keep ONLY license info, if you wish)
    6) Reboot
    7) Run the fresh copy of the KIS 2016 installer that you previously saved > activate > update > reboot > update again.

That should get you to a fresh, clean install of the current, Win10-compatible version of KIS 2016.
    >>This may or may NOT be contributing to the issues you report, but having a clean install of the correct version of KIS won't hurt.

There is more information HERE.

If you have remnants of other anti-virus applications on the system, you'll want to be sure to cleanly remove them, as well (using the vendor's removal tool, if available).

Please post back and let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Jun 13, 2016
  9. I think that can't be the problem. I don't remember exactly when I upgraded to KIS 2016, but it was long before the clean reinstall of Win10 I did a month ago. This copy of Windows has seen only KIS 2016. Except ... I exported the KIS configuration from KIS 2015 and imported it into KIS 2016 so I wouldn't have to redo all my firewall settings. I don't think that is the problem since I am having the weird update problem on only 1 of 3 Win10 systems, but I suppose it could be related.

pokeefe0001, Jun 13, 2016
  10. Hi:

It's highly discouraged to export KIS settings between major program versions (e.g. 2015 and 2016), because so much changes under the hood from one version to the next.
    "Best practice" is to cleanly upgrade between major versions, keeping only license information.
    At least that has been my experience and the consistent recommendation at the KL user forums for many years.

Also, if you are running any other security products with realtime protection (e.g. anti-malware and/or anti-exploit applications), you might want to set mutual "exclusions" between those applications and KIS.

But it's up to you, of course.*Smile

Cheers and good luck,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Jun 13, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    Did I state anything about not liking something? The answer is no. You stated what the cause of your issue is. Delete it and most likely the issue will go away with that error.

Third Party Security software has been an issue with Windows 10.

bro67, Jun 13, 2016
  12. Hi:*Smile

I mean no disrespect, but that's an awfully broad statement with no supporting data.
    All of the major 3rd-party security vendors offer fully Windows-10 compatible products that work just fine on that platform.
    If they did not, they would all be folding up shop and going out of business.

It's certainly the individual user's choice whether to go with Windows Defender or another product, and it's impossible to predict how any one software application will perform on any one system (each computer is unique).
    And a temporary, clean uninstall for troubleshooting is not unreasonable.

But properly installed and configured, KIS (and numerous other anti-virus, anti-malware and anti-exploit programs) work just fine under Windows 10.

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Jun 14, 2016
  13. Hangup cause identified but not fixed

And as I said, this version of Kaspersky is causing no problems on 2 other computers of mine. Has there been a report of 3rd party security software causing this particular update problem? At least one person reporting the problem uses Norton. I don't know about the others.

pokeefe0001, Jun 14, 2016
  14. Hi:

Each computer is unique.
    What works on one system may not work the same on another system.
    My original advice regarding a proper clean reinstall of KIS 2016 was merely a "best practices" recommendation that could be deployed with a period of testing before reinstalling it to see if your issue resolves with KIS 2016 uninstalled.
    That would help to point to KIS as possibly contributing to the issue (perhaps the imported 2015 configuration settings).

In order to tease it out, it would help to know if the problem reoccurs after reinstalling KIS with a proper, clean reinstall.

This is how I would approach it:
    1) Temporarily, cleanly uninstall KIS, as I previously described (saving ONLY license info, not settings). Do not reinstall KIS yet, and run with the native WD and WF for a while.
    2) If the problem resolves with KIS uninstalled, then I would proceed to the next step: a clean reinstall of KIS 2016.A. If the problem returns with KIS reinstalled, then that suggests that there is something going on with your system/configuration/software-conflict/etc.; further work would be needed to sort it out.
    B. If the problem does NOT return with KIS reinstalled, then the issue might be attributed to the prior KIS installation that was fixed by the clean reinstall.
    C. It's important to be sure to verify after reinstalling KIS that both WD and WF are disabled. Having either of those running in the background could cause issues, not only with KIS, but with most other 3rd-party AV/firewall programs.3) Needless to say, if the problem persists despite uninstalling KIS and leaving it uninstalled, then the root cause is something else.

>>It would help to know what other security applications are now installed or have been previously installed on this system. Leftovers and remnants can cause subtle performance and stability issues.

Not that I am aware of, but I will defer to others more expert in these matters.

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Jun 14, 2016
  15. I decided to wait until the problem recurs before taking action. The previous 2 weeks did not have an occurrence on Wed., Thur, or Fri. This week is different. the .Net fix hasn't been downloaded since Sunday, and there has been no hangup. Odd.

pokeefe0001, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Hangup cause identified but not fixed

1. Hangup cause identified but not fixed - Similar Threads - Hangup cause identified

2. system_thread_exception_error with hangup's

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system_thread_exception_error with hangup's: Dear All,I have this problem and what happens is the laptop hangs up after try to repair Windows. Even if I try to boot from the Original Windows 10 CD, it goes through the process of re-installing and then hangs up in-between and it turns off. It came up with the error as...
  3. system_thread_exception_error with hangup's

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    system_thread_exception_error with hangup's: Dear All,I have this problem and what happens is the laptop hangs up after try to repair Windows. Even if I try to boot from the Original Windows 10 CD, it goes through the process of re-installing and then hangs up in-between and it turns off. It came up with the error as...
  4. system_thread_exception_error with hangup's

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Help identifying DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE cause

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help identifying DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE cause: Hello,I've been having some BSOD issues for a while now on my laptop Asus ROG G771JMC, running Windows 8.1. They're seemingly at random and the reason listed is always DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE . I haven't been able to identify the cause, and I'd like to try and prevent them...
  6. BSOD cannot identify cause

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD cannot identify cause: Hi, for about a month I have been having frequent BSOD on my Windows 10 PC. I have updated all my drivers, ensured there are no viruses on my computer, and run windows diagnostics. I suspect it might be one of my usb devices but I can't identify what it is.These are the error...
  7. Rampant instances of corruption - Can’t identify cause or fix

Rampant instances of corruption - Can’t identify cause or fix: This problem in particular has given me much grief over the last few months. The reliability of Windows has been rapidly declining, and I’ve been forced to perform 6 or 7 clean installs with a formatting of the primary partition each time. I don’t mind doing it; Onedrive...
  8. Identifying root cause of BYOD

Identifying root cause of BYOD: Hi, I've got a computer with a BYOD about every half an hour or less. So far I have: Looked up BYOD codes and tried the following: 1. Rolled back drivers for ones updated before the BYOD started occuring 2. Applied outstanding Windows Updates 3. Checked for any BIOS...
  9. Identifying driver causing BSOD

Identifying driver causing BSOD: My laptop suddenly went into BSOD with the error IRQL_NOTLESS_OR_EQUAL. I tried using a bsod viewer to identify the driver but it just states ntoskrnl.exe. I have the dump files available, will it be helpful in identifying the driver that is causing this issue?...
  10. Hangups

Hangups: My computer with Windows 10 is hanging up. I get (not responding on Microsoft applications. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hangups/43036d20-c8f7-4f4b-9151-5173140b6e9e